How necessary are cool tubes?

upinvapor

I have this 400W HPS from HTG Supply ( High Tech Garden Supply ). I am going to set up a Grow Box with this layout using CFLs in the mother and clone veg chambers and the 400W HPS and some CFLs for good measure in the flowering chamber. The ballast for that light will be sitting on top of the box and the light of course will be in the flowering chamber.

I am planning on using passive intakes and active exhaust in all 3 of the chambers. 2 of these 6" duct fans will be used in the flowering chamber for ventilation: ( High Tech Garden Supply ) along with 2 good sized passive intakes in the chamber opposite wall from the exhaust fans. I will be using 4" PC fans for exhaust with passive intakes in both the mother and clone chambers.

With this setup, how necessary is setting up a cool tube for the light? Will the two 6" duct fans be enough to vent the flowering chamber without a cool tube? With the chamber being 6' tall, I would assume that should leave enough room for the plants to grow as tall as needed with room for the HPS to be far enough during growing?

Its really hard to tell. If you have a vented hood I would try it without the ducting hooked up to it first and just rely on the 6" exhaust vent and see how it does.

cool tubes are amazingly efficient at moving air but provide very little reflectivity compared to an well designed air cooled hood. if using smaller fans or want your lights very close cooltubes work fantastic but i still prefer a nice air cooled hood currently using super sun 2 6" with 160cfm fan and 250 and temps are around 74. 6-8" from bulb.

cool tubes are amazingly efficient at moving air but provide very little reflectivity compared to an well designed air cooled hood. if using smaller fans or want your lights very close cooltubes work fantastic but i still prefer a nice air cooled hood currently using super sun 2 6" with 160cfm fan and 250 and temps are around 74. 6-8" from bulb.

:thumb:

Cool Tubes have notoriously bad 'footprints'.

I agree with the nice air cooled hood. Mo Betta.:yummy:

DD

Back
Top Bottom