How Should I Store My Seeds?

I saw a documentary about 10 years ago about Green House Seed Company in Amsterdam. From what i remember they just stored the seeds in large organized shelves, no refrigeration or freezer.

Those were most defiantly freshly harvest seeds

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Those were most defiantly freshly harvest seeds

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Most likely a high turn over rate, they probably did not have to worry about long term storage. I also remembered them storing the seeds in some green anti fungal powder. Ive ordered seeds from them a few times and have never seen this powder on the seeds. So im not sure what was going on..

Store seeds in a low humidity and low temperature environment, and keep both stable. Cannabis is an annual - its seeds remain outside during the off-season. Use sterile container, keep sealed away from light and anything that may affect it. IOW, the usual good storage practices that you'd follow with most things. If your "Winter conditions" end up being longer than the standard one that occurs in nature, well, we've had several extended-Winter events throughout the many thousands of years that cannabis has been in existence as a species - and it's still extant, lol.

I've got 5 yr old seeds i get 90% pop rate still. I just keep them in a small glass candle jar with rice. I will say they seem to be losing vigor as time goes on though.

Don't freeze your seeds in a normal freezer, you'll kill them all. Just keep them in a jar or vile, in a cool place away from light. You'll have viable seed for about five to six years. Over this time germination rates will slowly drop as seeds die. That's normal.

Don't freeze your seeds in a normal freezer, you'll kill them all.

Because cannabis seeds NEVER freeze in nature in the Winter between the time that they have been produced and the time that they germinate the following Spring?

Ohwaitaminute...

I'm guessing that all (or at least most) of the seeds stored at very low temperatures in the various isolated "in the event of a planet-wide catastrophe" seed vaults is still viable, too. And they aren't storing seeds against the need to use them next week, or even next year - they are meant to be stored for decades.

I'll admit that there will be far less temperature variance in those facilities than in the average freezer. I just do not believe that presents any real significance to the average cannabis grower, one who is not planning on storing his/her seed stock for 50 years at a time.

Ever wonder why most types of seeds don't burst when you freeze them, like (for example) a sealed glass jar full of water would? It's almost like they are made to survive freezing temperatures, lol.

Seeds survive winter if they are buried under soil or ground cover which protects them from freezing temperatures. If you put a bunch of pot seeds in a glass jar in your deep freeze where they will be subjected to temps well below freezing for extended periods of time they'll freeze and die. Straight up no b.s..

Note, I'll add to this a caveat, some plants produce seeds that have built in freeze preventative compounds in them. Marijuana doesn't exhibit this behavior.

I cannot fault your reasoning. And the mention of certain species having substances within them to better facilitate survival in cold temperatures makes sense, too. That's how some marine life (and, for that matter, Eskimos) survive their environments.

All I know is that I have stored seeds in my freezer with no noticeable issues. When I wanted to grow these two strains (high sativa content, so one might consider them to be more "tropical" in their makeup than some other strains, I suppose), I removed the two Ziploc baggies that contained the respective breeder packs, quickly removed one seed from each, transferred them to two glassine envelopes (<SHRUGS>), and placed those into the refrigerator overnight. Then I did the usual thing, and got seedlings from them.

My freezer sucks, TBH - but it'll make an ice cube.

IDK. The low and stable humidity is probably far more important than the temperature. And, again, I haven't noticed my seeds burst from getting too cold. Maybe I ought to take some to Mom's house and stick them into her standalone freezer (it's cold enough that you cannot scoop ice cream from a carton straight from the freezer), then go back a day or two later and look at their physical state. There's a bag of a few hundred seeds around here that a buddy once gave me - he's a bit of a lightweight, so I confess that I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to his glowing recommendation about the quality of the bud that they came from and, instead, just thanked him and put them somewhere. If I get properly motivated, I might do this and try to germinate them. After checking to see whether they will germinate NOW, of course. I'm afraid they've been in temperatures from "just warm enough that the pipes won't freeze" to "oh man, I can't stand this heat!" - so they may not be viable as it is.

Back
Top Bottom