How this works and what are they talking about? +rep

Hi everyone,
Today a fellow member sent me a private message complimenting me on the advice I gave someone about "Need electrical advice" That was cool and I told them thanks but they say said something about they gave me +rep and wants to give me more +rep but it is to soon and the site will not allow it that soon after already giving +rep.

My question to you is.... What is +rep? and how does it work? I am assuming it has something to do with reputation for giving "good" advice but hey we all know what happens to me when I assume:thumb:

I tried searching for it and got no where and had no idea where to start looking.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if you only tell me where the information is on this web site.

Many thanks in advance and more to follow

So with 94 views, either no one else has a clue how this works or some of the 94 know but it would be to much effort for them to post.
My guess is I am not the only one who does not have a clue as to how this works. I am guessing it has to do with the green bar below your name since as a new member mine is super short and others who have been around a long time have long green ones.

But if it has something to do with say points towards a contest or something like that I really would like to know because there are a few individuals on this site that I feel have not only gone above and beyond to be helpful to myself and to others that I have noticed, but they also have made me feel right at home here even though technically I am still a stranger amongst you all. I would want to give them the credit they deserve.

Yes it is the green bar. Rep doesn't get you anything but it shows how many times people have really felt you posted something valuable. It is a metric on a lot of different forums so people can recognize at a glance if a person holds "respect". It is similar to likes but also involves a written shout out and show of appreciation for your particular post. Just another fun way to interact on the forum. I don't pay attention to rep but I do like to get and give it as a matter of courtesy and approval.

Yes it is the green bar. Rep doesn't get you anything but it shows how many times people have really felt you posted something valuable. It is a metric on a lot of different forums so people can recognize at a glance if a person holds "respect". It is similar to likes but also involves a written shout out and show of appreciation for your particular post. Just another fun way to interact on the forum. I don't pay attention to rep but I do like to get and give it as a matter of courtesy and approval.

on the vbulletin forums, it is also a nice private way to send a quick kudos to someone with a little private note saying why you did it. Simply liking something someone says is sort of a comment, but it doesnt add to someone's reputation. Reputation also builds up, so a person with lot of reputation can "give" more reputation than someone who does not have this credit behind their name. So, getting a rep+ from a long time member with a lot of rep, can give you a lot of rep... it pays to be recognized by someone big. If I really want to reward someone for something they posted, it deserves more than a simple 'like".

Back
Top Bottom