How to build an odorless bud drier

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Well, after months of deliberating how to dry stealthily, I decided to make my own version of Quickgrow's Herb Dryer, which they sell for $365!

PHASE 1 : The Plan
The drier is just a Rubbermaid with a carbon filter in it, with a fan sucking air through the filter and out of the cab. My only question was the type of fan used/CFM rating/etc. I discovered the pro-built boxes use only a cheap little muffin fan.

PHASE 2 : Gather Materials

In total this cost me about $55-60:

Rubbermaid container (about $15).
Inline fan - $22
scrubber - parts- $25,
carbon- $10
electrical cord - from a power strip (thanks, Dub.)
shelves and mounts - hardware cloth leftover from scrubber plans and screws I had laying around.

I had to decide which fan and filter to use. Well, after seeing prices on fans and filters, I was discontent. I came upon the SunScrubber, which I’m sure many of you are endearingly familiar with, and I knew it was right. Not so much because its sleek and bad as hell, but because its cheap and customizable.

While on the Home Depot trip to pick up scrubber materials, I was looking at their selection of inline fans. They had 4" - 80cfm, 6" - 250cfm, and 8" - 500cfm. I grabbed the 4" (80 cfm) because my scrubber uses a 4" opening, and because I believe 250 cfms is too much for this purpose. It cost $21.99. The 250cfm was only $24.99.

PHASE 3 : Construction
First, I constructed my scrubber.

DIY Pro-Style Compact Carbon Filter/Scrubber >$50 (by Sun is Shining)

I traced a circle around my inline fan to mark where it would be placed on the Rubbermaid. Using a butter knife and a lighter (the absolute worst way to do this) I cut a hole to snuggly fit my inline fan.

The fan was pushed through, with the fan blowing out of the box. The scrubber was slipped right onto the fan.

The drying racks: for this, I stuck some 3" screws through the sides to act as rails, on top of which is placed appropriately sized sheets of hardware cloth, which were left over from the scrubber. I will be utilizing 3 trays, approx. 3" apart vertically, giving me a little under 12 ft2 drying area.

I drilled a bunch of little holes in the lid for intakes. If these holes become an odor leak during the trial run, I will remedy this by purchasing a replacement odor stop furnace filter sheet, and place it over the holes, on the inner side of the lid.

How does it work?
I have run the first test with this machine and it has passed with flying colors. It dried the small white rhino buds from my 125w cfl grow in 2 days. They were crispy, but after being in the jar overnight, they have regained some pliability.

Also, no odor was detected from the drying process. The room even seemed a little fresher.

[Editor's note: it is easy and worthwhile to put the fan on a dimmer to slow down the rpm's and make drying a little slower. For best results, hook the fan up to a humidistat to dial in your relative humidty to a desired r.h.%]

"Well, after months of deliberating how to dry stealthily, I decided to make my own version of Quickgrow's Herb Dryer, which they sell for $365!"

OMG I serched this quick grows herb dryer and it is just a plastic box with holes in the top and an exhaust fan and a drying rack, you could seriously build one for like $30, if there herb dryer is constructed of anything more than that please someone let me know, makes me wonder how many of these things they sell for $365, and the oderless one with a carbon filter was more than $600, WOW !

good money saveing tip medical marijuana :peace:

ha ha this post started in 2007 and it's only replies have been in 2009, :roorrip:

Drying in 2 days seems like a rush :goodluck:< youve taken Months to bud and now your going to rush the Medicine...:hmmmm:

Go to the library and pick up a comprehensive book on home brewing beer. Beer geeks tend to grow their own hops and have more ways to dry the hop flowers quickly and passively w/o destroying the resins than you can shake a stick at. As most of you know hops and weed are first cousins,preserving the delicate resins and other flavor substances are critical in drying hops.

Most of the driers can be built out of nothing but window screen and furring strips. If you want to get fancy you can add a fan,but it's not necessary. In a warm room with good ventilation and low humidity your bud will be dry and ready to cure in 5-10 days.

A two day drying period locks in too much chlorophyll. You can cure it post quick-dry until kingdom come but it's still going to have a harsh bite and generate mucho cottonmouth.

You can build one of these hop dryers in nothing more than a cardboard box and use flexible conduit to send the smell wherever you want it. Stealthly pipe it to your most obnoxious neighbors crawl space and make 'em think a skunk has died under their house.

I got a small tent with a filter in it

Well, after months of deliberating how to dry stealthily, I decided to make my own version of Quickgrow's Herb Dryer, which they sell for $365!

PHASE 1 : The Plan
The drier is just a Rubbermaid with a carbon filter in it, with a fan sucking air through the filter and out of the cab. My only question was the type of fan used/CFM rating/etc. I discovered the pro-built boxes use only a cheap little muffin fan.

PHASE 2 : Gather Materials

In total this cost me about $55-60:

Rubbermaid container (about $15).
Inline fan - $22
scrubber - parts- $25,
carbon- $10
electrical cord - from a power strip (thanks, Dub.)
shelves and mounts - hardware cloth leftover from scrubber plans and screws I had laying around.

I had to decide which fan and filter to use. Well, after seeing prices on fans and filters, I was discontent. I came upon the SunScrubber, which I’m sure many of you are endearingly familiar with, and I knew it was right. Not so much because its sleek and bad as hell, but because its cheap and customizable.

While on the Home Depot trip to pick up scrubber materials, I was looking at their selection of inline fans. They had 4" - 80cfm, 6" - 250cfm, and 8" - 500cfm. I grabbed the 4" (80 cfm) because my scrubber uses a 4" opening, and because I believe 250 cfms is too much for this purpose. It cost $21.99. The 250cfm was only $24.99.

PHASE 3 : Construction
First, I constructed my scrubber.

DIY Pro-Style Compact Carbon Filter/Scrubber >$50 (by Sun is Shining)

I traced a circle around my inline fan to mark where it would be placed on the Rubbermaid. Using a butter knife and a lighter (the absolute worst way to do this) I cut a hole to snuggly fit my inline fan.

The fan was pushed through, with the fan blowing out of the box. The scrubber was slipped right onto the fan.

The drying racks: for this, I stuck some 3" screws through the sides to act as rails, on top of which is placed appropriately sized sheets of hardware cloth, which were left over from the scrubber. I will be utilizing 3 trays, approx. 3" apart vertically, giving me a little under 12 ft2 drying area.

I drilled a bunch of little holes in the lid for intakes. If these holes become an odor leak during the trial run, I will remedy this by purchasing a replacement odor stop furnace filter sheet, and place it over the holes, on the inner side of the lid.

How does it work?
I have run the first test with this machine and it has passed with flying colors. It dried the small white rhino buds from my 125w cfl grow in 2 days. They were crispy, but after being in the jar overnight, they have regained some pliability.

Also, no odor was detected from the drying process. The room even seemed a little fresher.

[Editor's note: it is easy and worthwhile to put the fan on a dimmer to slow down the rpm's and make drying a little slower. For best results, hook the fan up to a humidistat to dial in your relative humidty to a desired r.h.%]
Pics?

I just use white upholstery thread and go through the branch ends. I then hang it in a dark cool stairwell to dry for a few weeks before the jarring. Not exactly "odorless":rolleyes: (I do not bother worrying about the smell) but it turns out nice.
I try to chop the branches into lengths that fit into half-gallon jars and trim as I smoke it to try not to disturb the trichomes by handling it too much.

It's been two weeks in air conditioning but it's still too humid for a proper dry like one can do in winter (Iowa winters are cold which means no humidity of course ) so I just bought a $35 ($23 Amazon warehouse deal)
"HomeLabs" Small Space Dehumidifier with Auto Shut Off. It can pull a whopping 9 ounces of water from 150 cubic feet per day so it's a cardboard box and this thing to get it dry enough to smoke.

June 20-21 is the Bevington Bluegrass festival and I really need to get this dry. Iowa isn't legal but this festival is.
The shutdown is over for Deadheads in Iowa :yahoo::slide::yahoo::ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom