How to change the 12/12 to new time?

Currently, I have it set at 6pm light on and 6am light off. I want to change my time to 4am on and 4pm off. Should I go ahead and do it at the new time or should I give it full off one day before doing so?

Thanks!

they will be fine with no light for the 22 hours, I`ve done it. peace!

I just did that with mine,, moved from 6:30am-6:30pm to 12pm-12am..
gave it an extra 6 hours of dark, and they did not have any issues at all..

they will be fine with no light for the 22 hours, I`ve done it. peace!

I agree. Always go with more dark time than light time when needing to do a time change. I think plants kinda like it too. I always see explosive growth after an elongated dark period. It's like the girls make up for lost time or something.

not to highjack...but.
what if your going from indoor under HID 9pm on /9am off, to outdoor ? (3-4 weeks of flowering.)
Would it be better to change the indoor cycle to mach the outdoor before taking it outside? or just keep em off at 9pm and put em outside that night, for a dark cycle of almost 24 hours?. (under a shade filter for a few days for acclimatization of course)

I guess my question is would the dual shock of nearly 24 hours dark and moving outside at the same time be too much for the gals to take? I guess i could try just one as a test.
:rollit:

not to highjack...but.
what if your going from indoor under HID 9pm on /9am off, to outdoor ? (3-4 weeks of flowering.)
Would it be better to change the indoor cycle to mach the outdoor before taking it outside? or just keep em off at 9pm and put em outside that night, for a dark cycle of almost 24 hours?. (under a shade filter for a few days for acclimatization of course)

I guess my question is would the dual shock of nearly 24 hours dark and moving outside at the same time be too much for the gals to take? I guess i could try just one as a test.

IMO I dont think the extra long night period is a shock to the plant, I`ve never done the inside to outside before but I think your shade idea is spot on, peace man!

not to highjack...but.

Simply put, no.
I move clones that are vegging indoors to continue to veg and bloom out doors. I do about what you said and give them morning Sun and dappled sun/shade for the rest of the day for about three days. When the plant is acclimated and in an aggressive growth pattern I put them out in full Sun.
My veg light is ran from 3pm to 9am and sunrise here is at around 6:30am.
However when I move the plants outdoors I do it with only maybe 4 hours of sunlight left so they have the night to go thru the shock and then recover quickly with fresh morning Sun.
This is a WW that is growning the way I described above. I like to make sure they have a nice full canopy to shade the pot/roots before putting them in full heavy Sun.
100_01492.JPG

Simply put, no.
I move clones that are vegging indoors to continue to veg and bloom out doors. I do about what you said and give them morning Sun and dappled sun/shade for the rest of the day for about three days. When the plant is acclimated and in an aggressive growth pattern I put them out in full Sun.
My veg light is ran from 3pm to 9am and sunrise here is at around 6:30am.
However when I move the plants outdoors I do it with only maybe 4 hours of sunlight left so they have the night to go thru the shock and then recover quickly with fresh morning Sun.
This is a WW that is growning the way I described above. I like to make sure they have a nice full canopy to shade the pot/roots before putting them in full heavy Sun.
100_01492.JPG

very nice post OB.. and the plant looks good too :)

Thx Diesel & Ob!!

+reps+

It makes sense to me now. More dark is better than more light when dealing with time change in 12/12.

Is it because day light is always going to be 12hrs during blooming season? Also to factor in that not every day it will be sunshine, given that there are days with dark clouds storming for few hours to half a day, even all day. Thus, the plant does not received sun light. LOL That's why more dark will not shock them. It only let them work a bit harder. I believed that when they sense a decrease in lights, it tries to built itself bigger to have wider space to absorb more light than before. Storing more, for dark days.

I read somewhere that the plant stores its resources that it collects during the day, and then put them to use, growing, at night.. so it needs time to use all of the stuff it took in (photosysthesis, nutes etc),, but I also like your thinking on it as well,, I never thought of the dark days that it would get in nature....

Yeah when doing a time change during bloom the purpose for using more dark time is to avoid light poisoning on the blooming plants.
During bloom the plants must have at least 12 hours of uninterupted dark time to snap into flowering mode. If the 12 hours of dark is interupted by even less than a minute of light from any kind of source like a grow light, room light, flashlight etc. it will retard the plant. The retardation can be anything from just stalled growth and having to go thru 2 weeks of preflower all over again to snapping the plant into a hermie.
The light poisoning wont kill a plant, just confuse the heck out of it.
Going with more dark time wont confuse the plant because like you mentioned, plants go thru dark days in nature quite often without any ill effects.

Another tidbit on light poisoning for outdoor plants is that Moonlight will not affect the plant but something like a porch light or landscaping lights will

Yeah when doing a time change during bloom the purpose for using more dark time is to avoid light poisoning on the blooming plants.
During bloom the plants must have at least 12 hours of uninterupted dark time to snap into flowering mode. If the 12 hours of dark is interupted by even less than a minute of light from any kind of source like a grow light, room light, flashlight etc. it will retard the plant. The retardation can be anything from just stalled growth and having to go thru 2 weeks of preflower all over again to snapping the plant into a hermie.
The light poisoning wont kill a plant, just confuse the heck out of it.
Going with more dark time wont confuse the plant because like you mentioned, plants go thru dark days in nature quite often without any ill effects.

Another tidbit on light poisoning for outdoor plants is that Moonlight will not affect the plant but something like a porch light or landscaping lights will

thanks Orangeblood...
this answers a few questions, but now brings up another one..

specifically the last statement,, if moonlight will not f them up, but a flashlight will? Is there a lumen/PAR threashold that the plants need to get light poisoning? Some nights, with a full moon and clear skies,, it can be pretty bright out...

thanks Orangeblood...
this answers a few questions, but now brings up another one..

specifically the last statement,, if moonlight will not f them up, but a flashlight will? Is there a lumen/PAR threashold that the plants need to get light poisoning? Some nights, with a full moon and clear skies,, it can be pretty bright out...

I have no idea about the lumen/par threshold Bro! I know what you mean by the bright light from a full Moon but for some reason it does not do anything to a blooming plant. I have no clue about the science behind it, only what I've witnessed.
It's one of those things that i've chalked up as nature working with nature to make things happen. Kinda like dogs knowing when an earthquake is coming and stuff like that. :grinjoint:

hmmm... that is interesting,, maybe a science guy will hop in and let us know.. :)

well I guess a few million years of evolution is better than our few years of tinkering ;)

We put our flowering soil potted plants outside on beautiful sunny days in Pacific Nortwest. The light schedule we are on is Dark 10pm to 10 am. We only leave them in the sun about 4-5 hours, then bring them inside under lights. (Our lights aren't that great, only 250w I think.) But everything looks great. No problems so far. Let me know how you are doing. Will be posting pics soon

Back
Top Bottom