How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

Hey folks, first attempt at cloning.
I'm using
81glHWNYpPL_SL1500_.jpg

with Rapid Rooter plugs.
I did my clone 8 days ago.
I had not seen any roots, so yesterday I unplugged the pump as the plugs were totally soaked and I've read that's not optimal.It's been unplugged for 14 hours . Low and behold, roots are popping on 4 of the 6 .
My question : should I put the pump on a timer as to only run for 5 minutes every 12 hours or just let it run ?

Good post, but I would have to disagree with you regarding F1s and clones. F1s can make great mothers and all the babies should retain their hybrid vigor if you get them to root quickly. What you speak of is diminished vigor that can result from mothers that are kept for long periods. All cloning works on the cellular level. We use hormones to induce rooting. You can also use different hormones to induce multiplication or division hormones that force shoots or more branches. It is all done at the cellular level. Diminished vigor is when old cells "forget" to reproduce certain genes. That's what happens when you take clones from clones of clones. Another problem is systemic pesticides get passed from clones of clones of mothers treated with them. The other thing I would respectfully disagree with you is about misting the plants under humidity dome. I never foliage feed or water directly on the babies. I lift the trays everyday and when they feel lighter I flood the trays. I like Olivia's cloning solution and a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide to keep the roots white and stop mold. Always ph your solution before flooding the trays. That is about every 2-3 days. The babies get plenty of moisture just being under the dome. In fact if they start getting foggy and covered with water droplets I dry the domes off. I also gently wipe off excess moisture on the plant with a clean paper towel and place them back under the dome. After about a week I raise the cover off the trays about 3/4 of an inch by using push pins or blocks to gradually decrease humidity and let the babies breathe. You should be able to remove the domes after 14 days and increase there light and start hardening them off. We clone in 2" rookwool cubes 50 clones per tray.

Good post, but I would have to disagree with you regarding F1s and clones. F1s can make great mothers and all the babies should retain their hybrid vigor if you get them to root quickly. What you speak of is diminished vigor that can result from mothers that are kept for long periods. All cloning works on the cellular level. We use hormones to induce rooting. You can also use different hormones to induce multiplication or division hormones that force shoots or more branches. It is all done at the cellular level. Diminished vigor is when old cells "forget" to reproduce certain genes. That's what happens when you take clones from clones of clones. Another problem is systemic pesticides get passed from clones of clones of mothers treated with them. The other thing I would respectfully disagree with you is about misting the plants under humidity dome. I never foliage feed or water directly on the babies. I lift the trays everyday and when they feel lighter I flood the trays. I like Olivia's cloning solution and a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide to keep the roots white and stop mold. Always ph your solution before flooding the trays. That is about every 2-3 days. The babies get plenty of moisture just being under the dome. In fact if they start getting foggy and covered with water droplets I dry the domes off. I also gently wipe off excess moisture on the plant with a clean paper towel and place them back under the dome. After about a week I raise the cover off the trays about 3/4 of an inch by using push pins or blocks to gradually decrease humidity and let the babies breathe. You should be able to remove the domes after 14 days and increase there light and start hardening them off. We clone in 2" rookwool cubes 50 clones per tray.

Welcome aboard CF! You sound like a professional on the topic :thumb: It would sure be great to get more feed back from someone who does it for a living on production scale. Some of us harden our strains in various ways but to get info from someone who's life depends on it is invaluable to the masses. Even if you are not your opinions and knowledge are always welcome to be shared here.

but if you are a Pro then we gotta jump you while we have the chance because usually you guys are too busy to stick around. I'm starting to get a taste of that myself and I'm only semi-pro at this time. :rolleyes3

Next step is initiation :) :passitleft:

I use cuttings from a dispensary in NM and have made cuttings from these plants and wondered how many times can I take cuttings from cuttings? I want to use some of the plants as mother plants and others to flower in my grow tent. What is your opinion on this matter?

Thanks

I use cuttings from a dispensary in NM and have made cuttings from these plants and wondered how many times can I take cuttings from cuttings? I want to use some of the plants as mother plants and others to flower in my grow tent. What is your opinion on this matter?

Thanks

As long as you can get the clones taken from them to root quickly, mothers can last years. However you should replace the mothers with fresh well rooted cuttings after a while. Any clones that do not root quickly throw out. You should over plant expecting 10% of your clones to be less than worthy. I find that fast developing thick white roots is the key to preventing what is incorrectly called genetic drift or correctly called diminished vigor.

What is your time line on quick growing roots? I have a dome with heat mat and keep humidity high as possible and at about 80 plus degrees F. I usually get roots out the rockwool within 2 weeks sometimes earlier. I seem to have pretty good luck with cuttings as I usually have a 90+ success rate. Also, what's after a while with the mother plants? I thought I'd keep them as mothers for maybe a year or two. One more question. How soon do you remove the cuttings with roots out of the dome? I usually wait until the plant has at least roots several inches long out of the 2" rockwool.
Any help appreciated!!!!

Sadhu9

What is your time line on quick growing roots? I have a dome with heat mat and keep humidity high as possible and at about 80 plus degrees F. I usually get roots out the rockwool within 2 weeks sometimes earlier. I seem to have pretty good luck with cuttings as I usually have a 90+ success rate. Also, what's after a while with the mother plants? I thought I'd keep them as mothers for maybe a year or two. One more question. How soon do you remove the cuttings with roots out of the dome? I usually wait until the plant has at least roots several inches long out of the 2" rockwool.
Any help appreciated!!!!

Sadhu9

2 Weeks is good They can stay stay in the trays up to 4 weeks but I like to start transplanting into 4" pots after 21 days or so. I do not just remove them from under the dome. After about 8-10 days I start raising the domes 3/4 of in inch or so with blocks to keep the domes raised off the trays. I also never mist the plants, I only flood the rockwool when the trays start feeling lighter about every 2-3 days. Dry off the inside of the domes when they become to wet. After 2 weeks I completely remove the dome. I then start hardening them off with stronger light and eventually natural light.

I've found Syrup auto-flower very easy to clone, but BC Chemo very fussy. Trying BC Chem again and using the technique detailed at beginning of the thread. Will update.

Perhaps we can start a list of strains that are easy to clone:
1) Syrup auto-flower.

good read tho, very informative. good luck everyone ;)

After they grow roots, How long do you gotta wait to start flowering?
you can start at any point you like. Depends on what style you gonna use. I've grown sea of green and started 6-7 inch clones, the same day I discovered roots. (but 30-40 small plants are illegal. Now, I grow 4 plants in a 4x4x6.5, so i keep transplanting and vegging for like 6-7 weeks, before going to bloom. but the answer is, anytime after you see roots. Good luck.

Is it necessary to remove the lower leaves and node points I neglected to do so because I didn't want to shock the clipping even more..
Yeah the nodes that you remove the leafs from should be on the bottom of your cutting, and coated in which ever rooting solution you prefer. And shock is shock at this point. The spot that you trim the leafs off of is usually always the first spot to start producing roots.

What is wrong with my plant?
I have cut 6 clones from a healthy plant.
They are 11 days since cutting.
I dipped in “dip n grow” rooting solution, then placed in rockwool.
They have been misted once or usually twice a day.
They have been covered with a humidity dome (vents are open)
No roots showing yet.

As you can see this one is turning yellow with black spots.
I don't expect all to make it but don't want this one to affect the rest.

I don't see any of the other ones looking like this.

Anything I can do?

Back
Top Bottom