How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

Have just put my first batch of clones into my new TurboKlone today.... using a Rhizotonic based solution in the tank and giving the leaves some extra moisture so they dont compete as heavily with the stem for root growth.... have just watched the vid above so going to trim the leave on some of the and monitor the progress.... any opinions on trimming from others?

Great tutorial.... I have recently cloned my first batch... followed this tutorial and at day 5 I have root buds on around 80% of my clones, I lost one, potentially two, (through human error as expected) and I am confident the remaining few will come through.

I expect they will thicken up over the next few days and look at potting around Sat/Sun at this stage.....

Thanks for the advice!

Just an update on the cloning success I have had thanks primarily to the information in this post...

My first lot I only too 8 cuttings and experimented... six took and are currently into their second week of flowering....

Learnt a lot of lessons and came back and checked a few things and have started the second lot....

I am just waiting a few more days to take them out of the turboKlone but they are looking great...

I took 20 cuttings the second time and all have survived... I am going to keep 16...

For the water I added in some rhizo to give them a hand and now that I am leaving them in there a little longer have added some nutrient to the water...

The reason for this is that the root development is uneven across the batch.... so just going to let them all stay until there are 16 with really good roots... I expect to put them in at the end of the week and am going to run this a clone to flower batch and see what the yield is...

Thanks again for the great info, made things a lot easier and set me on the path... cheers...

Great stuff Jorge, I have a 1st printing of Indoor Marijuana Horticulture that I read front to back and have multitudes of stickies and notes all over it. I live in Colorado - Amendment 64 - went into effect for personal grow Dec 10 2012. I built a grow room for bloom and a veg and clone room separately. The Bloom room is made of wood frame and Visqeen/Panda Film following your idea from your Video. I have a number of plants that I was simultaneously growing while building the rooms. I am ready to make my first clone for sex now - how cool is that?! I am a vegan and juice the leaves for breakfast with several other veggies, fruits, seeds, nuts, grains, to make a killer shake. The earth is so good for you if you listen to it. :) I am going to use Willow Water for my clones just as the ancients did. I am so happy to grow this most awesome bountiful plant and I thank you for all of your work and information that you always (tirelessly) have. :Namaste:

This is exactly how it worked in the "old" times only it was word of mouth then and there was also the possibility of seeing for oneself the results, and meeting the "teacher" so to speak. Now we have the internet. Keep cloning and improve the breed. Let's look after what's been entrusted to us. Puff,puff,Passssss

I'm an out-door man. Luckily I live in a climate that's sub-tropical so I grow all year. Harleyde0909 there's lots of egs. of what you want to do on you tube and google is amazing. Go for it (y)

I took my first clippings to clone for sex 11 days ago. The first thing I did was label each plant with a letter. Then I put labels with letters on the side of the rows of the clone tray I am using. I cleaned a shiny Swiss army and Leatherman scissors with alcohol. Based on everything I am reading here and Jorge's info I took clippings from the best looking lower branches, they were about 12 to 18 inches long and the stems were about 1/8" to about 3/16" thick.

I took two clippings from each plant in case one clipping fails you still have one that you can sex from. These branches were not fan leaves, they had 6 or 7 nodes on them if you include the new leafs that were just beginning. I clipped them at the stem then cut the clipping in half at 45 degrees. This left me with about 4 nodes at 6 to 8 inches long. I then clipped the leafs of the bottom two nodes off , cut the top leaves in half to reduce transpiration, and placed the remainder of the clipping into a glass cup of prepared Willow Water.

With two clippings in the cup I then moved to the area I prepared with the clone tray. The 10"x20" holding tray had about 1/4" of rock pebbles that were bathing in water, the insert clone tray sits on this such that no water can reach the cone shaped clone plug receptacles and this has a clear dome top that stands about 8" high with two ventilation holes that you can open or close. All of this sits on top of an old heat pad, for medical purposes, set on low heat. I turned the heat pad on about two hours prior to starting and it was already fogged up. Since this was my first time I was trying to be sure that I was giving the clipping every chance to survive and grow roots. With this in mind I also had a cloning gel and some rooting powder. I took the clippings from the Willow Water and then dipped them in the cloning gel using a shot glass. This works well and allows you to roll the clipping around while tilting the glass using a small amount of gel. I then rolled the clipping in a rooting powder and stuck the stem into the prepared hole of a rapid rooter plug that had been soaking in Willow Water. I did this procedure for each plant that needed to be sexed. After all the clippings were in the cloning tray I used a very good mister and sprayed the clippings from about 2 feet away just enough to get them moist, not soaked, and then covered them again with the dome.

I took the leftover leaf clippings and put them in my shake using my Vita Mix blender for a very nutritious breakfast.

Every day I check them about 3 times and I exhale into the vent holes about 4 breaths each time.

I have misted the clippings about once every three days, I have not directly watered the rapid rooter plugs other than the initial soaking as I described.

It has been 11 days now and I see roots forming just above the rapid root plugs on several of my clippings. They are all still green, no yellowing, though a couple seem to be browning at the stem but, besides these I would say I am on my way to a 90% to 95% success.

I will follow up later once they are in soil and vegging.

I hope this helps. I don't use photos or numbers so the NSA can't provide any info to the DEA - Believe that!:peace:

how long do you put lights on from the start 24/0 or 18/6 as i was told to keep out of direct light for 5/8 days but notice you have gone straight under :roorrip:

hi there i made some clones they were well rooted but when there are under the t5s the middle stem starts to turn brown to mutch light to soon?

:theband::theband:

Following up concerning my clones posted 6-27-13:

The good news is 100% success on my first grow and first clone experience. The bad news is now I have all these clones :high-five:

I transplanted all of my clones into soil 21 days after I took them. All but one had roots shooting from the side of the rapid rooter plug - I transplanted it anyway. I had kept a dome on them the entire time they were in the clone tray. I transplanted into small enough containers that could still be inside the dome and kept them covered for about 3 more days. They began to show yellowing leaves at this point, on the old leaves and the new growth. I thought it was transplant shock since they were drooping a bit too. I figured it might also be the leaves not getting enough air, now that the root system was formed and the stomata do not need to be sucking in water, and photosynthesis is taking place. I took the dome off for a couple hours on the third day after transplanting, then removed it completely on the fourth. By the 6th day they were all nice and green and showing new growth. So it took basically 4 weeks to get from clone cutting to vibrant growing in soil.

I placed all of my original plants into bloom since I have two of each as a clone - reverse cloning for sex. Once I have determined sex I should have less plants to worry about. But, I will have plants I can eat too.

The origins have been in bloom for four days.

:peace:X

That helped so much. I knew that clones preferred high humidity but I did not know that you could just place them in water for a few days in the dark then place them in the soil. Or did I misunderstand stand that part? I did not know about the nitrogen in the mother. That would maybe explain why I have a clone that looks like it has nitrogen O.D. I did not know to split the very end either. My clones have been a hit and miss on life.

Thank-you

More info:

The clones I described above were under a 18 on 6 off light schedule. I did not split the end of the clippings, I did scrape the bottom inch just a little, about 360 degrees around the stem of the clipping. The Rapid Rooter plugs were soaked in Willow Water for an hour prior to taking clones. This was the only water I gave the Rapid Rooter plugs until week 2 when it was clear some were rooting and the plugs looked a bit dry and were shrinking like a drying sponge. Other than that I only misted the clones with a fine mister bottle that provided a near fog/cloud light mist from all directions to be sure the Stomata under the leaves had just a small amount of water. NOT WET. This was done about twice in two weeks.

Lady Vadalon:

You are correct about the sex of the plant. When taking a clone from a female plant the clone too is a female, likewise with male plants. The term cloning for sex is a technique to determine the sex of the original plant without having to place the original plant into bloom cycle. You can also do what I did which is reverse cloning for sex. As implied it is when you take clones, make sure all your clones are rooted and growing well so that you have replicas of each plant. You do this when you do not know the sex of the plant yet. Once the clones are growing in a soil and look healthy you can then take the older original plants and put them in bloom. As long as you marked each clone from each original plant you will know the sex of the clones once the original plants show their sex in the bloom room. Then you separate your males from the females. I ate all of my males they juice well and then I ate the cloned males too. Now all I have is females.

In addition:

I had more new plants given to me that were of unknown sex as well. These were all cloned for sex in reverse as well and I used the same method as before two clones from each plant. This time I experimented with using no cloning gels or powders on half - using only Willow Water in the plugs. The other half I cloned just as before using clone gel and great white powder as well as Willow Water in the plugs. I have 100% rooted clones for all of them. That makes me 100% for all clones I have taken since I started cloning. It also means I do not need to buy clone gels or powders anymore. And as it turns out ALL of the new plants are females so I have a literal Mother lode.

A good problem to have...I guess...

:peace:X

That is very cool. I have not done my first real grow yet. I have been piecing my equipment together because I don't want to be the deer in the headlight look. But, now I know why my clones have been a hit and miss. On the bright side I have already done the miracle grow O.D., My over watering and right now working on light deprived. My panels will be in on Tuesday and my exhaust system will be complete next weekend I hope.

I was shown how to clone but it was wrong. I had no idea how deep growing went; it is a science to me. I have been wondering around the site for several months but just became a member a few days ago. I have three plants now, the mother and two daughters.

Thank-you for the information I had no idea

Dear Admin:
I think you have imparted your knowledge very succinctly, and may have found the cause of my lack of success with clones. I always forget to soak them before putting the gel on. I believe embolisms are my problem. Can you identify what the results of a clone with an embolism are? Generally what I am encountering is a clone that seems to take very well for the first few days, but then the stem gets mushy and kind of gray right at the soil line and when I pull on them they will separate right at the point of the mush. I had thought it was a damping off problem, but now I am convinced that some of my clones are developing embolisms. The ones that are planted last in my cloning process are now identified as the ones that are developing the mush because I have forgotten to soak them.

Also, could you tell me if placing the cuttings in water in the refrigerator overnight will further reduce the possibility of developing an air embolism? I will tell you that the last batch of clones I took, I had more cuttings than I could use at the time and they survived two weeks in the fridge in a cup of water with no obvious side effects although I did not get the chance to put them in soil.

Thank you for the wealth of information you have given in just this one post, and I hope you can answer my question.

79stingray

I cut my clones and used clone X . I put the clones in a EZ-Clone machine on Oct 3rd but they still have not started to grow roots . It has been been 11 days. Does anyone have any ideas to get them going?

One of the most common problems I have seen is that people tend to over wet their cuttings. The cuts take the majority of their water in from their leaflets and not from the stems. Once roots appear, then the stem is most responsible for water intake. The misting and "moistness" is very important in that there is a fine line between too little and too much. Only experience gets the amounts correct and that can take a few tries. I have been taking cuttings for many years. With gels/without; scrape the stem/not; slit the stem/not. Every method seems to work and it is truly a matter of science, luck and positive thinking. I still get around 90% success rate and am happy with this. I find the most fantastic results come from taking the cuts from the "adventitious tip" although the most advantageous place is to take them from down low but the success rate drops. Darkness actually encourages root formation as well as cutting the tips off the individual leaflets encourages a hormone in the plant to form roots too. I have also had a bark covered stem take upwards of 3 months to root (13 weeks 4 days)! SO the moral of the story is patience. Once you've taken care of temperature, lightness/darkness; humidity et. al. then the Gods of MJ are your best friend. Remember also, NO NUTRIENTS what-so-ever until roots are well established...

Just wanted to say this is a great forum lots of useful information. Quick question I took some clippings a week ago and followed this guide. I noticed that some of the leaves on my clones are tuning yellow. There hasn't been roots yet I've had them under the light for 24/7. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom