How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

when u colon a plant do they wilt a little before they start growing roots

When I do my clones... I do my cuts and place them in PH 6.6 water right away so the cut part does not start to heal its self. Then I put them in a dark place for about three days. This helps the plant with the shock of being cut. When a new clone is placed under harsh light it is not working on the rooting. After bringing them back out of the dark space, place them in to the rockwool, rapid rooters or seedling soil. I learned not to place the clones under harsh light. I use T8's

The wilting could be from to much light and the turning color could be to much water. If they are drenched with water they wont grow roots very fast because they don't have to send out feelers.

Remember that your clone has been taken from a mature plant with nutrition and that nutrition has been cut off. Some plants are just really hard to clone and others are really easy. Every grower has a method that works for them. You just have to find your Oooo that works for you. Some times it is a little from here and a little from there that makes you go I DID IT!!! I hope this helps :circle-of-love:

PS if they start to wilt don't give up on it. I had one shrivel up to almost nothing and I babied it and after about a month it started to grow and turned out to be a really good plant. :)

hey V thats me grayhawk. i dont use it anymore. first year i was here i used that name

I use rapid rooter plugs in a plug tray inside a dome. 100% success over 3 years now (about 72 to 100 in all) My setup is like this:

• I place a regular old heating pad on the cement floor in the basement and turn it on to the lowest setting
  • The main tray (not the rooter plug tray) bottom is lined with pebble rock
  • The rooter plug tray is placed inside
  • I fill water to the top of the rock line so that the water comes to the bottom but not inside the plug tray
  • Take cuttings, immediately into water glass as I go ( next two steps work fast )
  • Trim the cutting, take off all but last two nodes and newest growth, cut last two node leaves in half, leave new growth
  • dip into a cloning gel using an old shot glass with the rounded bottom and flared top, helps w/ diff cutting shapes
  • Place into prepared plug (prepared plug is soaked in water for an hour, I also use a skewer to open the hole well)
  • Place the cutting/plug assembly into rooter plug tray
  • I use a fine mister and spray water all around and under the leaves of the clones
  • Cover with dome (my dome has adjustable air holes which I leave open to allow circulation) Heating pad ON
  • I do not use direct light for 24 hours then I add one cfl about 20 inches away from the top of the dome
  • After two days I put the heating pad on a timer so it is on 30 minutes of every two hours move light to 10 inches
  • After a week I check for signs of roots and if a plug is feeling dry I add a little water to that plug NOT soaked
  • If they have roots I will add water using a spray bottle set to stream instead of mist and place light closer
  • Checking on them every day for environmental conditions
  • After two weeks they usually all have at least one root poking through the plug
  • I usually wait until several roots with white hairs appear before transplanting into small soil pot
I've used that method without fail, some clones take a little longer but they have all come through. These are all inside my vegging area so they get light from the other plants in veg 24/0. The new cuttings/clones are 24/0 as well. You could do it on 18/6 without a problem. The only reason mine are 24/0 is the CFLs last longer when you never turn them on/off/on...etc.

I use rapid rooter plugs in a plug tray inside a dome. 100% success over 3 years now (about 72 to 100 in all) My setup is like this:

• I place a regular old heating pad on the cement floor in the basement and turn it on to the lowest setting
  • The main tray (not the rooter plug tray) bottom is lined with pebble rock
  • The rooter plug tray is placed inside
  • I fill water to the top of the rock line so that the water comes to the bottom but not inside the plug tray
  • Take cuttings, immediately into water glass as I go ( next two steps work fast )
  • Trim the cutting, take off all but last two nodes and newest growth, cut last two node leaves in half, leave new growth
  • dip into a cloning gel using an old shot glass with the rounded bottom and flared top, helps w/ diff cutting shapes
  • Place into prepared plug (prepared plug is soaked in water for an hour, I also use a skewer to open the hole well)
  • Place the cutting/plug assembly into rooter plug tray
  • I use a fine mister and spray water all around and under the leaves of the clones
  • Cover with dome (my dome has adjustable air holes which I leave open to allow circulation) Heating pad ON
  • I do not use direct light for 24 hours then I add one cfl about 20 inches away from the top of the dome
  • After two days I put the heating pad on a timer so it is on 30 minutes of every two hours move light to 10 inches
  • After a week I check for signs of roots and if a plug is feeling dry I add a little water to that plug NOT soaked
  • If they have roots I will add water using a spray bottle set to stream instead of mist and place light closer
  • Checking on them every day for environmental conditions
  • After two weeks they usually all have at least one root poking through the plug
  • I usually wait until several roots with white hairs appear before transplanting into small soil pot
I've used that method without fail, some clones take a little longer but they have all come through. These are all inside my vegging area so they get light from the other plants in veg 24/0. The new cuttings/clones are 24/0 as well. You could do it on 18/6 without a problem. The only reason mine are 24/0 is the CFLs last longer when you never turn them on/off/on...etc.

The CFL's work well. To much light and a lot of clones just wont make it. I have better luck with clones than seeds. :cheer:

I spent years doing that thing where I take the cuttings and get them into water right away lest the stems dry up or some 'air bubble' get in. After experimenting a little I'm trying not to be in such a rush any more- though old habits sure are hard to break I must say. Next time I need a bunch of clones I'm going to run the experiment again but I'm pretty sure of the results.
Test of the Air Bubble Theory - Cloning experiment

Yeah I had read that too. I never knew if a bubble was a real problem. As part of my clone cutting process that I forgot to articulate is that I take the cutting at a longer length than necessary. And the last thing I do just before dipping into the clonex is eyeball the the length I want above the plug and how much will be inside the plug. I then make a 45 degree cut of the stem to make that adjustment then dip into clonex and insert into the plug. In this way I figured it would eliminate any mysterious bubble by cutting above where the spirit bubble would have existed :)

After taking the clones and planting them, they went under a 4ft florescent lamp.

Since they've all wilted and are dieing I've got to try something.

Opened the top of cloner to reduce heat and increase air, added water to all the cubes.

The water is PHed @ 5.8, no nutes.

I've put them in with the others and it's night time for them at the moment.
Where I think I may have gone wrong is I think the temps got too high? Right around 75 F. May be hotter inside with the lid on.

They should be happy as hell but they're not.

I was reading though and I was wondering if your lovelies were suffering from "heat stoke" of sorts. Like your light might have been too low on the dome. Ideally, when in the Dome or "incubator/sauna", your green babies only need the light, NOT much HEAT (if in rockwool). The light helps condensation which keeps heat, too much light and its like over cooking hamburgers, dried out lol. I've always compared plants {of any sort} to humans. We NEED to sweat, NEED food, NEED sleep, NEED to drink and NEED just the right chemicals/minerals {don't over do their intake though! I've seen gardens destroyed by 'chemical burn'} SO DO THEY! Just remember the clones are growing at the same age of the mother, I would recommend NOT cloning past 3 generations. Just as humans with age, woman lose their fertility, your grown-green-lady-babies lose potency and "vigor" ;) OH, and find a good 'Flora Nectar'! Ladies love sweet treats ever few months or so. *wink wink*, and I promise, you will too, Mmm Mmm Sweet! Good luck & happy trails!!

~ Peace ~ Love ~ Nature ~

A little following up with my cloning efforts. Reminder: NL from fem seed.
I take more cuttings than I know that to do with from the lower portions of my plant when I prune. I do it this way because it's usually discarded. I keep my tops and I don't like to cut them as that plant will be graduated shortly to flower and tops are bent and scrogged out.
They immediately go in water then I come back for leaf tips and excess leaf removal. Judging the size of the clones I estimate the amount of leaves needed to sustain the clone. This part I can't describe. It's a ratio that I eyeball - Surface area of leaves to size and thickness of stems. So how much leaf to keep varies from Clone to clone.

I only keep large cuttings 8-12". I try to leave an inch under a node and diagonal cut facing away from node. Put in plain water. Tap. No gel. Doesn't work on my nl. Not sure why. Fem seed?
So handfuls of clones are thrown in a top less water bottle - "water level maintained daily at one inch."
This seems to be the most important factor!!!
My theory is that the clone gets confused where the roots are needed and drown or dry up if not maintained at a consistent level at this stage in recovery.
Then ... I forget about them (no more love and attention) aside from adding water daily. I've even got green algae in there (not intentionally), no nutes, no ph adjusting. Just my 7.0 tap.
I get roots in two weeks. Faster if I drop an air line with a one inch stone off my dW system into the bottle.
I see no need to buy a cloner or use gel.
Snip, trim, drop in water, maintain level. That's what works for me. Simple IS better.
And my room gets up to 85. Big clones seem to tolerate high heat better.

I have only one growing tent , i can manage a small box for clones but it wouldn't fit them getting big,it'd be like 12 inches in hight , my question is let's say i take clones from mother plant abit before putting it into flowering 12/12 , after 2 weeks they'll be ready , and after another week they might not fit in the veg box , can i take them to the flowering tent immediately ? what difference would it make ? they still would give good yields even if started with the flowering early ? i have 2 feminized northern lights now and planning to get clones from one of them , i don't have the budget to get another growing tent

I have only one growing tent , i can manage a small box for clones but it wouldn't fit them getting big,it'd be like 12 inches in hight , my question is let's say i take clones from mother plant abit before putting it into flowering 12/12 , after 2 weeks they'll be ready , and after another week they might not fit in the veg box , can i take them to the flowering tent immediately ? what difference would it make ? they still would give good yields even if started with the flowering early ? i have 2 feminized northern lights now and planning to get clones from one of them , i don't have the budget to get another growing tent

You can setup an area outside your grow tent for clones. If you don't want to get another timer, then just go 24/0 with some CFLs over the clones. They can got to flower at any time, but the longer you can veg them the bigger the plant. You should be able to go 4 weeks under CFLs with out to much odor trouble. I had to switch both my tents to 12/12 at one point for a couple weeks. I put my clones in between my 2 tents with the cfls and they did fine. :peace:

You can setup an area outside your grow tent for clones. If you don't want to get another timer, then just go 24/0 with some CFLs over the clones. They can got to flower at any time, but the longer you can veg them the bigger the plant. You should be able to go 4 weeks under CFLs with out to much odor trouble. I had to switch both my tents to 12/12 at one point for a couple weeks. I put my clones in between my 2 tents with the cfls and they did fine. :peace:

thanks for ur reply , yea i'm gonna make a small box for clones with cfls , timer is not a problem , i was worried about the time of vegging before putting them into flowering , i understand now :thanks:

Plants need to be in veg too clone, my rule is 3 leaves or more and cut & dip and stick clone in rapid rooters and put them under T-5 on 24 constantly until they root 4 to 7 days. Grow Baby grow,

They do not need to be in Veg to take clones. I take them from Flowering plants all the time. The take longer to root (sometime 2-3 time longer) when they are in flower, but they sure make big bushy clones!!! I put them in my clone king and within 2 or 3 weeks they are ready to put in soil. :peace:

Can you possibly clone when the shoots are still small?? My plant is on her 6th week but the shoots are only just starting to grow. Maybe an inch long with small leaves. I took the bottom ones off to help the top grow better and decided to try cloning for the first time. Too small or do you think I have a shot?

Planted them and made sure to pat the soil down around the stem best I could.

TPhoto_000441.jpg
TPhoto_000451.jpg

Thanks

very interesting piece. My step up i use is similar to yours i've had different results seems like when i cut the leaf size in half the cuttings take better to the gel. I have also dipped the cuttings in honey and had pretty good results. What is the Ph level your maintaining for the clones? do you soak your pellets in water with and higher potassium nutrients?

generational cloning that is a clone of a clone of a clone etc. So no difference ever in strength etc? Sorry if asked by others just got a clone i want to mother plant for farming some clones off of. thanks.

Senescence is somewhat rare with Cannabis IME. There are always variables.. bred in genetic damage, virus's etc. but for the most part clone yourself an army for the next 20 years lol.

Back
Top Bottom