How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

Ok guys lets do some cloning. There is tons of info about this subject already but people will always ask for more info. I think the reason for this is because most people are afraid to cut their plant. They are not fragile. Pruning and cutting usually will increase bud production. It doesn't really hurt the mother plant, the only real stressful part is on the cutting itself. Cloning is the most traumatic experience a clipping via clone will endure. You are forcing a clipping to transform into a growing plant. We are making a stem that was growing leaves to all of the sudden grow roots and undergo severe changes to survive. Because of this you should take more cuttings than you need. Don't worry, it gets easier.

Cloning. MJ plants can reproduce sexually or asexually. Seeds are from reproducing sexually while clones are propagated asexually. To be technical cloning is taking cells from the plant (for growers that means cuttings) and promoting its growth to become a plant all its own.
Before we start Lets talk a little about the good points and the bad points to cloning.

Good points are as followed. It reduces the the time to having a mature plant. You don't need high power lights to start clones, florescents work very well for cloning.Since clones are genetic copies of thier mothers all clones will be the same sex. Taking a clone and flowering it will tell you what sex your soon to be mother is. Since clones are genetic copies, they grow at the same rate so other techniques like SOG (Sea of green) or SGROG (screen of green). The older the mother is the easier it is to induce flowering.

Here are the bad points. Clones grow slower than a F1 hybrid will because of the lost of its hybrid vigor. This also means a F1 can grow about 25% bigger than a clone. You have to start with a good mother because all the characteristics of the mother, the clones will have the same. Clones are less disease and pest resistant because of the trauma a clone has to undergo to become a plant. You need at least two different growing areas, one for veg and clones, the other for flowering. Some plants are very diffacult to clone or its just not possible. Like certain unstable hybrids, Sativa with early flowering properties, or the Ruderalis with autoflowering properties like the Lowrider.

Preperations for cloning. Clones develop a stronger and faster root system when they have a high carbohydrate and and low nitogen concentration. Flush your plants one week prior to taking cuttings and feed only water for that week. Just don't drown your plants. Since I do hydro it makes it a ot easier, just change the water in the res every other day for a week. Reverse folier feeding will also help leech nitrogen from the leaves. Just fill spray bottle with water and mist your mother heavily eryday once for three to five days. Hormone content is different in different parts of the plants. The bottom of the plant has more hormones in it so the lower branches tend to root better and faster than towards the top of the plant. There are many cloning compounds out there but I prefer the gel. It coats evenly and sticks to the plant well. Which ever you use just read the instructions and make sure its for use with edible plants.

Now its time to get ready. Clean and disinfect your work areas and tools. Always use sharp scissors or a razor and clean with alcohol. Have everything ready and within easy reach like rockwool, scissors humidity dome ect.

Cloning, step by step.grab a firm branch and cut at a 45 degree angle and take a cutting about two to four inches in length. To not damage the bottom of the cutting. Trim off the lower leaves and node points. Then place cuttings in water. A embolism is a air bubble that can get trapped in the stem and kill the clone, this is the reason to soak cuttings in water until your ready to put in grow medium. Make sure the ph is between five and six. Do not fertilize the clones.

Pic of chronic mother
100_0621.JPG

Picking a branch
100_0625.JPG

The first cutting.
100_0626.JPG

Same cutting but removed the lower leaves and node points.
100_0627.JPG

Split the end to create more surface area for roots. I chose this method because is causes a stronger root system. Only draw back is it takes more time to root.
100_0628.JPG

Lightly scrape the skin aroung split stem to expose more of the cambium layer.
The cambium layer is where the plant generates roots.
100_0629.JPG

Dip end in cloning gel. I hope my rooting hormone still works. It is old and has turned into a liquid.
100_0630.JPG

Put clipping in rockwool or whatever growing medium. Make sure its very moist and that you press or fill your medium around the hole to keep air away from the rooting area
100_0631.JPG

100_0632.JPG

I like to spray the dome to give a humidity boost.

100_0633.JPG

In about two weeks I should have some clones.

Pic of mother chronic after final pruning and topping.

100_0634.JPG
Yes there are a ton of articles online but none was so simple and easy to understand. Great share!

THis is a great step by step tutorial and exaclty how i do it too, but i do add an extra step, i clip the tips of all of the leaves of the clones, i have been told and saw my caregiver do this. this makes the clones root faster as it sends a hormone down the stem faster producing roots.Has anyone heard of this ? it seems to work for me..
my clone arrived this way from the dispensary, and i wondered why... now I know! it seems like a survival tactic by the plant...

What is wrong with my plant?
I have cut 6 clones from a healthy plant.
They are 11 days since cutting.
I dipped in “dip n grow” rooting solution, then placed in rockwool.
They have been misted once or usually twice a day.
They have been covered with a humidity dome (vents are open)
No roots showing yet.

As you can see this one is turning yellow with black spots.
I don't expect all to make it but don't want this one to affect the rest.

I don't see any of the other ones looking like this.

Anything I can do?
the black spots look like a fungus, I would trash this bad boy/gurl before it travels to the other ones...

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to do more clones. The previous ones did well, except for a couple that were too immature and failed to root. Since my money is tight right now...I did not buy rooting powder and made the cuts at a long angle to expose more and put directly into soil...pressing the soil around the stem to get good contact.

I did use some plastic wrap to cover for more humidity, only during sleep times. The remainder of the time I left them uncovered in an indirect light source (window glass). They did ok without the rooting powder and basic cost nothing to do them.

Since I'm retired and had the time...I watched the leaves start drying and finger flicked with water and repeated the finger flicking each time they started drying. I did not keep them totally wet, but starting to show drying before sprinkling them again. This time I was considering leaving the plastic covering over the container and removing occasionally for air.

Was wonder how often I should uncover them? I could just use the method used before, but if they would do better covered and removed at intervals...how much time in between uncovering?

thanks

Ok guys lets do some cloning. There is tons of info about this subject already but people will always ask for more info. I think the reason for this is because most people are afraid to cut their plant. They are not fragile. Pruning and cutting usually will increase bud production. It doesn't really hurt the mother plant, the only real stressful part is on the cutting itself. Cloning is the most traumatic experience a clipping via clone will endure. You are forcing a clipping to transform into a growing plant. We are making a stem that was growing leaves to all of the sudden grow roots and undergo severe changes to survive. Because of this you should take more cuttings than you need. Don't worry, it gets easier.

Cloning. MJ plants can reproduce sexually or asexually. Seeds are from reproducing sexually while clones are propagated asexually. To be technical cloning is taking cells from the plant (for growers that means cuttings) and promoting its growth to become a plant all its own.
Before we start Lets talk a little about the good points and the bad points to cloning.

Good points are as followed. It reduces the the time to having a mature plant. You don't need high power lights to start clones, florescents work very well for cloning.Since clones are genetic copies of thier mothers all clones will be the same sex. Taking a clone and flowering it will tell you what sex your soon to be mother is. Since clones are genetic copies, they grow at the same rate so other techniques like SOG (Sea of green) or SGROG (screen of green). The older the mother is the easier it is to induce flowering.

Here are the bad points. Clones grow slower than a F1 hybrid will because of the lost of its hybrid vigor. This also means a F1 can grow about 25% bigger than a clone. You have to start with a good mother because all the characteristics of the mother, the clones will have the same. Clones are less disease and pest resistant because of the trauma a clone has to undergo to become a plant. You need at least two different growing areas, one for veg and clones, the other for flowering. Some plants are very diffacult to clone or its just not possible. Like certain unstable hybrids, Sativa with early flowering properties, or the Ruderalis with autoflowering properties like the Lowrider.

Preperations for cloning. Clones develop a stronger and faster root system when they have a high carbohydrate and and low nitogen concentration. Flush your plants one week prior to taking cuttings and feed only water for that week. Just don't drown your plants. Since I do hydro it makes it a ot easier, just change the water in the res every other day for a week. Reverse folier feeding will also help leech nitrogen from the leaves. Just fill spray bottle with water and mist your mother heavily eryday once for three to five days. Hormone content is different in different parts of the plants. The bottom of the plant has more hormones in it so the lower branches tend to root better and faster than towards the top of the plant. There are many cloning compounds out there but I prefer the gel. It coats evenly and sticks to the plant well. Which ever you use just read the instructions and make sure its for use with edible plants.

Now its time to get ready. Clean and disinfect your work areas and tools. Always use sharp scissors or a razor and clean with alcohol. Have everything ready and within easy reach like rockwool, scissors humidity dome ect.

Cloning, step by step.grab a firm branch and cut at a 45 degree angle and take a cutting about two to four inches in length. To not damage the bottom of the cutting. Trim off the lower leaves and node points. Then place cuttings in water. A embolism is a air bubble that can get trapped in the stem and kill the clone, this is the reason to soak cuttings in water until your ready to put in grow medium. Make sure the ph is between five and six. Do not fertilize the clones.

Pic of chronic mother
100_0621.JPG

Picking a branch
100_0625.JPG

The first cutting.
100_0626.JPG

Same cutting but removed the lower leaves and node points.
100_0627.JPG

Split the end to create more surface area for roots. I chose this method because is causes a stronger root system. Only draw back is it takes more time to root.
100_0628.JPG

Lightly scrape the skin aroung split stem to expose more of the cambium layer.
The cambium layer is where the plant generates roots.
100_0629.JPG

Dip end in cloning gel. I hope my rooting hormone still works. It is old and has turned into a liquid.
100_0630.JPG

Put clipping in rockwool or whatever growing medium. Make sure its very moist and that you press or fill your medium around the hole to keep air away from the rooting area
100_0631.JPG

100_0632.JPG

I like to spray the dome to give a humidity boost.

100_0633.JPG

In about two weeks I should have some clones.

Pic of mother chronic after final pruning and topping.

100_0634.JPG

Ok. So I love the tutorial here. But I have a question.
New to cloning and my questions are.
I use coco coir and perlite for my grow medium.
With that being said. Would it be better for me to use a closer that sprays the cuttings to develop the roots? Or use a humidity dome?
And if I use rock wool do I plant the cutting and the rock wool into my medium ?

I’ve heard that some growers dip their cuttings into unpasteurized honey and that it works well .
I’ve only used gel..interested in an opinion on using honey

I’ve heard that some growers dip their cuttings into unpasteurized honey and that it works well .

I've never tried it, but this article supports that theory:

BtW, I think the author meant to remove the boiling water from the stove (so that it's no longer quite that hot) before stirring the honey into it. Seems to be a bit unclear, the way it was worded.

Some people just put a cutting in dirt, or a cup of water also. Aloe and whatnot, if it works with nothing, you could dip your cutting into paprika and I bet it will root, but is it a good idea. I think honey will attract ants and gnats. Try just scraping the stem well and stick it deep into coco and keep it slightly moist to almost dry so it throws roots if you don’t want to use rooting gel or powders.

I don’t use anything because I just started taking clones for practice, but 9 out of 11 rooted, the first two probably would have I was just impatient lol, I will b getting some gel but it seems to work just fine without it
Also I stuck some right in dirt and some in rock wool, both worked

Nice! Yeah the gel just makes it faster. Sometimes. Lol. I just take a bunch of cuttings and stick them it coco. After a dip in rooting gel and check them in about ten or so days. Make sure you don’t let the roots grow and tangle. It’s a pain in the butt! Cover with a dome for3 days and don’t water again, just keep misting the hell out of them. 3-6 times a day. 18 hr lights. Preferably t5 fluorescents
965CE13E-D48B-485F-B6E9-4E3F28DFDF5A.jpeg

Attachments

• 32F113E0-F665-4739-AD3F-A00687D91678.jpeg
    32F113E0-F665-4739-AD3F-A00687D91678.jpeg
    921.8 KB · Views: 294
With the cloner, following the same processes outlined by the 420 founder, we let them settle for usually 48 hours and then put the light on them. We are converting mediums right now and just started the first set from cloner to soil, instead of rockwool and pebbles. With the information from this forum, we may convert from cloner to peat soon. We do not use the dome though.
peat is the answer

Back
Top Bottom