How to Control DWC Scrog Stretch and Density

Happy Jack

Hi Folks,

Scrog/DWC newbie here, looking for advice on training/trimming a DWC scrog grow. Is this the best place to post my question? If not, I'm glad to post in a better place.

My problem is the plants are growing fast and thick in the DWC and, at week three in bloom, are getting really thick, and stretching above the screen. I'm not sure what to do--trim, defoliate, nothing?

I have 2 Mars-Hydro Reflector144 s in each of two 4x4' tents, 4 plants per tent, each in a 17 gallon tote, using the GH cannabis schedule, and the growth has been fantastic, as the photos show. Tent 1 has the faster growing plants, and looked like tent 2 a week or so ago!

I'm a bit overwhelmed, and wondering what to do. Advice, encouragement, etc, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tent 1 -- Master Kush on the Left, Pure Power Plant on the Right
20160702_011042.jpg

Tent 2 -- Wonder Woman on the Left, Black Jack on the Right
20160702_011126.jpg

They have been trained. Re: How to Control DWC Scrog Stretch and Density

It's a little late to start training the plants for a scrog screen.... Read my led scrog grow.... Better yet google; "Scottyballs pineapple express seed to harvest"... That's the thread that converted me to scrog...

Hi Dr Fish,

Many thanks for joining in and your suggestions.

Those plants are trained for scrog, below a screen 5" above the totes, now hidden by all the vegetation. He's a photo from two weeks ago--the plants were flipped to bloom cycle 3 weeks ago:

20160615_025651.jpg

I did train the plants for scrogging, using "LBH's Famous ScrOG Tutorial". The primaries and secondaries were all trained below the screen. Unfortunately it seems that the schedule with DWC is much faster than the soil that LBH used, and it looks like I flipped too late--the shoots are stretching above the screen, as is obvious. ;)

So what do I do now? Top the shoots? Defoliate? Both? Any suggestions for getting best results out of this grow greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your help, and any that anyone can offer. :)

Some say cutting N earlier controls the stretch. Others say don't do it because it makes the rest of the grow harder. Perhaps you could find a happy medium in there somewhere

Sent from my SM-G900F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The stretch for each strain will be different.... Last grow my Blackberry stretched 12" or so... With the Blue Mystic the stretch was almost 30"... All you can do now is let them grow above the screen, they'll do alright... Have no idea who LBH is, but Scotty get's a harvest in under 100 days from seed, start to finish.... 11-14 oz under a 400w hps... Post a link to the LBH thread.... always interested in other scrog grows..

The stretch for each strain will be different.... Last grow my Blackberry stretched 12" or so... With the Blue Mystic the stretch was almost 30"... All you can do now is let them grow above the screen, they'll do alright... Have no idea who LBH is, but Scotty get's a harvest in under 100 days from seed, start to finish.... 11-14 oz under a 400w hps... Post a link to the LBH thread.... always interested in other scrog grows..

Thanks Dr. Fish and Teslarossi!:bravo:

Dr. Fish, I really appreciate your pointers to the other scrog grows--I'll check them out, and probably ask questions. :) I searched around for scrogs here, but didn't find the resources you shared.

It looks like I can't post a link to "LBH's Famous ScrOG Tutorial" because it's on another site, but if you search on that phrase it comes up. I'll compare it to "Scottyballs pineapple express seed to harvest", and am interested if you have any comments.

If the stretch is "normal" that's cool. I just wasn't expecting it--everything is so much more intense with DWC. :) Should I thin out the leaves on the colas, or just let them be?

Thanks again for all your help. That ScottyBalls "Pineapple Express G13 Lab's Seed to Harvest" journal is fantastic--thanks Dr. Fish! :bravo:

After reading that journal, listening to your advice, and some contemplation, I'm feeling much better. I didn't realize how much stretch there would be, and that, combined with DWC's fast growth, kinda freaked me out. ;)

Here are some photos from today, after a little more tuning.

Tent 1
20160706_014247.jpg

Tent 2
20160706_014638.jpg

Master Kush Bud
20160706_014328.jpg

Thanks again, and best wishes. :hippy:

Back
Top Bottom