How to cool a HPS light?

Ducky1

I have a 600w hps light set up in a 1.2x1.2 tent, have a 5 inch inline fan with carbon filter set up pulling the air out And extracting through a window, also have a fan inside the tent blowing air around and it’s hitting 40 Celsius in there. How in the hell do I go about cooling this down by 10 degrees? It’s cold in the uk where I live and really windy and the window being open is not cooling this down either. I have heard of air cooled reflectors, will this drop the heat by 10 degrees? Should I look at investing in an led light instead to reduce temp? I have looked at air conditioning too but afraid of how loud that may be, it’s already loud enough with everything I have set up.

Maybe your fan is too weak? Got a picture of the ‘open window’ setup?

the oscillating one Is too weak or the one pulling air out? Also I’m not home at the moment so no picture. Effectively the ducting where the air blowing out is just underneath the window sill and the window is open roughly an inch to 2 inches.This blows directly out into the street so don’t really want to have to crack the window open any more. Any other ways around this?

If money is not an issue buy a LED. But do your research for the one that is best for you. Lots of options. Some good, some not good

i’ve read different things regarding led. Some say they’re not that much cooler than hps? Also I have seen led lights for £150 for 1000 watts and I’ve seen others that are £400 for the same wattage. Will 1000 watts be the same as the 600 watt hps I have?

sorry for excessive questioning

i’ve read different things regarding led. Some say they’re not that much cooler than hps? Also I have seen led lights for £150 for 1000 watts and I’ve seen others that are £400 for the same wattage. Will 1000 watts be the same as the 600 watt hps I have?

sorry for excessive questioning
We have a sponsor here called budget led. They sell quantum board LED lights. In my opinion a 550 watt QB light will be close by comparison to 1k HPS with 1/3 of the heat

I was an avid grower of hps and trust me I know how you feel about controlling heat, I had nearly the same amount of watts trying to cool my setups as the amount I ran in lights, since converting to Led I won't ever look back, I run a 4*3 tent and just pulled 20oz+ of smokable bud and at least 500g of trim from a 2*4 canopy using two Mars Hydro SP250's and I have no doubt I couldn't yield double that in a 4*4, they cost me £400 delivered and I pull 490w from the wall and there is no more heat!

Did I mention, there's no more heat!!! :yahoo:

‘LED’ is definitely not all one thing. In your situation it sounds like what you need if you can afford it. But get the good stuff.

seems like led is what’s going to create the solution for this according to the replies. However there seems to be a common theme of not going for a cheap one and getting a good brand etc. I’m looking to pull 15oz from 4 plants in a 1.2x1.2 setup I don’t know what light I should be looking at to achieve this and roughly how much I should be spending. I’d rather something in the £150 price range if possible but I’m not sure if that would provide me a good led.

I was an avid grower of hps and trust me I know how you feel about controlling heat, I had nearly the same amount of watts trying to cool my setups as the amount I ran in lights, since converting to Led I won't ever look back, I run a 4*3 tent and just pulled 20oz+ of smokable bud and at least 500g of trim from a 2*4 canopy using two Mars Hydro SP250's and I have no doubt I couldn't yield double that in a 4*4, they cost me £400 delivered and I pull 490w from the wall and there is no more heat!

Did I mention, there's no more heat!!! :yahoo:

realistically led sounds like the best option here, it will cool everything down and also be more energy efficient from what I’ve read, as far as I can tell it could be saving over a third of energy costs which is pretty big, if I’m spending say £30 a month I’ll only be spending £10 which means in a year I’ll have saved nearly £250 on energy...possibly more if I take into account that if I want to cool the current setup I have I’m going to have to purchase something else to cool the tent down that’s going to cost in electricity.

interesting. Can you provide a link for this or is it not allowed to be posted?
Something like this. Good luck

Something like this. Good luck
Thanks for providing the link, didn’t realise how much that would be setting me back, seems as if I’ve got myself into a pickle here thinking the initial outlay to set this up would be relatively cheap.

Note to self : research things more before diving in :rolleyes:

In the meantime can your current ventilation system be improved? In the days I had an attic grow I drew and vented air through a window. I built some sort of a plywood box that set in the window space and made the vent setup better and more stealthy.

At this point I feel a bit stupid but I don’t know what it is that’s causing this extreme heat. The window is open, it’s being vented outside the window, it’s 8 Celsius outside overcast/raining which should not be causing the tent to heat up to such temperatures.

an Issue with tweaking the current situation is if I am to buy say another fan/air conditioner or something else it’s going to increase the noise even further than it already is. I can already hear it through the door As it is.

I have Heard about venting into an attic. I could drill a hole in the ceiling and do that But I doubt it would drop the temp to what it needs to be?

When you can get some pics of your system we can take a look at it all. Larger fans aren’t necessarily noisier if they’re good quality. Though there we are talking about spending money again.
There’s usually a lot that can be done to quiet a fan.
There could be other issues by the sounds of it. Can you tell if the fan is drawing properly and pushing air out?
In my attic grow my friend hooked up the ducting and it was several weeks before we figured out he forgot to cut the last stage of the hole to the outside for fresh air. So basically when the fan was going the duct meant for drawing fresh cold air in was just sucking on to a flat wall :(.

my thots,, mine only,,

you say you need to research first,, well, that's what you are doing here

so,, research this,,

plan for 'two' led lights,, research the ones that one can remove the driver off of the unit and move the driver outside the tent,, most important

plan on buying the two led lights in stages ,, one now, and one when funds allow,, a month or two down the road

ditch the hps and install the one light for now,, the plants will still grow,, tho not ultimate,, and if you rotate the plants often to maximize light potential,, all will be just fine till light number two arrives

sounds to me like your hot air is having too difficult of a time to exit the space. maximize that airflow to allow full exhausting. like weaseley mentioned, i did it as well for my window,, build a plywood piece to fit in the window and cut a hole in the plywood 'full 'size of the exhaust pipe.

cheers friend

Back
Top Bottom