How To Cure Your Marijuana Crop

Aloha
The white hairs you speak of are what grabs the male pollen to ferilize the female plant to produce seeds. And it tell you you have a female plant which we all thrive for. Keep it, buds will grow. Any plant that has balls instead of hairs throw away in a tied plastic bag unless you want your white haired plant to produce seeds instead of buds. Hope I helped you. Balls mean male plant and unsmokadle.

I too am in CO, at 7500ft, and it DOES dry fast up here. We have low humidity and that is a plus, in most instances.
Also- time to cure can be quicker. Go ahead and trim if the stems break easily, then place in mason jars and put in dark-ish room, relatively cool. "burp" daily, and after 2-3 weeks it should be greatly improved.
Wish they would think of noting climate conditions, as it varies so much across our great land!!
K

I am drying in my basement in Colorado where the temp is mid 60s but low humidity. Think the fan leaves are drying rather fast (crisp in 3 days). Anyone else have experience drying in similar conditions or dry climate?

I may have missed it, but when does one start trimming? I know, a newbie question.

My dilemma for the curing time is the arid desert of the southwest. Humidity runs in single digits and the temps in triple digits .....drying time is about 30 seconds in July and August....LOL Does anyone here live in the same climate and what have you done to control your cure time and what is your best sized area to do it in? Trying to use a shed would be putting the grow into an out building with inside temps of well over 120 during the day and maybe a low of 95 at night if I were to be lucky.
From what I have read and learned so far I think I must become a hermit and let no one in during the cure period unless I plan to share it. Being the patriarch of the family means visits from the kids and the grandkids....see where I am heading???. I don't plan on sharing with the kids.....

My dilemma for the curing time is the arid desert of the southwest. Humidity runs in single digits and the temps in triple digits .....drying time is about 30 seconds in July and August....LOL Does anyone here live in the same climate and what have you done to control your cure time and what is your best sized area to do it in? Trying to use a shed would be putting the grow into an out building with inside temps of well over 120 during the day and maybe a low of 95 at night if I were to be lucky.
From what I have read and learned so far I think I must become a hermit and let no one in during the cure period unless I plan to share it. Being the patriarch of the family means visits from the kids and the grandkids....see where I am heading???. I don't plan on sharing with the kids.....[/QUuOTE]
Don't grow in the summer.

sorry, new to this website! what exactly does "washing buds" mean??

last year i just cut off the branches and trimmed fresh flowers and threw them on the net rack with a square fan under them running 24/7 and jarred when ready. typically, 5-6 days like you mentioned.

anything i should do differently?
plants are very delicate, throwing them on the rack, sheesh, anyway throwing them on the rack knocks off the trichomes that you've lovingly been growing for 4 months, treat the buds gently!!! And hang them up for a few days before racking them, when you do rack move them every few hours to prevent them from getting flat on one side and knocking more trichomes off. In fact I wouldn't rack them at all.

Got a situation that may arise and am looking for a bit of insight, very shortly after my planned harvest date I go on holiday for 2 weeks. My cab is small and runs light off temps at approx 18c 65f, may rise as ambient does. Humidity of average 35% at the moment. Can't trust anyone to keep my crop.

Do we think it will be OK left in cab for 2 weeks with exhaust fan on and circulation fan or not, I'm slightly worried

Got a situation that may arise and am looking for a bit of insight, very shortly after my planned harvest date I go on holiday for 2 weeks. My cab is small and runs light off temps at approx 18c 65f, may rise as ambient does. Humidity of average 35% at the moment. Can't trust anyone to keep my crop.

Do we think it will be OK left in cab for 2 weeks with exhaust fan on and circulation fan or not, I'm slightly worried

leave fan on and lights off and you should be ok. What do you mean when you say cab?

This is exactly how I made my first bubble just the other day. I took down a couple plants just two days before and put all of the trimmings directly into the freezer. Bought a ton of ice and went to work. Hash turned out fantastic. Light brown, great flavor, great buzz. Good luck dude! :)

I hang dry mine in about 70 degree with fans blowin on them..... Hangin is the first stage I do.. after about 60% of the moister is gone about 7 days I then cut the buds off the branches and then put them on a screen with a fan on it for a few more days, next now that there 90% dry I throw them in a cardboard box for a few more days until 100% dry when u can break the branch and snap it right in half or break the buds nicely..... After the cardboard box I put the buds in mason Jars this is the final step to the cure and what will give it a better aroma and taste... the longer they stay in the jars the better the weeds going to get and taste! I also throw a couple Boveda ready to use gel humidity control packs in the jar to keep the humidity exactly where it should be!

I dried my bud and when i put it in the jar its at 57 humidity in it. Is that gonna be a good enough zone to be in or would it be better to have it a lil higher? I ordered some humidity packs cause I think the ones I have are old and not working well. Will those packs bring up the rh to 62 where it should be.

IMAG006326.jpg
IMAG006326.jpg

I'm on my second cure. first one sucked, weed was harsh and buzzless.
this is going to be better or I'm moving next door to a dispensary in co.

i've heard that rice absorbs humidity so i put rice on bottom of cup,toilet paper over it,weed,toilet paper,rice and covered it with toilet paper :D i hope i helped, comment me if i'm wrong(i need help as well)

From what I have read and learned so far I think I must become a hermit and let no one in during the cure period unless I plan to share it. Being the patriarch of the family means visits from the kids and the grandkids....see where I am heading???. I don't plan on sharing with the kids.....

A simple way that automation would help to slow down the quickening effects of the arid ambient but not a perfect way because this is a simple version of a more expensive (way more expensive, by $5,000!) cannabis stability room:

Line a small closet or cabinet with aluminum (kraft paper backed) sauna vapor barrier. Put a 6" round HVAC damper on the bottom of the closet with a Belimo LMB24-3-T(24 vac) damper actuator. Do the same on top of the closet. Use something weak to blow air into the closet (like a 6"duct booster) for 1 minute and 8 times a day, or some other interval cycle that would make a good starting point to be calibrated or fine tuned after ( a white 24/7 programmable battery back-up timer can power a cheap Supco definite purpose contactor (24 vac coil/240 volt contacts) use 1 set of NO contact on the Supco to open both dampers at the same time and the other set of NO contacts will power the fan for 1 minute. When the timer isn't timed ON the Supco contactor reverts to it's Normally Closed state, where the set of contacts for the fan opens thereby de-energizing the duct booster fan and the NC contacts(dedicated to the damper actuator) give 24 volts to the Close terminal of both dampers simultaneously (the dampers stop closing at fully shut even if 24 vac is constantly fed through NC contact by means of internal damper circuitry.
You monitor the humidity decreases achieved over time as this cycle repeats itself over the course of a few hours. Chart the moisture removal (dip in humidity within the closet; the measured humidity after shutting the dampers and fan, and noting the max humidity reached within the closet after a few minutes or so, or whatever time it takes for the RH to stabilize while the fan is shut and dampers closed. If you add an extra supco relay and an on-delay timer you could have this open/close cycle stop when the measured RH is the target curing RH (that target RH is measured after the maximum amount of time that the drying cabinet may take to RH% stabilize under the most loaded and humid ambient conditions to be sure that you are automatically stopping the open/close cycle at the ideal RH for curing.

You increase or decrease the amount of open/close ventilation cycles according to how fast the humidity dips within and how fast you want drying to take place. This method would require the user to be able to adjust the open/close intervals according to the predicted RH% of the ambient surrounding the drying cabinet. Costs about $500 to do this and will work well with any drying room up 6' x 8' x 6'6". My apologies for the TMI.

Back
Top Bottom