How To Cure Your Marijuana Crop

There isnt a way to cure using only mason jars is there?
Yes, there is. But you stil need to dry most of the moisture out of the MJ first, to avoid mold when you put it in the jars. Then you need to "burp" your jars a couple times a day for at least a week until the RH in the jar is around 62%

If you over-dry, you can use humidipaks to add moisture to the MJ in the jars. But humidipaks won't take moisture OUT of overly-moist weed.

Yes, there is. But you stil need to dry most of the moisture out of the MJ first, to avoid mold when you put it in the jars. Then you need to "burp" your jars a couple times a day for at least a week until the RH in the jar is around 62%

If you over-dry, you can use humidipaks to add moisture to the MJ in the jars. But humidipaks won't take moisture OUT of overly-moist weed.

Ohh okay. Thanks! Do you know anything on curing/drying in a tent?

Ohh okay. Thanks! Do you know anything on curing/drying in a tent?

You can dry in the tent by hanging your branches upside down, with a fan on for ventilation, but you need to cure in ether mason jars or in the freezer. There is a good tutorial on freezer curing, but you get a much better product if you cure them properly in jars at least a month, preferably more.

NEVER USE A MICROWAVE, as it destroys the THC!

You can dry in the tent by hanging your branches upside down, with a fan on for ventilation, but you need to cure in ether mason jars or in the freezer. There is a good tutorial on freezer curing, but you get a much better product if you cure them properly in jars at least a month, preferably more.

NEVER USE A MICROWAVE, as it destroys the THC!

Ok cool im only a few weeks away from my first harvest and im worried about the drying and cure. I will do the hang dry in the tent with a fan on for about about 3-4 days and then cut off the buds from the branches and put them in mason jars with bovedas. I think that should do the trick. Do you agree?

Bovedas 65 would do fine right if the buds are too dry already from the tent drying that the branch snaps?

It should, but I always check after a couple days with a hygrometer to be sure. Sometimes it's worth adding a tad of moisture if the packs can't bring up the RH to 62 - 65. There are many methods to do this, but you don't want to leave whatever you use to provide moisture in the jar for very long, to avoid mold. Just keep checking the RH a couple times a day, and when it's right, remove the paper towel, piece of fruit, or whatever you used for a source of moisture.

My dilemma for the curing time is the arid desert of the southwest. Humidity runs in single digits and the temps in triple digits .....drying time is about 30 seconds in July and August....LOL Does anyone here live in the same climate and what have you done to control your cure time and what is your best sized area to do it in? Trying to use a shed would be putting the grow into an out building with inside temps of well over 120 during the day and maybe a low of 95 at night if I were to be lucky.
From what I have read and learned so far I think I must become a hermit and let no one in during the cure period unless I plan to share it. Being the patriarch of the family means visits from the kids and the grandkids....see where I am heading???. I don't plan on sharing with the kids.....

if I were you DesertSmoke, I'd put the buds in jars after the stems crack but not break with some Bovida packs like in my pic below:

DSC_54941.jpg

But as your temps are high I would buy a fridge (not freezer) and put them in the shed if you have power to it, that way they stay out of sight, sun and heat. ;)

Red.

Im by far no expert but I thought I need to standardize how I cure. Keep it simple. What I do is..
I hang for 7days then I take off the stem and put 1/2lb into a Lg. paper bag for another 7 days. While in the bag I shake it up daily. After that I mason jar them. Its fairly dry where I live. If its hot I will run a fan some.
This works great!! I dont want mold! My finished product is very dry. A few times after I jar them I open and check. All is well!!!! When I first pull I trim all the big stuff (rough trim) and fine trim again before I jar. I will keep up this method. Peace

Hi great reading in here finding myself reading for hours bringing up different topic tabs "to read later" as so much information here.
I was not able to find an answer to my question which is
Do I have to cure my shake/trim from my plants if I am going to use them for edibles like budder or coconut oil?
I don't want the "hay" taste to be transferred into my edibles

Thanks

Hi great reading in here finding myself reading for hours bringing up different topic tabs "to read later" as so much information here.
I was not able to find an answer to my question which is
Do I have to cure my shake/trim from my plants if I am going to use them for edibles like budder or coconut oil?
I don't want the "hay" taste to be transferred into my edibles

Thanks

Id say yes. I wonder the same thing about my hash. It was cured for a year in a jar before process and was killer.

So I have all my different strains at different drying/curing points in Ball Wide Mouth Quart and Pint size caning jars. Some have been curing from anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 weeks. I just bought a foodsaver vacuum sealer, and I want to know at what point can I start vacuum sealing the jars, so I dont' have to worry about them anymore?

What I mean is, is it ok or when is ok that they don't refreshed air (opening/burping the jar one a day or week?)?

Everything each jar is at 62%.

I also have 62% humidipaks. So if it's ok to vacuum seal the jars, should I put the humidipak inside or no since there isn't any air in the jar anyway. I would imagine that I should only use the humidipak after I open that jar to adjust the humidity level if need be. This is also my thinking because I have read that the humidipak can mess with the flavor if in the jar with the weed for too long (months).

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.

I would be vacuum sealing in jars not bags, so the weed doesn't get crushed.

Thanks everyone in advance.

So I have all my different strains at different drying/curing points in Ball Wide Mouth Quart and Pint size caning jars. Some have been curing from anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 weeks. I just bought a foodsaver vacuum sealer, and I want to know at what point can I start vacuum sealing the jars, so I dont' have to worry about them anymore?

What I mean is, is it ok or when is ok that they don't refreshed air (opening/burping the jar one a day or week?)?

Everything each jar is at 62%.

I also have 62% humidipaks. So if it's ok to vacuum seal the jars, should I put the humidipak inside or no since there isn't any air in the jar anyway. I would imagine that I should only use the humidipak after I open that jar to adjust the humidity level if need be. This is also my thinking because I have read that the humidipak can mess with the flavor if in the jar with the weed for too long (months).

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.

I would be vacuum sealing in jars not bags, so the weed doesn't get crushed.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Hello Nu Nu!! Im by far no expert but I plan to jar everything untill the jars run out then vacuum seal. Dont store the boveda with the product just put the boveda in to refeshen before use. You only have to burp the jars a few times to make sure all is well then maybe check in a few weeks and if all is well maybe open every 6 mo. Dont vacuum seal the jars, no need. Check out my thread Nu Nu! Id love to have you around! Peace

I used this schedule by medmanmike, works like a charm:

I use Boveda 62% with great success. I dry for 7-10 days, place the buds in qt jars and cure for 10 days. Here is the schedule I use. * Day 1-3: Lids off 3 x for 10 min. Day 4-6: Lids off AM and PM for 10 min. Day 7-9: Lids off once for 30 min. Day 10: Ready. I place a small hygrometer in the jar to test the RH on day 10.

At that point, as long as the RH is within a few %points of 62%, I add one Boveda 62% packet to the jar. After a week, I'll check the RH again and I'm good to go.

Once, I made the mistake of putting to large of a bud in the jar, which required a couple of days of additional drying.

Weeks, months later, the buds feel pliable (spongy), smell fresh and the terpene odors are exquisite!

One time I was rushed as we were leaving on vacation and had to skip one of the 30 min sessions. I threw in a Boveda and when we came back two weeks later the buds were fine.

Back
Top Bottom