how to deal with heat problems?

MickeySSP

Currently i have 3 plants. 2 of them are seedlings and ive been keeping them outdoors, my other one is flowing in my grow room. The summer hasn't even started and already it gets riduculously hot in there witch is why i took out my two seedlings because i don't think they were diggin it lol. I currently don't have a fan or any ventelation system. My grow room is a closet about 10' wide 3-4' deep and about 7' tall. I want to set up another grow soon but im kind of sceptical because of the heat that is going to be coming. The summers here get up to 105-110 degrees. Im wondering if i used a 400 watt hps what kind of fans/ventalation would i need and about how much it would cost me, because if its going to be really expensive i'd rather set something up outdoors. Any help is appreciated thanx :grinjoint:

Re: how to deal with heat problems ?

What is the temp in your grow room usually? If you don't have a therm/hygrometer in there I'd get one to know.

You need a fan that has enough CFM (Cubic Feet of air per Minute). You've got 10' x 4' x 7' so that's = 280. So you'll need a fan that is at least 280 CFM which isn't much at all.

If it's solely a personal grow, honestly I'd just get a T5 Badboy and not have to worry about ventilation, AS MUCH; still going to need some type with those kind of temps.

You may also consider getting an A/C unit to help with your closet. As far as prices, I'd say check out some of 420mag's sponsors and go hunting for fan that is 280 CFM or more and the A/C unit.

Actually, you need to move much more air than that if heat is an issue. You need to exchange the total volume of air in your space (280 ft³) 3-5 times a minute. That's 840 to 1400 cfm. Moving that much air can be expensive. This is based on your statement that summer heat will be an issue in your space. For just simple ventilation, exchanging your rooms air once per minute is sufficient...

thanks for the reply's i appreicate it very much :) I was wondering then is it even worth growing indoors in my summer heat? This has been my first time growing so idk how the heat effects the plants yet. I was looking into maybe getting 2 250watt par max cfls? I would just wing it with the indoors but my brother is going to front me the money for the set up so i really don't want it to fail lol. If i grow outdoors what is some anti theft shit i could set up, because behind my backyard is a canal so someone could just go through there and hop the fence and rob my ass blind :(

You need to get creative and move ALOT of fresh air thru your grow space. If you can cool that fresh air it's even better.
I live in a nasty hot climate in the Summer. I've seen Satan himself walking around bitchin' about it being so hot!
To beat it I run my lights at night and move some serious amounts of fresh air thru my room. I built a chiller based air cooling system that pulls incoming air down to 64 degrees and now my grow room does not ever get hotter than 80 degrees. Here is the how the system is set up and run Orangeblood's Area 420 Skunkworks Extravaganza
This system may be too elaborate for you but it may give you some ideas and inspiration :goodluck::Rasta:

thanx for the link ima be sure to check it out :slide: and lol hogdady i have 6 dogs but i know for a fact someone could sneak into my backyard because when i was younger i would sneak in and out of my backyard with no problems lol. one of my friends dad who grows outdoors uses fishing line with razor blades on the end and hangs them all over his plants, do you think that would even work to stop a bud snatching though?

Don't let anybody know you're growing and keep it concealed...or wait until it's budding and tie some fishing line around the plant and your big toe. Lol. Hopefully nobody ganks it while it's still vegging. A friend of mine once ripped off somebody's plant. It was 6 ft tall and it hadn't even started budding yet. First, that was an incredibly dick move on his part. And second, there was nothing on it to even smoke. What a jackass.

lol man a long time ago i stole someone's plants but they had about 10 outdoor plants that were huge and i took maybe 3-4 ounces and i am a strong believer in karma so im kind of sceptical about growing outdoors because i don't want to go into my backyard one day and be like :whoa:

lol i learned my lesson though... the second time i tried to go back the dudes were waiting for me and my brother with a rifle. As soon as my brother hopped there fence i hear "whats up homeboy"... i bounced out and my brother broke his knee hopping back over the fence. They chased me but i got away but they were suprisingly cool about it when they relized my brother was just a kid at the time, and i don't think im ever going to try that one again :winkyface:

Lots of good info up here, but I think we might be missing a key point. Not sure what the ambient temperature of your room is now, or where you'd be venting from or to; but... If you only use fans, you will never be able to get the air any cooler than the ambient temperature of the intake. Unless you run your house's AC to compensate - fans will not do the trick in 100+ weather. But you have a relatively small room - the right A/C would do it fine.

Not sure if that's helpful or not.

:goodluck::smokin:

Back
Top Bottom