How to fix broken stem and two broken branches

Phillybonker

One of my plants that is growing outdoors in the bush and has been topped and LST'd got flattened by a storm before I had a chance to bamboo the branches and stem. The stem is broken at the topped node and two main branches have also been broken. The plant was about 5ft tall but got completely flattened to the ground.

This happened three days ago and I've only just visited the plant today, I did my best to prop up the stem and branches using garden wire and a few sticks I found nearby.

While the branches and stems were on the ground for three days the plant branches started reaching for the sun giving the branches a curved shape which makes it even harder to mend the plant because the branches curve into each other when propped up back into position. So my plan is to give it two or three days in the sun so the plant can angle it's branches upwards and out of the curvy shape the branches currently have.

When I revisit the plant in two or three days I was going to use zip ties and duct tape to mend the massive injuries, does anyone have any ideas what else I can do to help this plant?

I shave used tape, but by that many days it may of healed itself or the branches will have died off. If they started pointing back up then it sounds like they might have got a natural super cropping.
The plant took a real beating, well beyond super cropping, I can no longer LST the plant because of the injuries and shape of the branches which are pointing inward back toward the centre of the plant after I propped up the branches.

Depressing to say the least but you got a good point, the branches would have died off by now if the injuries are too severe.

If they are turning up and the leaves are not wilted, I’d leave it like it is. Some of those branches might not be hanging on by much. Moving them might cause further damage. Support it the way it is so it doesn’t suffer additional damage.
One branch ain't hanging on by much but I have to prop the branches up back into position because all the branches were on the ground lying in the dirt. When I said the plant got completely flattened I wasn't exaggerating.

It might be too late now, but in the future, you can use some plant tape. It stretches as the branch grows. Basically, put the branch back so that it doesn't look broken, then tape it. I would also put some raw honey on the break after fitting the branch back together before applying the tape.

It might be too late now, but in the future, you can use some plant tape. It stretches as the branch grows. Basically, put the branch back so that it doesn't look broken, then tape it. I would also put some raw honey on the break after fitting the branch back together before applying the tape.
Great ideas!! I didn't know plant tape exists, Thanks.:)

If they are turning up and the leaves are not wilted, I’d leave it like it is. Some of those branches might not be hanging on by much. Moving them might cause further damage. Support it the way it is so it doesn’t suffer additional damage.
The leaves are wilting and it is dying now. I think what killed it is me fixing it back into it's original position which stressed it out too much when it was already stressed from the broken branches.

I've got another plant that broke between the node of both main stems (plant is topped). I was more gentle this time and I think it only happened the day before so I caught it earlier compared to the other broken plant which was probably damaged 3-4 days prior to me founding it.

The leaves are wilting and it is dying now. I think what killed it is me fixing it back into it's original position which stressed it out too much when it was already stressed from the broken branches.

I've got another plant that broke between the node of both main stems (plant is topped). I was more gentle this time and I think it only happened the day before so I caught it earlier compared to the other broken plant which was probably damaged 3-4 days prior to me founding it.
All the leaves on all the branches? Can you save any of it? Focus attention to growing and saving the healthy parts?

after three days the break will have dried to the point a split or break won't knit together if taped back up but you can try.

use electrical tape. works exactly the same without the fancy ass price tag. particularly useful outdoor.

All the leaves on all the branches? Can you save any of it? Focus attention to growing and saving the healthy parts?
There is only two branches that aren't wilting and those are badly damaged as well. I'll leave it and see how it goes. I don't want to be wasting time and resources on a plant that won't produce much. For example I've got to haul water to the plants from a stream that is a 10 minute walk away and I'd rather use that effort carrying 20+Litres of water to healthy plants.

after three days the break will have dried to the point a split or break won't knit together if taped back up but you can try.
Yeah it didn't knit back together because it already dried. I shouldn't have tried putting it back together and instead I should have just lifting it off the ground a little and fixed it into place.

I just did something similar yesterday with another broken plant, not trying to knit it back together but just lifting it off the ground and fixing it into place. I'll know in 6 days whether that worked or not when I next go visit the plants.

The problem the plant experiences initially when a branch breaks is the water pathway becomes unusable - after a few days with little or no water, even a human can die. Branches can mend as long as that water path can be restored relatively quickly, but if it is already dried out, chances are very low of recovery.

Yeah it didn't knit back together because it already dried. I shouldn't have tried putting it back together and instead I should have just lifting it off the ground a little and fixed it into place.

I just did something similar yesterday with another broken plant, not trying to knit it back together but just lifting it off the ground and fixing it into place. I'll know in 6 days whether that worked or not when I next go visit the plants.

i always carried electrical tape when i tended guerilla grows. if you can get to it fast enough it'll knit. i use it indoor as well on breaks etc. it's easy to carry a roll or two and you can get it for less than a buck on sale.

it also works good in the wild to tie branches for lst.

The problem the plant experiences initially when a branch breaks is the water pathway becomes unusable - after a few days with little or no water, even a human can die. Branches can mend as long as that water path can be restored relatively quickly, but if it is already dried out, chances are very low of recovery.

it will survive so long as enough branch is left to carry water and nutrients. it's surprising how well they can do.

The main stem has a 4 inch split down the middle, the main stem also happens to only be 4 inches long because it was topped by some sort of bug at one node when it was a seedling so the main stem is only 4 inches from the ground before it branches out into the two semi main stems. It looks like two plants with one main stem.

Do you think the water pathway is too badly damaged for the plant to survive?

i always carried electrical tape when i tended guerilla grows. if you can get to it fast enough it'll knit. i use it indoor as well on breaks etc. it's easy to carry a roll or two and you can get it for less than a buck on sale.

it also works good in the wild to tie branches for lst.

it will survive so long as enough branch is left to carry water and nutrients. it's surprising how well they can do.
I'll carry some electrical tape on me just in case it comes in handy. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom