How To Germinate Seeds

One thing to note about sowing and germinating seeds in soil; I would recommend using sterilized soil (if you use soil) when germinating MJ seeds. I never had issues germinating western hemisphere landrace sativa seeds in any type of soil in the western US. However, I germinated some eastern hemisphere indica seeds this year in soil and 30% of them died from dampening off (fungus). Just a note from my experience. Jiffy pots and the like tend to be steam sterilized, so they are fine. The classic UC Davis media for cuttings and seed sowing is 50% peat moss and 50% sand. Both can be steam sterilized, or you can roast germination soil in your oven to sterilize it. 250 deg F. should kill anything when baking the soil. Compost that has 'cooked' should also be sterile. That is for any kind of plants and seeds, not just Cannabis. Once germinated and the true leaves form, dampening off is usually no longer a problem. At that point I transplant my seedlings into non-sterile soil, because I want a fungal mass to grow and interact with the plant roots. You can add fungal spores or you can do what I do, which is to use some plain garden soil added to the potting mix to inoculate the soil with the fungal spores that are there. Here in the PNW, most soils are very rich in a wide variety of fungal spores. I have a dozen different types of shrooms fruiting on my property right now. Some are edible, like Chanterelles and Boletus.

Also one more point: if you have old landrace seeds like I do in frozen storage, the seed casings get harder over time. They get so hard that they tend not to germinate unless you nick or file down the seed casing before you sow them. I usually germinate my seeds using a wet paper towel. Place the paper towel on a plate. Fold it into quarters. Pour enough water on the paper towel to soak it, but not have any water pooling. Put the seeds into the middle layer of the wet paper towel and put them in a dark warm place. Once the seed cases pop open, I move them into 4" pots and gently cover them with 1/4" of sterile soil media and put them under floro lights.

Lots of different methods work for germinating and growing weed. Its a WEED after all. I have dumped seeds into a cat litter box outside in the rain and had almost every one of them sprout. My mom got on my case and asked me what those little trees were that were growing in the cat box. I had to dispose of them. I wound up giving them to a friend whose father had a ranch in Carmel Valley, CA. I gave them to him with the understanding that I would get 2 mature seeded females at harvest time. Well that time never came, because the foreman on the ranch found the plants 2 months later and ripped them all up! :rip:

How long should Bubbelicious seeds take to sprout? This is my first introduction to this strain, as my previous experience as with a sativa, which all sprouted within a week. At what point should I consider the seed a dud, so I can plant another? (I'm doing these one at a time)

How long should Bubbelicious seeds take to sprout? This is my first introduction to this strain, as my previous experience as with a sativa, which all sprouted within a week. At what point should I consider the seed a dud, so I can plant another? (I'm doing these one at a time)

LOL! Never mind! % hours after I posted this question, Bubba #1 poked its head above the soil! So that makes 3 days!

I'm 61 years at this point and I don't write that much those days.But ok... one more time.
After 45 years working with cannabis I'm totally sure that you may germinate seeds best between cotton-wool !
Take clean cotton-wool from the pharmatica shop, take a peace off and make it totally wet.
Then you push with one hand 90% of the water out.
Open the cotton and lay down your seeds on half of the cotton. Close the cotton and pack it in kitchen folie ! After that, you pack it up with some alluminium folie. If you do this, after holding them 30-32 hours on chamber temperture ( 22-23 degrees Celcius) you have to plant them into a medium. Even the ones whore not yet open you also should plant them. Ones they are just open they NEED to be planted as soon as possible.A long root out of a seed means that they are wasting energy. The plant needs to make leaves as soon as possible because of the synthese who has to do the real job. Cannabis seeds only do have a small placenta, so no time for any dissturbing factors.
With respect,

I'm 61 years at this point and I don't write that much those days.But ok... one more time.
After 45 years working with cannabis I'm totally sure that you may germinate seeds best between cotton-wool !
Take clean cotton-wool from the pharmatica shop, take a peace off and make it totally wet.
Then you push with one hand 90% of the water out.
Open the cotton and lay down your seeds on half of the cotton. Close the cotton and pack it in kitchen folie ! After that, you pack it up with some alluminium folie. If you do this, after holding them 30-32 hours on chamber temperture ( 22-23 degrees Celcius) you have to plant them into a medium. Even the ones whore not yet open you also should plant them. Ones they are just open they NEED to be planted as soon as possible.A long root out of a seed means that they are wasting energy. The plant needs to make leaves as soon as possible because of the synthese who has to do the real job. Cannabis seeds only do have a small placenta, so no time for any dissturbing factors.
With respect,

I like the idea of using cotton wool (cotton balls here in the USA). That's something no one else has mentioned yet. And yes, it is imperative to get the seeds into the soil after they've been soaked, so they don't rot.

Do you plant the whole cotton ball into the soil, or do you try and remove the sprouted seedling from the ball first?

I was talking about the cotton we buy in the shop for medical reason.
They are "zich-zach" packed in a plastic back with a string in top to keep it clean.
After 30-32 hours... you need to plant the seeds in the medium you're using to grow them to heaven ! :)

Um, my engineering and horticultural background both say otherwise. Photosynthesis DOES discriminate by distance... and VERY rapidly if you are using a single indoor source of light. Light intensity drops by the square of the distance; meaning the light 2 feet from a light source has 1/2^2 or 1/4 the light intensity of the light one foot from the light source. The same light 3 feet away has 1/3^2 or 1/9 the light intensity at one foot, and so on. This is a huge problem when using single source indoor lights. See this Nasa image for the fall off of light intensity with distance

Compare this to the sun: the sun is so far away that the light intensity at soil level is virtually the same as light 100 feet closer to the sun. So when growing weed in sunlight there is no measurable difference in intensity between top leaves and lower leaves (unless they are shaded). The square of the distance rule does not really apply (it is so small as to be unmeasurable), and hence outdoors your statement is correct. But indoors, it is not. You are better off having your plants hug the light as close as they can without burning to get the most energy from the bulbs. I put my cool floros right above the leaves by an inch or so. The MH I set up about a foot above the tops to keep the leaves from burning.
LMFAO in trying to refute my post with your "engineering and horticultural background", you basically confirmed exactly what I said with your sun example. Read my post again, but this time to the end.

Holy Cow... I guess it can be really complicated if you try...
Hmmm, wet paper towel in a Baggie.
Two days later...I better git some Solo cups going.
These are part of my 2016 outside Army
I like this method for a few reasons:
It's easy
You can SEE THRU IT
it keeps the seed moist

Tomato_32_.JPG

Tomato_42_.JPG

Re: How to germinate seeds ?!

I agree with you on not starting out the seeds in a bowl of water. I have big clumsy fingers and usually have destroyed the tap root on half of my seeds that sprouted.
I just read the instructions on the Root Riot cube bag. It said you can germinate the seeds in the cubes.
I put my next run of seeds directly into the root riot cubes and all ten came up in very short time.
After one week they are now about six inches tall and have the second set of leaves.
I am using a dome and do foliar spray and check the cubes to make sure they are barely moist.
I am using a UFO LED light over them and keeping it a few inches over the dome.
These are fake CW seeds and will see how they test after they get bigger.
Going to put ten Harle Tsu High CBD SEEDS in cubes to germinate today and also some AVIDEKEL Hhgh CBD

Lots of great ideas here on Germinating.
I was in a little hurry and just put 10 High CBD seeds into some Root Riot cubes which were next to some AC/DC clones.
It had a small T8 Flo light over the dome for the other clones.
All ten seeds germinated and after I verified the root peaking out the bottom of the cubes I transfered the cubes to some small planters using some potting soil from a local supplier.
One note of caution; from a previous round of germinating seedlings I found out the hard way that you must have your light close to the seedlings when they get their first real set of leaves. I had my light too high and the seedlings stretched so high looking for the light they all fell over. I saved all but one by taking some stiff wire and making a open loop at one end and carefully poked the wire in the cube.
I then carefully put the seedling stem into the loop. This held them up and kept from falling over again and they eventually got strong and could stand up on their own.
The new seedlings are now by themselves with a UFO Led light over them. They are Doing very good and will keep them in VEG for awhile till they get 12" to 18" tall then put them into flower. Will take some photos of them and share them here on the forum. Thanks to everyone for the great ideas they have shared. This is one of the nicest sites I have ever visited and great growers here also.

personally I have used a combination method that works (at least for me) 100%.

I soak the seeds in ~40c water (very warm, not scalding water) for 1-2 hours, this softens the seed coat enough to allow a little moisture into the seed.. tiny bubbles should be visible from the seedcoat while doing this.

After this initial treatment I transfer to a paper towel or cotton pad soaked with water and place on a heating mat ( in a darkish spot) for at least 12-18 hours. ( keep checking every 10 hours) The paper towel/cotton must be folded over to keep seeds completely covered. I just did a new (replacement) CKS blueberry strain this way and every one of these sprouted within 48 hours (60%-- majority sprouting in 24 hours).

This is guaranteed to give 100% germination of even the most stubborn of seeds.

So, I use a pre-soak method to soften the seed coat and then a modified version of the paper towel method with a heat pad.

I have tranferred my 5 seeds after 4 days into 5 jar of 6x4 inch
pot-rond-plastique-15l-28x28-cm.jpg
. I know that my little sprout are very delicate at this step. But it can dead after this. You know it's my first time growing and my seeds are like 5 babies for me :circle-of-love:

Thank for your excellent post Pigeons420. Your post help me to understand much easier how to grow weed !! :cheer:. But it is nocive for my sprout to transfer them after 4 days from my little of eggs box to a biggest jar ? I think that the first choice to start my seed in a eggs box are a bad idea, so i transfer them into 5 biggest jar. The question are : my germ was at 1 inch when i do the transplanting of the eggs box to the jar. Does my sprout will be affected about that. Thank for your answers !! :Namaste:

Yea you don't want to transplant them too early. It has to be done after the first couple weeks. Some of the strong ones will survive but generally, start them in something small and move them up.

The egg carton isn't a bad idea. It just means you'll have to get them transplanted sooner. Not a big deal if you've got it all sorted out.

Thanks for the love my man!

Ok thank you Pigeons !! My 5 seeds are Northern Light auto flowering so i think that the sprout are not so difficult. Thank you again for your help !! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom