How To Germinate Seeds

Hi - This will be my first time starting from seeds - I have heard that the cube prevent growth on seeds - is that true to your experience? Kind of getting confused about all the different version on how to germinate..paper/ cotton balls/ egg carton etc...
I was planning to use those cubes - then put the cubes themselves in a 4/4 ( as to not disturb the roots) with low nutrient soil and then to a bigger pot ( 2G) -with richer oil - although not sure exactly that transplant should happen..
so questions: Are cube bad for germinating?
And how long you wait ( leaves/hight) before the first transplant ?
Thank you so much - from a Newbie in germinating :)

Honestly if you can start your seedlings ( after germination stage) in a bigger coco-peat pot, you'll minimize the amount of transplanting you'll need to do.
The few times transplanting the better your roots will be /the lack of potential root shock.

So directly from germination - putting the cube into a 2G directly ( these plants will grow outdoor..) - skip the 4/4 ?
What about eh cubes ? are they ok to use?..

Thank you so much fo your time an deeply !:)

If you're talking about hydro cubes then no... if it is those your are referring to ... Those are typically synthetic material
and used for cloning.
I'd personally use 1Gal coco-peat (mix or compressed starter block) to get the plants to vegetative stage (cocopeat is neutral and won't retain too much H2O). After your plants start getting bigger than 1gal transplant into rich well draining soil. I dope my soil with a little MgSO4
to help with uptake of Fe.

Great question, if you haven't figured it out yet, I've got a number of germinating videos on my YouTube channel that cover the process very well.
I know how confusing it can be to understand all the different methods. But you find the one that works best for you.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

hi everyone, I am having trouble with some autoflower seeds. The two seeds have been in water for 25 hours and counting and i still can't see a root from either. I tested this method with some bag seed before and had no problem, roots showing within hours. This time no roots over 24hours later! got the seeds from sensi seeds in amsterdam (auto white diesel haze).what do you think i can do, should i wait or transfer to paper towel with no root?
ALSO if these don't germinate i am on a serious clock to finish a grow. Any advice on the fastest autos to order? I am in Ireland and have to finish the grow on the 19th of May latest. That's currently 101 days and counting. Any fast auto strains from a company that delivers fast to Ireland side of the world would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

hi everyone, I am having trouble with some autoflower seeds. The two seeds have been in water for 25 hours and counting and i still can't see a root from either. I tested this method with some bag seed before and had no problem, roots showing within hours. This time no roots over 24hours later! got the seeds from sensi seeds in amsterdam (auto white diesel haze).what do you think i can do, should i wait or transfer to paper towel with no root?

Your seeds should have rooted by now. Honestly the seeds should crack within 3-5 hours of having them in warm-hot (38-42c) water. However, some of those autoflowering seeds can be stubborn.
*Try scarifying the point end with an emery board carefully (gently) and see it you can't see any white. If the inside looks brownish they're dead. after scarifying them, put them back in fresh hot water ( water should be as hot as you can stand without burning you 38-41c and no more)

** look for a) floating seeds b) air bubbles.. this will occur within 2-5 minutes.. look carefully. If any float they're no good!
air bubbles when they sink = good seed. (usually) Sinking is usually a good indicator on it's own.
I'd never recommend soaking seeds for more than 10 hours as there is a good possibility of drowning the seeds.

After the seeds crack, transfer to paper towel or sow directly into a sterile medium. Cocopeat etc. with bottom heating or someplace warm (22-25c). Hopefully this helps... failing all of this contact the company as they might be sterilized.

Thanks,
The first sank 2 hours in, the second 4 hours in, they have been in a dark place about 30 Celsius. Should i move them to paper with no root? I'll not give up on them yet but might order fast autos anyway to cover my bases.
Any thoughts on this ---> "ALSO if these don't germinate i am on a serious clock to finish a grow. Any advice on the fastest autos to order? I am in Ireland and have to finish the grow on the 19th of May latest. That's currently 101 days and counting. Any fast auto strains from a company that delivers fast to Ireland side of the world would be GREATLY appreciated!!!"

Those sound like they need to be assisted. soak first in hot water for 2 hours then try a emery board ( scarifying method) and then put in a paper towel.
you should have roots in a day or 2.

Hot water method will soften the seed coat... keeping the seeds in the dark isn't recommended ( might actually cause more issues that it would solve) . A little light can help them wake.
Remember these are auto flowering seeds and are very light sensitive. Ruderalis x hybrids respond to lighting conditions very quickly as C.Sativa f. Ruderalis comes from central asia where the growing seasons are short. They're not as popular anymore in Canada as many are mediocre - poor performers.

I just put new batch of seeds in rapid rooters after soaking for 2 days. They are in a 5 x 5 tent under humidity dome, not under direct light. There is a 200w LED in same tent, over my two autos that are like 35 days old and going. After these sprout, should i put under my cheap 10$ fluorescent, or put under the LED? And how far away!!?? My first grow the seedlings stretched rly bad when sprouting. they sprouted and i had fluorescent 6 inches away and gradually moved closer. Half of this new batch is going outdoors probably in 3 weeks after growing in tent.

Man oh man... You better would go by the 12/12 system.
Problem is...the auto's don't like that.
I suggest : please inform you better in the 12/12 system and it will give you more possibilities .

Stay cool, Cees

Great question, if you haven't figured it out yet, I've got a number of germinating videos on my YouTube channel that cover the process very well.
I know how confusing it can be to understand all the different methods. But you find the one that works best for you.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

I'm going to be definitely check these videos out if they are still up kind of an old thread but still good information

I've put my seeds after being in water for at least 24hrs, in a damp paper towel. Then in a Ziploc bag, blow Aire into the Ziploc to fill it up, seal it, then place it on a towel that's on a heating pad , on the towel so it stays around 88-90 deg, don't want to cook the seeds

I tried this for some stubborn seeds and it worked well

I will only have a Mars Hydro 300w and was planning on keeping it well elevated during germination and seedling development.

Will that suffice or should I invest in a2' 2 bulb T5 hood for germination through early growth?

I will only have a Mars Hydro 300w and was planning on keeping it well elevated during germination and seedling development.

Will that suffice or should I invest in a2' 2 bulb T5 hood for germination through early growth?

I like to get the lights fairly close. I put my hand under the light, and if I feel heat, it's too close. I also keep a close watch, and if I see stretch, I put a small oscillating fan on them. Just enough air movement to jiggle the plants a bit. That causes the plant to strengthen the stem. I keep a fan on them from start of veg throughout the grow. Keeps the stems strong and the air circulation helps the leaves get plenty of air. Also, all plants transpire (give off water vapor through the stomata). When they flower, you don't want moisture rising into the buds. Never had mold or fungus problems on the buds with the fan.

I have an upcoming 1st grow. After spending the last 4-5 days researching germination techniques on a variety of sites.

Here's my tentative plan based on that research:
I'll b using generic rooting plugs which I assume r similar to rapid rooters? This is many people's preferred choice (Including soma) due to ease and less risk of damaging delicate baby roots.

The difference in my proposed plan and others I've found using plugs is that I'll be placing the plugs into a cup of coco at least 3-4 inches deep to allow the tap root (which apparently shoots straight down very rapidly after the onset of germination/sprouting) room to grow.

This will also allow me 1 less transplant. I'm going to b using 3 gal smartpots so they may only need 1 pot switch.

I know opinions vary wildly on the best way to germinate seeds. I'm not necessarily looking to revisit everyone's favorite but I AM looking for experienced growers to point out anything illogical about this approach.

* wish me luck with my seed stock. I've got a lot of goodies but they were all procured prior to the sky falling on my head over 3 years ago. They have been stored responsibly tho.

Tia for helpful feedback and peace out.

no feedback?
Alright chief. :ciao: Look I don't know much...anything about those plugs. I did the overnight soak, then paper towel and then into soil. Just started my 2nd grow and just now I see the 5th seed has germinated. That's 5/5. Although 1 did give me trouble in the last week!
I just said I'd weigh in on what I found with the 1st grow with respect to transplanting. When they were small it was easy. They didn't suffer at all. They are robust. They don't call it weed for nothing! My mistake was not putting them in their final pots early enough and having to transfer bigger plants. They were a bit shook looking afterwards but did recover quickly. Get them germinating. Once you have a root, worry about the leaves coming up. As soon as there are leaves get them under a light. And optionally repot as they get bigger depending on the pot. I don't think it matters how many transfers are involved in this!
As I say I don't know about plugs but you mentioned putting them 3-4" deep. I presume thats after the stems are up. Sounds too deep for a seed.
Best of luck. :goodluck: Are you doing a journal here? What ye growing? :peace:

Back
Top Bottom