How to grow a male plant to get best seeds?

azaiden

I have a very nice male plant that I am growing intentionaly to get some seeds.
At the moment its got hundreds of what I thought were seeds but some off them just started to open into little white flowers and polenate.
My question is, when is the best time to cut it and dry it so I have good usable seeds?
and are the seeds brown befor you cut and dry the plant or do they go brown while drying?
Any other info on male plant growing would be helpful to thanks.

Seeds don't grow on male plants. All of those things you thought were seeds will open up into flowers. If you don't have a female to breed this plant with, you can collect the pollen, and keep it someplace cood, dark, and very dry for up to several months.

ok thanks for the help I will put a female in with him today.
I have white widow or skunk special.
should the female be in 12/12 when added or just befor 12/12
or any age?

the plant should be in the flowering stage. the pistols catch the pollen and that is how a seed is made. so i would say it has to be old enough for you to kno that its a female, and most people kno this bc theyre plants are on 12/12.

I put a female clone in that had just a few veryy small buds and white hairs and now it has pistals comming out of it left right and centre so I think she was succesfully done by him.
I have taken him out and killed him now but I bagged all his pollen sacks just incase.
Now that she has been polenated can she go back in with my other girls or would she now polenate them if they were put together?

Thank you all for your previouse help, I will hopfuly have some nice skunk special x white widow seeds soon

She'll keep growing pistils no matter what.. I'd recommend taking the bag with the pollen sacks and putting the whole thing over a branch and shake well! Rub the pistils around in the pollen and then remove the bag.

Wait a day or two and then spray the female plant down with water. That will kill any remaining pollen floating around her, and then put her back with the rest of the girls and you should be good to go.

Peace
MC

Thanks madamcrash, I spent the first 3 days while the male plant was still alive shaking the hell out of it over the top of the female and you could see the polen covering the female but I will do the same with the polen in the bag just to be sure and after the last time I do it If I wait 3 days give it a good spray down then wait a day or 2 more spray it again it should go back in with the others without polinating them to ?
If so that would be great as I hate running 2 rooms, one just for one plant off seeds but hey ya got to do what ya got to do.

topher82 said:
how long can you store pollen? and what would be the best way to store it?

I used to allow one male to flower and collect the pollen. Fresh is best so use it and toss out what you don't use. Cut off all lower branches and lower flowers leaving the top of the plant intact. put a bread baggie over the top and bread tie it around the stalk. Allow it to flower inside the bread baggie for a week or so, or longer if you want to. Cut off the top and turn it upside down. Tap it to make all the pollen collect in the bottom of the bread bag. You now have your own source of seed making material. I stored it in the baggie and when I was ready to pollinate a female, I'd use a testors paint brush and paint a few buds on one female with the pollen. It worked great and was easy to control. I didn't even remove the female from the grow room. A few surrounding females might produce a few seeds but the impact was extremely minimal. A better way to pollinate is to manipulate a female into producing flowers and collecting that pollen. The female that you paint with that pollen wil produce seeds that are called "Feminized" and the offspring will have an extremely high chance of being female.

how are these feminized seeds different then when the males just happen to drop pollen on them?

Fem seeds are made when (for one of several reasons) a female plant grows male flowers. This is called a hermaphrodite. Since these male flowers grow on the female plant, they only contain the female sex chromisome, so all the seeds polinated by these Hermaphroditic male flowers will only be female. Female plants will grow male flowers if they receive too much stress, ie too hot, too cold, to dry, or too wet, or root bound... There are also several chemicals that can be used to cause a female to grow male flowers. Pollen from male plants carries both male and female sex chromisomes so you end up with a 50/50 mix of male/female seeds.

thanks vinter.

can you polinate just one little cola, say at the bottom of the plant? Just to get a couple of seeds is that possible

Back
Top Bottom