How to grow in Coco: Feed schedule

Not got time to catch up on a thousand posts but just read the first post.
"Calmag is not necessary if you have quality water"
First time in 4 years of forming I've seen someone that actually understands that fact and doesn't insist that seedlings need more calmag than I feed in total to a fully grown plant. Yaay for sanity :)
Ah sorry I must have miss read it, yeah 300 should be okay.

It's apparently so that the roots will get burn but I've grown hundreds and the only problems I have had on them is slight over watering like your info you have given.

I find that I do get some strains where I have root problems, not bad problems just not the greatest of genetics is all I can think, I have found that I would but the plants in a tray, feed them one day and bottom feed them for a few weeks after, so basically too feed, bottom,bottom, bottom too ect.
I've started bottom feeding my coco pots too. Just easier. Stick the pot in a tub and fill that every few days instead of messing about dealing with 20l of run off every day.
Way too much drama for me lol.
Always amazes me the amount of folk that think coco can't sit in water or it'll die.

I ran for years Ian coco without CalMag and never once had a problem, my water is 80-120ppm so if been lucky.

I did run a LED light for 2 weeks last month and you really could tell I used the LED light as my plant leaves were marked.

If you have a well buffered coco with cal and mag you maybe not need extra calmag. If your tapwater has enough calmag you also dont need extra calmag i think. I found a good video growing in coco coir but i dont know if i can upload it in here or i get a ban for uploading videos if someone wants the video and if i dont get banned i will give you the Youtube link

This looks like a Magnesium deficiency to me or im wrong? My big plants show this deficiency at the bottom leaves

Attachments

• DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    524.4 KB · Views: 79
most coco is unbuffered, "having the right water" means you water has trace amounts in it which i have never had here in oregon. i get 30ppm out of the tap at 6.1 ph. usually you have to give MORE MG to coco because it EATS it. so what you are saying is only true in YOUR case.
I wouldnt ever say those words you have on this forum someone is going to run with it and try and give RO water with no minerals in it lol.

Hi Cult et al

I've started a small grow in coco mainly using info from the GWE site, the info there has been helpful but it isn't as technical and in-depth as the info here so after reading literally every post in this thread I've come to realise I made a few mistakes early on. Here's a summary:
  • I started in coco in Jiffy brand peat pots instead of solo cups, these have poor drainage as the pot itself absorbs some water and stays moist, so I think I ended up over/underwatering in the seedling stage.. to combat that I thought I was doing the right thing by letting the coco dry fairly well then watering with plain water to 'reset' but I think that's done more damage than good. Bottom leaves on my two bigger seedlings went yellow then brown.
  • I transplanted from the peat pots to 5gal smarties with a roughly 60/40 coco/perlite mix. On reading this thread the perlite seems like a waste of time, but it's too late now. Roots started to penetrate the peat pots, they're supposed to as you're meant to plant the pot-and-all but I thought that might slow growth so I removed the pots.. in hindsight I won't use the peat pots again, solo cups seem tried and true.
  • I charged my coco with water + calimagic, I think I added 25ml of calimagic to 20L of water and poured that through my coco until it ran off. Left in the tent to dry off overnight before transplanting. More research seems to suggest I should've taken longer on this charging process and used nutes, but it's too late now.
  • They've been in the 5gals for ~36hrs now, browning and yellowing seem to have stopped spreading which is good. I started watering with 500ml of mixed nutes (using GH Flora range, mixed as per week 2 of the GWE nute schedule) split between the three pots and waited for runoff.. no runoff so watered another 500ml split between the three pots, still no runoff so did it again, still no runoff. I'll increase this watering amount each time until I get runoff then dial it back so there isn't any.
  • I had my light (315W adjustawings LEC) on 16/8 instead of 18/6 o_O Fixed that as of yesterday.
  • Didn't measure plants until yesterday, will do so every couple of days now. Yesterday's measurements were 130mm, 110mm, and 75mm (#3 took a long time to push off its seed husk and start kicking). Plants were 1.5" (~35mm) or less on 27/5 (19 days ago). Measurements are super rough.
I have a pH pen but not an EC pen so I'm currently working from the nute schedule on GWE, week 2 is 0.5/0.5/0.125/1tsp micro/gro/bloom/calimagic per gallon or 6.5/6.5/1.6/13ml per 10 litres. I have no idea if it is correct but I can't measure EC/PPM right now so it's all I have to go on. When my EC pen arrives I'll be able to measure that way and hopefully get things a little more dialled (including knowing what my tap water is like).

At this stage I have no plans to add supplements although I ordered a 2-dose pack of myco fungus and will get a little molasses to help that, the other stuff is a bit too expensive for me to invest in for this first attempt so that will have to do.

I plan to use the 'manifolding' method as shown on GWE to create 8 colas per plant, I've done a similar style of topping with outdoor basil plants and it works well there so of all the training methods that is one I have a little experience with so feel most comfortable with.

I'd really appreciate it if I could get answers to a couple of questions:
  • If I have two 'doses' of myco-etcetera fungus (this one) when would be a good time to introduce them, and how often should I feed it with a little molasses? Just add a tablespoon or so to each 20L mix of nutes or should it be a little more scientific than that?
  • Manifolding will add a couple of weeks to veg I assume, should I just continue the 2nd transplant nute schedule until flower or might it need a little tweaking due to the added stress of the topping?
That's it for now, I'll almost definitely think of a bunch of other questions soon but for now those two are the ones that are rattling around in my head.

If anything else jumps out at you from the things I've said here please feel free to comment :) Sorry for the long post!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom