How to grow thicker buds?

CharlieWaffles

Good morning :420:

I’m on my fourth or fifth possibly sixth grow now. Getting better at it every time and learning so much from this forum! Thank you to all who step up and help each other, it’s refreshing. My question is this; I’m getting better at growing, learning lots about low stress training which I’m also getting better at, and I can get lots of colas on my flowers now but it doesn’t seem like they fill out how I would like them too. Don’t get me wrong some of these buds are quite significantly large but I feel like they should fill out and be even denser and thicker than they are. Is it the strains that I’m growing? Is it because they are autos? I’ll see what happens on my next photo that’s started now but I just want some more bulk! lol. I’m growing in soil with perlite added along with worm castings, advanced nutrients micro, grow and bloom and KoolBloom by General Hydroponics. PH is always 6.1-6.3. Ppm during mid to late plant life is 1200-1500 ppm. The pics are of my Bruce Banner auto on day 92 of 84. I think she’s almost done but she didn’t bulk up like I had hoped.
As always I welcome all help, suggestions and opinions : )

@Krissi1982
@InTheShed
@Tokin Roll
@Bill284

36DA008C-3E3B-4C3A-8013-54792AB683A3.jpeg

3C410192-4B32-4B1D-8DAF-47E275BAD648.jpeg

3EF44BDD-609C-4AF4-827A-DC3BFB159700.jpeg

That's an easy question to ask, but not so easy to answer, because there are so many factor that can effect bud size.

First would be a prefect textbook kind of grow. That provide zero stress on the pant and no nutrient issues.

I will let others chime in on this one.

The pics are of my Bruce Banner auto on day 92 of 84
IMO she looks great.

What kind of yield are you expecting?

10 days over?

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

I’m on my fourth or fifth possibly sixth grow now. Getting better at it every time and learning so much from this forum! Thank you to all who step up and help each other, it’s refreshing. My question is this; I’m getting better at growing, learning lots about low stress training which I’m also getting better at, and I can get lots of colas on my flowers now but it doesn’t seem like they fill out how I would like them too. Don’t get me wrong some of these buds are quite significantly large but I feel like they should fill out and be even denser and thicker than they are. Is it the strains that I’m growing? Is it because they are autos? I’ll see what happens on my next photo that’s started now but I just want some more bulk! lol. I’m growing in soil with perlite added along with worm castings, advanced nutrients micro, grow and bloom and KoolBloom by General Hydroponics. PH is always 6.1-6.3. Ppm during mid to late plant life is 1200-1500 ppm. The pics are of my Bruce Banner auto on day 92 of 84. I think she’s almost done but she didn’t bulk up like I had hoped.

@Krissi1982
@InTheShed
@Tokin Roll
@Bill284

Hey Charlie she looks great.
Do you cut out nitrogen in last couple weeks of flower?
Genetics/environment/nutrition are the major factors in producing quality bud.
Took me years to get the Genetics I liked.
While looking I perfected my environment and nutrition.
Was probably 3 years before I had a harvest I was truly happy with.
Keep perfecting your craft and log everything you do.
Your doing well my friend Keep it up.
Stay safe.
Bill

That's an easy question to ask, but not so easy to answer, because there are so many factor that can effect bud size.

First would be a prefect textbook kind of grow. That provide zero stress on the pant and no nutrient issues.

I will let others chime in on this one.

IMO she looks great.

What kind of yield are you expecting?

10 days over?

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Thanks Tok. I think she looks great too but I just feel like the buds are kind of skinny. I’m probably just being too impatient, I am still learning. Just feels like I’m a step away from maximizing my yields. Thanks!!

Hey Charlie she looks great.
Do you cut out nitrogen in last couple weeks of flower?
Genetics/environment/nutrition are the major factors in producing quality bud.
Took me years to get the Genetics I liked.
While looking I perfected my environment and nutrition.
Was probably 3 years before I had a harvest I was truly happy with.
Keep perfecting your craft and log everything you do.
Your doing well my friend Keep it up.
Stay safe.
Bill
Hey bill
I do not cut out nitrogen in the last couple weeks. Not as a rule anyway. I do try to only give water the last week to 10 days. I will definitely give it a shot on my next flower when she’s near finished!
3 years lol !! Maybe I’m trying to rush it lol. Guess I need to look back at my first couple grows that were total disasters and appreciate where I’m at now. But I just want thicker buds. I guess we all do though :ganjamon:

Hey bill
I do not cut out nitrogen in the last couple weeks. Not as a rule anyway. I do try to only give water the last week to 10 days. I will definitely give it a shot on my next flower when she’s near finished!
3 years lol !! Maybe I’m trying to rush it lol. Guess I need to look back at my first couple grows that were total disasters and appreciate where I’m at now. But I just want thicker buds. I guess we all do though :ganjamon:
I drop nitrogen slowly in flower but I feed right up to the day I turn lights out for 24hrs pre harvest.
She is pretty dark green, usually indicates a large amount of nitrogen in flower.
I don't find it beneficial to starve them before harvest.
Just my procedure lots of different ways to do it.
Stay safe.
Bill

@Krissi1982
@InTheShed
@Tokin Roll
@Bill284

Hey @Buds Buddy, they look great, like you I'm still learning the ropes, this year was my first with low stress training as well. When I started I knew the colas would be smaller as the energy output was going to be split between the colas. I made an effort to limit the colas to 8 this year, and tried to make sure the were trained as evenly apart as I could get them, so they each had as much access to the resources available. They didn't turn out bad, but I'll be watching here for other replies as well.

As @Bill284 said, just keep learning and adjusting your "style" of growing. I have come to learn, everyone has advice, and it's always great to see the variety of ideas, in the end, you need to get to know your girls and your environment. The more you control and understand what you do and how it affects your grow, the better your crop will become.

Remember hindsight is nice, but you made decisions and choices this season with the information you had. You received ideas and guidance as you went, Now use it to plan for next season.

I think I'm a little past learning the ropes after 4 years of growing. Do I know everything... Not a chance. @InTheShed or @Emilya could shed better light on the subject of Back Building. I only did it once on a few colas. They did get fatter than the others.
I don't have to worry much about environment these days. My humidity & exhaust are controlled by a Saturn 4 & I run a portable AC & Humidifier or Dehumidifier (depends on if Veg or Flower) inside my tent. It's pretty much automated.
That being said, I'm no master grower .... but far from a beginner.
If someone doesn't have at least 4-5 grows I can check out.... I wont take their advice either.

Personally have always chalked it up to light intensity.

What I could grow with 1000 watts could never be replicated with a 600 nor could a double down using 2000 on the exact same deal.

As Tim Allen would say, more power .
I agree, it was what I could afford to buy at the time. I need to get some Journals done, so maybe I can get a sponsor to send me a better light LOL.

Hi Charlie! Want you to know i didn't forget about you! Been busy in the homestead today! Lights lights lights more lights and stress towards the end...adding drought periods, extra dark time-10/14 schedule, the manner in which you prune and direct your plants energies. All of the aforementioned will help with yields...of course nutes and PH levels have effects also. My biggest helper has been the things I mentioned here. Finding the perfect mix and then adding the extra light will boom your crops. However, I think your bud looks nice and dense. Remember all strains are different sativas yield a longer fluffier bud, indicas are more compact! Looks great and thanks for the tag!

I drop nitrogen slowly in flower but I feed right up to the day I turn lights out for 24hrs pre harvest.
She is pretty dark green, usually indicates a large amount of nitrogen in flower.
I don't find it beneficial to starve them before harvest.
Just my procedure lots of different ways to do it.
Stay safe.
Bill
Sweet thanks bill. I’ll try and remember to try this on one of my next girls.

Hi Charlie! Want you to know i didn't forget about you! Been busy in the homestead today! Lights lights lights more lights and stress towards the end...adding drought periods, extra dark time-10/14 schedule, the manner in which you prune and direct your plants energies. All of the aforementioned will help with yields...of course nutes and PH levels have effects also. My biggest helper has been the things I mentioned here. Finding the perfect mix and then adding the extra light will boom your crops. However, I think your bud looks nice and dense. Remember all strains are different sativas yield a longer fluffier bud, indicas are more compact! Looks great and thanks for the tag!
Ha never crossed my mind! You always respond.

Even that bit of info you just passed along has me intrigued, as does all the info everyone’s put up so far! Awesome. I’m intrigued especially by your drought and extra dark time theory/practice. I’m running 4 photos next, all will be sprouted at different times according to when my Autos finished. Might ask some more about this later on : )

Ha never crossed my mind! You always respond.

Even that bit of info you just passed along has me intrigued, as does all the info everyone’s put up so far! Awesome. I’m intrigued especially by your drought and extra dark time theory/practice. I’m running 4 photos next, all will be sprouted at different times according to when my Autos finished. Might ask some more about this later on : )
Anytime! You know I'm always here lol

Back
Top Bottom