How to hardwire computer power supply?

stackz

in the light of my prayers, my neighbor threw out 3 computers. I stripped them of all the power supplies and hard fans so I could come up with a cheap fan system for my grow room. what are the two wires on the main harness that turn a standard computer power supply together to cut it on? and also the 3rd wire to use to turn it off. I'm wanting to take whichever is the quietest of the power supplies and use that for my grow room ventilation using the fans I harvest and whichever to the supplies and then test/keep the other power supplies as long term backups.

anyone know anything about using computer power supplies in general as sources of cheap cooling??

DSCN2764.JPG

Re: how to hardwire computer power supply???

They are the red and black leads on the wires with the male plugs. There should be 4 of those plugs on each one at least.

are you talking about the 4wire connectors with the two yellow wires and the red and black wires???

if so that's not what I'm worried about. I need to find the two wires on the harness to the motherboard that act as the two connectors from the front panel switch...which is done through the m/b to the power supply to turn it on.

If you have a volt meter, thats the best way. Those are 3, 5, 12 volt and grounds. You can use a 12 volt adapter plugged into the wall to power those, rather then a 250- 400 watt power supply :) You have to bridge the connections, and use the power switch on the back of the units. If you don't have a motherboard book, finding the bridge wires may be difficult. Mine are all packed.

I'm with Boss. For less then $20US you can go down and get a power adapter that'll run 12V. You dont need that computer power supply.
I think it would also be a hazard in a grow room???
If you're REALLY wanting to do this, let me know and I'll slap a diagram togetrher for you.
Maybe PM me as a reminder.
AGAIN, the power adapter is a better idea. Less power used and MUCH SAFER.

EVERYONE.... The last thing I want to hear about on the news is someone starting a fire or frying themself in a GROW ROOM. REMEMBER.... You're working with HIGH VOLTAGE in a wet enviorment. Raise everything off the floor and make sure it's all grounded. BASEMENT GROWER.... Always put everything higher then your plugs. If you've ever had or have a flood then you'll know why.

I got it figured out. Its pin 14 on the main harness. you just ground it to any black wire on the main harness and voila, it's running. I've got 3 3" fans and 2 4" fans I'm going to run with this and its all super quiet mmm yes. the 3 3" fans will be for air intake and circulation and the 2 4" fans are going to be run on top of each other as a single super exhaust. The plant is looking GOOD right now. It has gone crazy with growth since I moved it to the garage. temps are average 90 degrees in the grow room and it is nice and watered with around 460w on the cfl's. damn thing was standing straight up in two days and has doubled it's leaves, I'm very happy with it's progress right now. once I get my holes cut and get all the fans installed I'll go ahead and fix the front door lock so I can lock it shut so prying eyes cant see it. I'm just hoping its a female so I can clone it and induce one to give male flowers so I can get some seeds lol.

I'm with Boss. For less then $20US you can go down and get a power adapter that'll run 12V. You dont need that computer power supply.
I think it would also be a hazard in a grow room???
If you're REALLY wanting to do this, let me know and I'll slap a diagram togetrher for you.
Maybe PM me as a reminder.
AGAIN, the power adapter is a better idea. Less power used and MUCH SAFER.

EVERYONE.... The last thing I want to hear about on the news is someone starting a fire or frying themself in a GROW ROOM. REMEMBER.... You're working with HIGH VOLTAGE in a wet enviorment. Raise everything off the floor and make sure it's all grounded. BASEMENT GROWER.... Always put everything higher then your plugs. If you've ever had or have a flood then you'll know why.

the power supply will be located outside of the grow room underneath the cooler unit where the cooling coils and compressor are. I'm just going to run longer wires from the outside to the inside using the same precut power feed hole I already have. I want as little extra heat as possible inside the grow room aside from the lights. And now that I have the power supply figured out I can run as many 4" pc fans as I want and my fiance's sister's fiance has an abundance of free fans for me to use :D

at this point the only other thing I need to do is add a temperature switch to the power supply so I can have the fans all turn on/off at certain temps to keep the temp right inside the grow room and I've been scoping out an attic temp control box at home depot for that duty :D

just get yourself a good 12V cell phone charger, go to a store and ask for a broken wall charger, more ofton than not they will just give them to you..... i always do.....
(the wires will still work its the connections that go bad)
cut the connection off and whala

max per plug is 2 fans for intake and 1-1 for outtake

no heat to deal with, simple connection, alot less risk of fan failure.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom