How to make CBD + THC oil?

Thread starter #1
Hi,

After ruining most of my weed after burning it I have managed to dry my last plant and now have 3oz (90g) of dried, ground and decarboxylated bud. I want to make an oil based ticture something similar to the CBD oils you can buy online but much stronger and with THC in it too and without using solvents. (today I hear you can buy CBD oils from Holland & Barrett)

I've read about making cannabutter, Rick Simpson Oil and other edibles and my weed is now decarbed so has anyone got any views on how to proceed from here?

Many thanks

Cmoon

My 2c worth? If you have decarbed weed.....

Butter is easy and effective. Best done with a slow cooker. I have had good results with chopped up (not powdered) weed, 6 hours in the slow cooker method.

Make brownies with it. :)

Have also had good results lately with alcohol extraction. I reckon the tincture produced is great. A bit under the tongue, or some in a coffee works well for me.

Thread starter #3
Cheers for that. I do have some everclear 190 proof so I might go down this route as it does seem to be an excellent method for making tinctures. My only reason for not using butter is that I have 'Hyperlipidaemia' or raised cholesterol levels, and I mean Raised! I believe the American system aims to keep cholesterol figures below 200mg/dL and that 240mg/dL is considered high. My body makes it's own cholesterol, unlike most where the pipids come from foods we eat and my choesterol was over 1,200mg/dL. Yup over one thousand two hundred mg/dL.

So that's why I don't eat butter no more!

With respect..............Always,

Cmoon

That light at the end of the tunnel?...........It's a train!

Thread starter #4
My 2c worth? If you have decarbed weed.....

Butter is easy and effective. Best done with a slow cooker. I have had good results with chopped up (not powdered) weed, 6 hours in the slow cooker method.

Make brownies with it. :)

Have also had good results lately with alcohol extraction. I reckon the tincture produced is great. A bit under the tongue, or some in a coffee works well for me.
How do you safely boil off the everclear?

"How do you safely boil off the everclear?"

Carefully, outside, in a well ventilated area, NO NAKED FLAMES!!

I use an electric hotplate, and a couple of pyrex beakers ( jar and saucepan will do though ) in a "double boiler" setup.

Saucepan on the hotplate, water in saucepan, jar of nice green alcohol in the water. Make sure the jar cant tip over as the alcohol evaporates.

Heat that would normally boil the water gets transferred into the alcohol and it evaporates. Temp should not go much over 80 degrees C until the level of the alcohol drops a lot and then the water will start to boil off. Monitor it though.

Below is the procedure i used on my most recent attempt:

Current run:12/02/18
Total 66g. 16g buds, rest is a mix of older buds and leaf (50g)
Decarbed 120 degrees / 1hour
Chopped and into Ethanol 8/02/18. 2 bottles 33g / 300ml ethanol.
In fridge @ 4 degrees in dark. Shake often as poss.
Pour off ethanol. Filtered through Whatman #1
Do second 4hr extractionrun on same material.
Pour off ethanol. Filtered through Whatman #1
Wound up with about 1l of green ethanol in a 2l pyrex beaker.
Set up hotplate in the fume hood with a 4l pyrex beaker with water in it.
Place 1l beaker inside this in the water and run hotplate on max.
Evaped off the ethanol to about 100ml in 2.5 hrs.
Dispense to 6 x 25ml dropper bottles.

Wash glassware with 60ml clean ethanol
And divide equally between the 6 dropper bottles.

Anyhow, that's what i do. 1/2 a dropper of the above and i am a happy person who should not drive for some 3 hours or so....at least. :)

Lots of different methods out there, but provided you keep the health and safety aspects of evaporating a solvent in mind (and its pretty much common sense) this one is easy.

I have looked into other solvents. Keep coming back to alcohol as its extraction efficiency is ok, and does not have residual nasties left over when evaporated down to concentrate, and is much safer than chloroform or pet ether. Just ensure you alcohol has minimal containment levels of things like benzene, methanol, toluene...

If you are using everclear (not available here) i reckon you'll be ok as i believe that is food grade.

Have fun!

Thread starter #6
Hiya Philthegreek......Antipodes huh, I like that, hehe,

I think that is my main problem, my kind of mental block that I will end up with a load of residual nasties as you say. I here of people using 'lab grade' isopropyl alcohol and I wonder about the crap left behind. (just what does 'lab grade' mean exactly?).

Appreciate your input mate, thanks.

Respect as Always

Cmoon

alltatup

Hi all:

You don't need to use heat to get rid of the everclear if you just want "goo": I decarb my bud in my Ardent Nova, then cover it in Everclear 190 proof and store in freezer until I feel like straining it. Sometimes I leave all the bud in there and just pull droppers of tincture from the big jar.

After I strained one of the tinctures I made, I decided to make goo, so I put the tincture in a baking pan, covered with cheesecloth (to keep dust out), put the fan blowing over it in a cold bathroom with the window open so fumes could escape.

It evaporated very quickly and I was left with goo that I can just put under my tongue and get a very nice buzz from, not to mention the CBD in it.

My goal is to make all medicines with the absolute least amount of heat so as to preserve all the good terpenes. Plus I don't want to set my kitchen on fire...