How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Forgive me for misdirecting you. :hug: I'll find a better spot for it or start a thread on tinctures. I'm not sure what we have already available, but if there's not an existing one it'll fit into the new thread'll be up and I'll move it myself.

It's an important conversation, and it does pertain to oils, just not this particular approach. No harm done. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Thanx, SweetSue. You are an impeccably tactful mediator.

yes back on topic--> cold evaporator well extract the cco from the tincture and retain a lot more of the lighter fractions,, you may lose some true but there would certainly be lots more in there then a hot extraction, and that is double edged cause bigger yield of anything that is not THC will decrease the THC level in the extract. so the question is---> will this process improve the medicinal qualities of the entourage effect??? Whole plant extract....

yes back on topic--> cold evaporator well extract the cco from the tincture and retain a lot more of the lighter fractions,, you may lose some true but there would certainly be lots more in there then a hot extraction, and that is double edged cause bigger yield of anything that is not THC will decrease the THC level in the extract. so the question is---> will this process improve the medicinal qualities of the entourage effect??? Whole plant extract....

Thanx, Radic, for getting us back on track. I guess any further references to tincture should be footnoted with a disclaimer that this is simply one of several vehicles by which to obtain cco to keep us within the parameters of everyone's interest!:thanks:

greetnz
Sorry but this may wander a bit of topic but what we are workshopping here is how to include the lighter fractions of monoterpene's into cco to make a broader profile and possibly increase the medicinal quality of the entourage effect. i am very interested in this outcome..
This is how industry captures the lighter fractions. mostly monoterpene's.
The traditional methods of terpene extraction is steam distilling and hydrodistillation. Steam distilling involves suspending a basket of herb above a vessel of boiling water. The steam passes through the perforated basket and penetrates the plant material. Only lighter oils such as monoterpene's are soluble in the steam. As the terpene-entrained steam passes out of the top of the distiller it comes in contact with a cooled condenser which liquefies the water and oils. The lighter oils float on the surface of the water and are easily collected. This is how you make cannabis perfume, there is no THC in it...

There is usually a water soluble fraction of oil that stays dissolved and gives the water a milky look. This is called hydrosol and is generally the type of herbal extract used in shampoos and cosmetics when an herb is listed on the ingredients. cannabis hydrosol would be a by-product
Hydrodistillation is similar to steam distilling except that the herb is placed directly in the boiling water.

The main downside to these methods is the extreme heat involved. Boiling water is accomplished at 100C (212F). Many plant compounds are altered or destroyed at these temperatures. This means the harvested essential oil may not smell quite the same as the flower it came from, or the medicinal quality of the oil is compromised which is the case with Oregano oil, for example. The way round the heat issue is to produce steam under vacuum till you achieve 50C (106F.) even then you wont capture all the available monoterpenes.

Supercritical CO2 extraction is a high-tech method of extraction which is becoming increasingly popular due to the fact that it leaves no solvent residues in the finished extract. The method is tuneable meaning different temperatures and pressures yield different results. CO2 Extraction also allows for the possibility of fractionating whereby extracts of different molecular weights will drop out at different times or into different separation chambers. Supercritical extracts will capture and separate all the lighter fractions. This is the way the pro's do it. i got it on my wish list...

all these methods have the same drawback,,,they all work very well but then you gota mix it back with the cco. thats no drama. but there is no solid data as to what the mix should be ..
imho... supercritical Ethanol rulez
using CO2 fan forced to recover the ethanol and deliver whole plant extract with the lighter fractions in tact.
thanx for shearing Bucudinkydow your a genius i gotta try this. i dont know if this will work without lotsa tweaking and in the end. your capture chamber will prob rule...

Radic
Hash Oil Rulez

Thanx, Radic. I do wish I had access to lab tests. I feel good with my results but have no way of adding credence to my claims. While I appreciate shared experiences, I'm dudious about anecdotal testimony and with "alternative facts" rampant on the net I'd expect others to only trust substantiated evidence or results of their own experience. I've offered to A$$I$T someone on another site who has access to labs but it failed to launch. Canyon, on the terpene thread, has voiced some interest. I may try to contact him off site but they've got their hands full trying to sort out a barrage of tests they've run already.

I wanted to chime in on your thorough explanation of distillation but you left nothing out. I based my process on a couple of the basic premises of vacuum distillation. Looking forward to further testing.

Thanx again for your encouragement.

DISCLAIMER:
References to tincture production as mentioned in this post is simply a means to the end process of creating cco!

Sorry if I may have over reacted to what I thought was a drift in conversation, but rereading it I see that it relates to CCO. My bad.

Thanks for clarifying the point of your posts. I seem to get confused easily in recent days.
:Namaste:

After effects of chemo? :hug: Increase CBD. That was an instinctive directive, and I have no idea where it came from, but it insisted I post it. :laughtwo: Honestly, I tried to hold it back, but it would have nothing of my restraint. :laughtwo:

I agree, after reading through them again. They pertain enough to CCO to stay here.

After effects of chemo? :hug: Increase CBD. That was an instinctive directive, and I have no idea where it came from, but it insisted I post it. :laughtwo: Honestly, I tried to hold it back, but it would have nothing of my restraint. :laughtwo:

I agree, after reading through them again. They pertain enough to CCO to stay here.

No, can't blame this on chemo (well not all of it, I've healed a lot but not completely). This is mainly fatigue from work going crazy and family schedule keeping me way busier than I've been able to handle in last 3 years (yes, back to just before chemo.) Nice to be able to do that again, but I could use a break soon. :)

No, can't blame this on chemo (well not all of it, I've healed a lot but not completely). This is mainly fatigue from work going crazy and family schedule keeping me way busier than I've been able to handle in last 3 years (yes, back to just before chemo.) Nice to be able to do that again, but I could use a break soon. :)

A break = self care.

Your family needs you healthy.

You are a human being not a human doing.

yada yada yada

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the long delay since my last message, here a few posts/pages earlier, saying essentially that I’d report back about my sister’s condition…

After only one week under the 6 drops of Pakistan Valley (7g of flowers infused in 50ml olive oil), and 4 drops of Medical Buddha (7g of flowers infused in 50ml olive oil) regimen taken every 2 hours, she decided to stop the whole experiment.

The main reason behind her decision is that, before even enjoying any kind of relief in this short week of trial (which I am aware may be too short a period of time to get any benefits from the cannabis plant, especially against severe spinal cord injury induced pain), cannabis impacted her very negatively, as it badly deepened her depression.

With her already very diminished health condition, she is the one who decides what is good for her…

I am not sure at all about what follows, but I decided THC may be the culprit that drove her depression worse.

So, despite the risks (I may be too foolish or dumb stupid), I decided to take the chance to send a Thunderstruck sample across country borders to have it lab tested (HPLC) and know for sure what was its exact CBD content, before processing it in olive oil, as I did with the 2 other strains.

Well, I have mixed feelings about the results Thunderstruck yielded. In the one hand I am happy not to have “sold” it to my sister as the breeder advertises it (1-2% THC / 16-22%CBD), and on the other hand, I am very disappointed for my Thunderstruck plant has a maximum CBD amount of 3.12% and a max THC amount of 22.53%.

Then I have my CBD Therapy that I made a batch of olive oil infused with (7g of flowers in 50ml olive oil) and tested it on myself by taking 10 drops. The least I can say is that I did not appreciate how it affected me. It increased my heart rates and induced feelings and thoughts that were not pleasant at all. It did not make me sick, I could still function almost normally, though I could not focus my attention on anything too complex… The only wish I had at that moment was, I wish it could stop.

All these developments made me wonder a lot about whether I was on the right track with cannabis. One thing is certain though, it shacked my beliefs in breeders work and their real intent when marketing so called high CBD strains (with only negligible amounts of THC), and in cannabis as a whole as a source of cure or even relief.

Sorry the depressing picture I've just painted, but this is what my experience with the cannabis plant led me to find out. I wish I could have better outcomes.

Thank for your help anyway.

Best wishes to all of you.

Baya those recipes are very strong. Suggest you try just 1 drop. If that's still too much, add more olive oil to reduce the strength.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the long delay since my last message, here a few posts/pages earlier, saying essentially that I’d report back about my sister’s condition…

After only one week under the 6 drops of Pakistan Valley (7g of flowers infused in 50ml olive oil), and 4 drops of Medical Buddha (7g of flowers infused in 50ml olive oil) regimen taken every 2 hours, she decided to stop the whole experiment.

The main reason behind her decision is that, before even enjoying any kind of relief in this short week of trial (which I am aware may be too short a period of time to get any benefits from the cannabis plant, especially against severe spinal cord injury induced pain), cannabis impacted her very negatively, as it badly deepened her depression.

With her already very diminished health condition, she is the one who decides what is good for her…

I am not sure at all about what follows, but I decided THC may be the culprit that drove her depression worse.

So, despite the risks (I may be too foolish or dumb stupid), I decided to take the chance to send a Thunderstruck sample across country borders to have it lab tested (HPLC) and know for sure what was its exact CBD content, before processing it in olive oil, as I did with the 2 other strains.

Well, I have mixed feelings about the results Thunderstruck yielded. In the one hand I am happy not to have “sold” it to my sister as the breeder advertises it (1-2% THC / 16-22%CBD), and on the other hand, I am very disappointed for my Thunderstruck plant has a maximum CBD amount of 3.12% and a max THC amount of 22.53%.

Then I have my CBD Therapy that I made a batch of olive oil infused with (7g of flowers in 50ml olive oil) and tested it on myself by taking 10 drops. The least I can say is that I did not appreciate how it affected me. It increased my heart rates and induced feelings and thoughts that were not pleasant at all. It did not make me sick, I could still function almost normally, though I could not focus my attention on anything too complex… The only wish I had at that moment was, I wish it could stop.

All these developments made me wonder a lot about whether I was on the right track with cannabis. One thing is certain though, it shacked my beliefs in breeders work and their real intent when marketing so called high CBD strains (with only negligible amounts of THC), and in cannabis as a whole as a source of cure or even relief.

Sorry the depressing picture I've just painted, but this is what my experience with the cannabis plant led me to find out. I wish I could have better outcomes.

Thank for your help anyway.

Best wishes to all of you.

Welcome Baya. :hug: I wouldn't question your methods so soon. Still get quote wrong...
Sue baya has been here. Before... I don't like that so many know they need mMj medicine of some kind. Starting green with who knows what weed/ no proper thermal / no instruments/ and your gonna decarb/extract/re dose/ package/.......
No way. Not in one big huge ass step...

Maybe. New seekers should just purchase an edible / purchase Cbd capsules/ and procure actual weed and S L OWLY work up to /
Hydroxyl group removal/double boilers. 'Marie Bain' cook pot' fondue' etc/ or QwEt wash to dragon tincture .

'''im thinking bottles of tincture for pain patients/dosed in warm beverages/ or
'Tubes CCO/rso /to,be reconstituted for the 'patient' .. '

Sue so,many cases/ all similar, yet each with unique twist.
Baya and his sick wife have 100 clean bodies/ no North American 'poison' in their viens ..yet. So mainline CCO /any kind/ gonna be unsettling for adult/ a whacky tennager with rock n roll //gonna do it till he gets it right/imho...
Sue you and I and many can eat drink smoke it and discern effects. Newbie first time//omg// ..relax and turn in Led Zeppelin right??lol..

And sue the decarbolize we'd data/ charts too much bad information..
and you need to decarb for your exact extract process in mind, and then the secondary cooking 9time temp 0 process also,should be considered. Like don't bake anything with 'thc' at 350 f. It be gone in an instant.....oh my so much...

There ?
really?

What this tells me is she needs more THC. Might I make a suggestion? The Medical Buddha is an excellent starting point. She already said she felt no relief, but like Oldbear I'd like a clarification on what expectations were. A few different oils in a couple weeks sounds like none were given much chance. Much of the discomfort she lives with is caused by inflammation, and it can take time for CBD to get that work under control in a seriously imbalanced system. Many times you won't feel what CBD is doing until you stop taking it.

I'd try a 75/25 mix of the Medical Buddha and the Pakastan Valley and see what that does for her. Give the oil a week before increasing the amount of Pakistan Valley. My sense is that somewhere in there is her sweet spot for pain relief, as well as many of the other symptoms. I like to start with a 2:1 mix of CBD to THC and then toggle both up to increase THC as needed, but trying to keep them close to the same balance.
The end baya keep trying

This post contains data.
Decarbolize your leafy weed prior to extraction by any method with this data in mind.

What this chart teaches is the following;

Above 230 F, you are turning thcA into,thc at maximum rate. You are also turning thc ( not destroying it but transforming it) into cBN..the proported ‘narcotic cannabinol. At any temperature above 231, statistically , you are boiling off useful thc !. During decarb of weed/leafy/ you are drying the leaf as you heat the leaf to break the thc A bond, into THC and a free co2 . So water leaves carbon dioxide is a gas and is gone. You cansmell heated decarbed weed. If it get too hot.. you can smell it too. Set your oven to 250 f place weed inside/ destroys weed in first light of the burners. ..

The slowest decarb of leafy weed/ would be 200 F for 8 hours . I don’t like that at all.. so 225-230/ instrumented
A462D2EA-BE4D-46E7-B9D2-99AE11B1B2D8.jpeg
A462D2EA-BE4D-46E7-B9D2-99AE11B1B2D8.jpeg
/ 42 minutes (if you have other cooking steps) ( 90 minutes maximum ...if you are brave..I am it brave. I,use 42. Minutes ( once at temperature so itakes 100 minutes) at 230 F..

Enjoy chart.....for leafy weed decarb.prior to extraction..

Sue into coco oil...slowest might be 200 f for 8 hours.
Below 200 f/ can’t drive off...water h20..212 f is best sue. 6 hours in oil....

Cooh bond breaking is only about drying out /100 C/ and heat to ‘activate’ ie thermally break apart and shatter ‘’ cooh bond. Converting thcA into thc /CBn....

There still one factor not accounted and not asked..perhaps.

After thc is ‘decarbed’ ‘properly’.....how long does it take to . Re convert/ re carbonized//or just degenerate?

Is it seconds/minutes/dAys ? 6 months in a ‘bovida ‘..lol no no water.? Or once converted ..it good ......forever? No way sue it not forever.

Hi Marc.
As far as I know once decarbed to THC it doesn't go back to THCa. It does start to degrade into CBN slowly. I have a batch of oil that's close to 1 year old that's starting to feel like it has a few % of CBN. That was stored at about 60 F. In refrigerator it would degrade slower. My oil is slightly weaker in THC but main issue is that it gives me slight hangover. Not pleasant but not a health risk.

Baya, I'm sorry you're having so much frustration with your attempts. Cannabinoid therapies are very much trial and error.

IMO, the problem wasn't the cannabinoid ratio, it was the terpene mix. Terpene profiles that are typically found in indica chemovars will adversely effect depression in a majority of cases. It's one of the basic rules to use sativa terpene profiles for depression and indica profiles for anxiety. Mix that up and you create a potential firestorm. My daughter reacts to sativa terpenes by going into a suicidal internal dialogue. Cannabis keeps her from acting on it, but the urge becomes difficult to resist.

There's so much cross-breeding going on these days that you can't be sure the terpene profiles will be what we've come to expect in sativas or indicas.

We've learned to be very careful about the terpenes we present her with.

Your personal experience is a quintessential overdose. I'll be honest, when I read that I found myself wondering "Ten drops.... what were you thinking?" We don't think of CBD as offering any psychoactivity, but this is a basic misunderstanding of the cannabinoid's effects. What little THC it contained was potentiated by the CBD and the CBD can alert the system in surprising ways. It's not recommended to take CBD too close to bedtime because it'll keep you awake. I can see how an overdose would make the system a bit frantic.

I've overdosed on THC. Not a pleasant experience, but one I knew I'd survive, because this was cannabis, and I was safe.

Follow Oldbear's advice and start with one drop. The accepted policy is to start sub-therapeutically and titrate slowly and thoughtfully.

We know cannabis can be a valuable assist to a compromised ECS, the very system taxed with the responsibility to keep all your other systems running smoothly. It's a trial-and-error approach that can't hurt you. Your sister is free to make her own choices, and we won't stand in judgement of her choice, but it feels like such a shame to pass up a holistic method evolved to complement your own healing force in favor of drugs that give little relief with too many side effects, just because you didn't find the sweet spot right off.

I wish you the best in your search for her relief. :hug::hug::hug:

Hi LabRat,:goodjob:
Newbie to the forums but stumbled upon your polishing methods and am now curious.
What did you mean bygoing forward you'd only winterize? Meaning you wouldn't recommend increasing solvent ph before winterizing? Fascinating methods, and curious on the final outcome!
:Namaste:

Ok so i was wondering will this method i read in the first page wud tht work in my magical butter machine and would i need to run it twice or anything to achive full decarb and more potency if desired?? Or does it not work tht way?

Back
Top Bottom