How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Can I not use the portable induction to evaporate as well as to decarboxylate? Couldn't i jst add the isopropanol extract to a induction pan and wait until all is evaporated before usuing the induction for decarboxylation?

QWISO is boiled off at under 180º F and decarb traditionally is done in the 240º range. Are you planning on decarbing it dry in the pan?
I wasn't planning on decarbing at all I'm going to be using this for vape with wax liquidizer, I was guna decarb a batch tho to see the different results ect, so I was thinking do I need both a induction hob and rice cooker or can I simply evaporate the isopropanol on the induction hob?

I wasn't planning on decarbing at all I'm going to be using this for vape with wax liquidizer, I was guna decarb a batch tho to see the different results ect, so I was thinking do I need both a induction hob and rice cooker or can I simply evaporate the isopropanol on the induction hob?
You asked about decarbing so that's what I replied to! Here is a link on one way to make QWISO. Evaporating the iso on the induction plate should be fine. That's how Grandpa Tokin does his QWET.

You asked about decarbing so that's what I replied to! Here is a link on one way to make QWISO. Evaporating the iso on the induction plate should be fine. That's how Grandpa Tokin does his QWET.
Yeah I didn't explain there too well I will be decarbing as experimental but I'm led to believe it's not needed for vape use and I have no experience what so ever hence my issue lol

I’m about to do my first run as well and plan on using an induction for the evap. It’s a digital nuwave and the heat can be adjusted in increments of 10*. I feel it’s as good if not better than most methods but please someone correct me if I’m off base??

I’ve been reading this thread and several others for a few weeks and I’m so very grateful to all those involved in spreading the love.
I know several people interested in starting on the oil so I’ve volunteered to do the footwork. This site will be a blessing on this endeavor. Truth be told.. I’m somewhat amazed that the powers that be would allow conversations of this magnitude to remain! Guess it’s been a long time coming

so all I need to do is work out basically did I need to rice cooker and the induction hob or can the hob do the evaporation and later I know it can decarb when I'm ready to experiment all abit much to someone who's a let's say not the bright,
I’m about to do my first run as well and plan on using an induction for the evap. It’s a digital nuwave and the heat can be adjusted in increments of 10*. I feel it’s as good if not better than most methods but please someone correct me if I’m off base??

I just recently made a batch of CCO with the induction method, it turned out very well, just be a little finicky when evaporating the last bit of alcohol off. With a rice cooker you can gently shake the cooker with the heat still on to prevent burning of the CCO, just when you lift the pan off of the induction it will stop evaporating . I was making a big batch so i was using both and i always finish my final evaporation in the rice cooker.

I just recently made a batch of CCO with the induction method, it turned out very well, just be a little finicky when evaporating the last bit of alcohol off. With a rice cooker you can gently shake the cooker with the heat still on to prevent burning of the CCO, just when you lift the pan off of the induction it will stop evaporating . I was making a big batch so i was using both and i always finish my final evaporation in the rice cooker.
Ahhh yeah never thought on that way... Good idea then and for the sake of a few pounds be daft not to use to rice cooker... Thanks and tmim glad Ur extract turned out well

I’ve been reading this thread and several others for a few weeks and I’m so very grateful to all those involved in spreading the love.
I know several people interested in starting on the oil so I’ve volunteered to do the footwork. This site will be a blessing on this endeavor. Truth be told.. I’m somewhat amazed that the powers that be would allow conversations of this magnitude to remain! Guess it’s been a long time coming
same here

i would have been lost without this place. im curious about how things went with the digital nuwave? i want to use my instantpot but am worried about it.

HI Motoco.

I posted earlier this week on the dosing thread and have a question about the decarboxylation process.

First, your tutorial is excellent and the time and energy you devote to educate us is most appreciated. Thank you.

In your tutorial, you give 2 options to use after the oil is removed from the rice cooker: (1) hot oil bath and (2) plate warmer. For some reason, I am somewhat uncomfortable with the hot oil bath so I am looking at option 2. As I'm sure you know, the Rick Simpson video tells you to use a coffee warmer although I have seen a recent post on his FB page advising one to put the oil in an oven for about an hour at 110C/230F. There are also more and more posts/forums that suggest that you put the oil in the oven afterwards. Not clear if this is after or in lieu of the coffee warmer...?

I have a couple of questions:

Is decarboxylation absolutely accomplished when the oil stops bubbling?
If you look at this graph -

decarboxylationgraph.jpg

- which shows the temp/time needed to decarboxylate the oil, it appears that very little decarboxylation can occur when the oil is in the rice cooker. It is not in there that long and since the rice cooker can't go above 212F, the decarboxylation that happens in the rice cooker is probably minimal. So, you have to rely on the oil bath/warming plate/coffee warmer. Obviously, we are not in a lab environment and so we can only do so much to monitor and control temps. Here's my question - regardless of method used to heat the oil after the rice cooker, does full decar---ylation occur when all bubbles stop? Is that a fact?

I think my source of confusion here is that RS video says you use the coffee warmer to remove any extra solvent. Nothing is said about decarboxylation. Moreover, while I've used and infrared thermometer to test the surface temperature of the coffee warmer and it got pretty hot (250F and up), there is no way that heat is being transferred to the oil because when i put a cup of water on the coffee warmer, it does not boil...more like a luke warm state. I guess that's good because you don't want to overheat it either but that leaves me in limbo. It seems if left long enough on any heat source, the oil will eventually decarboxylate. But, it also seems that too much heat will cause the degradation of the THC which you don't want. Question is how much heat and how much time?

I guess what I'm really trying to understand is: regardless of the heat source/method used on the oil after the rice cooker, is the key to decarboxylation that the bubbles stop? Am I looking just for the big bubbles only to stop? I've read that this is "max" decarb and then the THC begins to degrade to CBN. Basically, I am really confused about this step of the process and how to make sure the oil is most medicinally potent. Can you expound on this topic.

Thoughts on using an oven to finish oil - 1 hour at 230F
What are your thoughts on simply putting the oil in the oven for 1 hour at 230F immediately after the rice cooker stage? I only ask because for a newbie like me these are very precise and specific instructions that anyone can follow. One doesn't have to worry about all of the bubbles being gone, some of the bubbles being gone, the right bubbles being gone, etc. When you don't know what you're doing (like me) and don't fully understand the science behind it, it is very daunting to try to use your "judgment" especially with everything that's at stake.

Your input and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

If i may ask a question, can you achieve a pre decarb, and/or an after decarb using an instant pot? could it not be used in the degassing or solvent purging processes as well?

If i may ask a question, can you achieve a pre decarb, and/or an after decarb using an instant pot? could it not be used in the degassing or solvent purging processes as well?

Hmm.... I never considered this. The solvents are volatile by nature. Wouldn't that concern you under pressure? To be honest this isn't an area I'm all that familiar with.

Sorry to be so late to this conversation guys. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom