How to re-use Hydroton - Bleach

ZARBU

Hi so you have finished a grow, you want to clean and reuse your hydroton.

Here is the easy way.

Bleach yep bleach.

buy the unscented stuff from the supermarket.

its cheap as, a few dollars for 2 litres.

2 litres of bleach to 4 litres of water = 6 litres.

make as much as you need.

cover and soak the hydroton in this for 4-5 days, the bleach eats everything, roots and all.

after 5 days stir with a stick.

now wash really well with plain water, triple rinse.

spread hydroton out and let dry.

once dry your good to re-use.

cheers

Kiwiiwik.

I've re-used my hydroton 4 times now and never bothered washing or cleaning it. I just dry it after the grow and before the next.

Just my 2 cents, but i think you might be overcomplicating things a bit. It's a plant, not an exotic car. ;)

Yeah I haven't showered or bathed in 3 years either, don't know what all the fuss it about.

They can be washed and sat in RO water for a day until all the salts have leached out.
Reuse the next day if needed.

very true, I use the bleach to break down the roots before the wash, it turns the the roots to a liquid and they just wash away like water, it also dissolves salt build up and at the same time sterilizes the medium.

But if you can get all the fine roots out just by washing with water thats fine too.

All I do is rinse with tap water too. I never bleach anything. I do run z7 water treatment in my DWC buckets and that keeps everything clean and free of any salt build up. I just rinse off Hydroton,bucket and air stone with tap water and they are go to go another round.

I have reused mine for many years with just rinsing with tap water. Works fine.

Back
Top Bottom