How To Reverse Sex Using Silver Thiosulfate Solution

Fantastic post! :thumb: . I did read through about the autos and maybe I missed it but how would I introduce the auto genetic? Let's say I order an auto and I want to introduce that genetic to my purple haze once the auto is of age or would I still need 2 autos?

Great bit of knowledge right here! Thanks go to Smokin Moose.

I've read about a similar approach using colloidal silver instead of silver thiosulfate. A DuckDuckGo or Google search of "colloidal silver royal queen" will give you the article over at Royal Queen Seeds that provides more information on the colloidal silver method. Also reading the same article as other seem to have, think it is the same as @Pennywise is referring to. It is on my todo-list to try when the clones are rooted and I have the space to create some fathers. I'll make sure to keep you guys informed.

--
Anyone reading this and got a few extra minutes, feel free to drop by my introduction to the community, it is a quite intimate tale.... Already the 420community has shown an impressive amount of support. I'm happy as a seed in soil to be a new member of this place. Thanks!
--

Such a great tutorial, and I hope to give this a try someday, but does this not technically hermie the subjected plant, and pass on the hermie trait to the offspring?

Yes, technically it's a forced hermie. However, the trait is not passed on.

I don't think @toker69 is about any more but I found his thread very interesting on using Colloidal Silver to reverse sex.

This intrigues me, how can the seeds differentiate between selfed or stressed pollination? I assume when sprayed with the sts it is a stressed reaction that turns into male flowers to allow the mother plant to fulfill her life cycle?

I am not questioning the method here, I am just generally curious and have to ask why and how to most things.

Silver thiosulfate (STS) is commonly used to block the action of ethylene in plant cell cultures. Ethylene is a hormone that is present in the gaseous state. Ethylene increases during senescence (aging, flower development) and ripening, and has been shown to increase in plant cell cultures due to wounding or the presence of auxins. Silver nitrate may be used alone to block the action of ethylene but it is not transported as well as STS thus is seldom used alone.

Ethylene is a hormone produced by female plants and used to build pistilate flowers. Ionized silver inhibits ethylene production so the plant will produce staminate flowers instead. The are every bit as stable as their male counter parts. Being genetically female the pollen sacs can only produce pollen with female chromosomes. 99.9% of the offspring will be female.

Day 5 of spraying this female with silver colloidal spray,she’s not looking too happy

I was told by another grower to spray first thing in the morning last thing at night before lights go out..for 15 days see what happens

Attachments

• 333733EE-F4AD-43E7-9592-7BA886184456.jpeg
    333733EE-F4AD-43E7-9592-7BA886184456.jpeg
    667.1 KB · Views: 298
Top info thank you guys!!

quick question.
When choosing to STS before or after 12/12.
would you do so before the switch to produce larger quantities of feminised pollen?

After for higher seed production?

Thanks again.

Top info thank you guys!!

quick question.
When choosing to STS before or after 12/12.
would you do so before the switch to produce larger quantities of feminised pollen?

After for higher seed production?

Thanks again.
Spraying STS a week or so before 12/12 insures that the ethylene has been blocked. If your trying to "self" (spraying one branch that will pollinate another branch on the same plant) the flowers on the unsprayed branch tend to reach maturity before the pollen is dropping so fewer seeds are produced. I try to self a plant but also collect the pollen and use it on another plant (or run of the same plant) to maximize seed production. Does that answer your question?

So is this turning female plants male to cross?

It's to cause a "female" (pistillate flowers) plant to produce staminate (aka "male") flowers. It's still what we would call a female; whatever you breed it with (including itself) will produce seeds that grow into "female" plants the vast majority of the time. Assuming there is no natural hermaphrodite trait in a parent's genetics to muddy the waters. If you were actually changing the plant into a "male," the seeds it helped produce would grow into the usual mix of staminate and pistillate plants.

I have read that spraying STS to often or too infrequently can affect results. I get that infrequent spraying would limit the silver uptake but how would more frequent spraying cause problems? If the plant isn't burning why not spray more frequently? Does anyone know the reason for limiting silver?

Back
Top Bottom