How to speak to my doctor about MMJ

blknazn

ok quick breakdown.

I have had these back pains from an old injury around 2003 after a few years a came across cannabis as a pain reliever. ive been using it regularly for the past two years.

fast forward to now

i got in a car crash and have aggravated my back.my doctor mentioned i have minor scoliosis(curvature of the spine), the pain is so much that street cannabis isnt cutting it. and i cant afford it. my doctor subscribed me novo naprox. it been a couple weeks since and i get headaches and upset stomach now, and it only takes the pain away for up to 4 hours.

my question is.. how do i bring forth the subject of medical cannabis for myself?

when i speak to my mother, she says my pain isnt enough to be a patient. also my doctor knows the cannabis works for me. i told him but he laughed and said it wasnt really a medical use. i also have severe depression since i was a kid, my mom doesnt believe me that the herb helps she wants me on pharma drugs. can i have some advice please? thanks in advance:thanks:

Two things:

First, only you know how much pain you have to deal with. Second, your doctor isn't the final say seeking treatment. He/she is there to give their educated recommendation and there are certainly multiple ways to treat ailments.

I'd first recommend educating yourself as much as possible before sitting down with your mother or doctor again. Knowledge is power. Many people still maintain a bias against marijuana because of its "drug" classification. If you remain mature about it I'm sure they'll open up to alternative treatments.

However, depending on where you live and how much you'd potentially need to medicate, medical marijuana can get pricey. Typically the headaches and nausea of new medication should go away within two weeks. If you're still experiencing those side effects I'd encourage you to explore other medications with your doctor. Plus, with a decent health insurance provider prescribed medications will likely be the most cost effective solution.

Just talk to the doc. That's about it.

I was nervous to talk to my doc. Felt like I was doing something wrong. It was the last thing that came out of my mouth but it came out. Now I'm more comfortable each time I go in. I was surprised at how cool my doc was about it. Now I discuss it with ALL my docs so they are all in the loop. You are prolly more uneasy about it than your doctor is to hear it. That's how it was for me.

GL. And it's your body and your decision.

walk in with a joint behind one ear. Or bring into his office a "new plant" that would look great in the corner.

Or just be honest.

Or do all three.

If all else fails.....bring in a dozen donuts. Works like magic.

Believe me.....you are not the first.

Good luck.

doc in the box? whats that? i could look it up but i want your description, since you recommended it, because my doc wont do it and thinks its a joke lol

thanks so far everyone.

Just talk to the doc. That's about it.

I was nervous to talk to my doc. Felt like I was doing something wrong. It was the last thing that came out of my mouth but it came out. Now I'm more comfortable each time I go in. I was surprised at how cool my doc was about it. Now I discuss it with ALL my docs so they are all in the loop. You are prolly more uneasy about it than your doctor is to hear it. That's how it was for me.

GL. And it's your body and your decision.

What she said. When my neuro guy asked me awhile back if I'd come across anything to cut my back spasms and pain,I grinned and said "Yeah but it's not legal." His response was "Is it legal in California?" I said "Yes" and he just laughed.

His only concern was it what it might do in combo with my seizure drugs.

Don't be intimidated by the Doc's age or looks. I'm an old fart,look like a cop,and I can tell you almost everyone under 60 has given the weed a try at least once. I worry more about the younger Doc's that were brainwashed by Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" programs as kids in the 80's.

For an upset stomach,which my seizure meds can cause, I like a 3-4 tokes of the cheapest Mexican weed I can find. Stronger weed can make your head spin and make your stomach worse. For the back pain,any mid-grade Indica dom strain generally does the trick.

Don't smoke yourself out when medicating,IMO. Your tolerance will shoot up in no time going down that path. A gravity bong with small one hit bowl is what I use. Take a couple of hits,wait 5-10 minutes and see how your back feels. If it's good,stop. If not try one or two more hits and the same wait. CDB,the stuff that loosens up your back can take awhile to come on. You'll figure out what works for you in a few weeks.

If you're like me and came up seeing weed as only a way to get high,it can be hard to change old habits,ie; the desire to get blazed. It took me a good year to break that one. Saves you a helluva lot of money once you figure it out.

Good luck. Weed has been a friggin' miracle worker on my back.

thx again. i also enjoy just a small bowl from my grav. i dont like to smoke alot, and get sleepy. i like to be enjoying my day and night. im due for a consultation soon with my doc so i shall have a chat with him or maybe print off some mmar forms

ITA Firestone. I start out smaller and work my way up. It's not uncommon for me to tell the hubby that I'm going to smoke & then come hang out for 10-15 mins, then tell him again again after that 10-15 mins has passed. It helps not only save money and keep my tolerance from skyrocketing, but it also really helps me to see which med/strain works for what. It looks like we have a lot of same issues & smoking practices.

But like he said, just talk to your doc. And if he isn't supportive of your decision or willing to discuss it, find someone who is. And I'm not saying that b/c I love pot (I mean, yeah I do b/c it's saved my life/made it better) but I'm saying that b/c I would give you that advice about any medical decision/topic you were trying to discuss with your doc. Bottom line is that if you aren't getting the attention that you need or aren't able to comfortable discuss your medical concerns and needs, then you need to find someone else that you can do that with.

GL :) I'm curious on any update!

Back
Top Bottom