How to Take Brix Measurements

I've been taking weekly brix readings from my flowering plants for a year now, so I decided to post a DIY for it.

Brix measurements can be tricky. You're measuring the percentage of "dissolved solids" in the sap of the plant, so if you test a crusty old leaf you'll get an artificially high reading. Less moisture=higher percentage of stuff in the fluid. Brix doesn't vary much across the plant, so it's not terribly important where the healthy leaf came from. It's more important to take the same sort of leaf from the same sort of place on every plant every time. I take a typical small 5-bladed leaf from mid-canopy. They're usually fairly plentiful - pretty crowded in there - lots to choose from.

Good brix readings for cannabis are 10-12.
Very good readings are in the 12-14 range.
Excellent readings are 14-16.
Spectacular readings can occasionally top 18.

If your results are especially high, be sure you're taking fair measurements.

Here's what I start with - vicegrips, a couple of thick metal slugs, a refractometer, and a typical healthy 5 bladed leaf.

DSCN5269.JPG

I start by tucking the pertiole against the leaf and rolling/twisting it together.

DSCN52701.JPG

Tuck it again, twist some more ...

DSCN52713.JPG

DSCN52722.JPG

DSCN52731.JPG

DSCN52742.JPG

DSCN52751.JPG

I put the wad between the slugs and squish it carefully around the disks without releasing any juice ...

DSCN52761.JPG

I reroll it, squish it for real and let a drop touch the prism ...

DSCN52782.JPG

DSCN52791.JPG

Flip it closed and take a reading ...

DSCN5280.JPG

Reroll it, clean off the prism, and take another reading.

DSCN52811.JPG

This is from a Carnival Cut I ran. I'll take a 17/17 any day. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Looking to get one, tonight,,, is a beer wort one acceptable.. Like thirty bucks?? Thanks!!:Namaste:

Very nice post graytail!!! I like the use of the vice grips and the slugs from an electrical box.

I wanted to share the video I made a while back which shows how I take my readings... pretty much same as Graytail...

I also created a thread back a few years ago for a place for people to document their readings... I haven't kept up with the thread as much as I wanted to back when I started it, but there still is some very good data there for different users to document and share readings and grow techniques/strains/details of the grow.

Here is the thread:
High Brix Refractometer Results Log & Data Thread - Post Your Brix Levels Here

And here is my video:

Back
Top Bottom