How To take close-up photos

art fog

A common problem I have notice on 420 especially w/ close-ups shots of buds etc. is the fuzzy out-of-focus edges of the subject in photos. These edges are the foreground and background of a photo I speak of. Sometimes it is a good thing but if you are going for the detail of a bud w/ thc you can make adjustments that may help.

If you want more of the image in focus, more detail and less fuzzy edges there is a simple solution. You can adjust the aperture of your camera which will also adjust the 'depth of field' around the subject you are focusing on.

- What is the aperture? That is the part of the lens where the hole gets larger or smaller like the iris of your eyes do when they dilate between light and dark. This diameter of the opening is the entrance for the image into the camera and it can usually be adjusted manually (or if you cannot adjust the aperture you may be able to get a better image by using a tripod and taking a slower speed shot this may fool the camera into reducing the size of the opening). The aperture is inside the lens which opens and closes to different sizes (and speed) This aperture adjustment is usually outside the camera on the sides of your lens known as the f stops or aperture adjustment. Note that w/ some newer cameras this adjustment will be in a menu in the camera. Common f stops are; f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8. f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/16, f/22

The problem is called Depth Of Field or DOF Quite simply w/ out going into a elaborate explanation like "circle of confusion", film plane, and all that math etc.

Higher aperture or f stop # = smaller diameter in aperture or less fuzzy
Larger aperture or f stop # = larger diameter in aperture more fuzzy / blurrier around the edges

<<<<< larger opening as # get smaller
f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8. f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/16, f/22
>>>>>> smaller opening as # increases

I hope I explained this better if not write me and I can elaborate more.

There is a lot of elaboration about how you get depth of field and for the most part unnecessary babble but if you need to know more because of curiosity well.... go here
Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia......

Back
Top Bottom