How to tell the wattage-power of the chips in your LED panel.

Maximo

I've owned three different types of LED panel and all of them had different chips and ratings.
So a bit of investigative work or 'close observation' has led me to the following conclusions.

Item #1: MarsHydro UFO led 100w power consumption is 60 3w LEDs driven at 1.66 watts each.
Item #2: An LED light bulb 23w power consumption is 12 3w LEDs driven at 1.9 watts each.
Item #3: Sunspect900w panel 339w power consumption is 150 3w LEDs driven at 2.2 watts each.

Conclusions:
There are 3 different ratings for 3 watt LED chips depending on their manufacture. To get an idea of which type you have, you need a magnifying glass to look at it closely, and if possible make a visual comparison of the size of the chip or chips. I include a few photos, the first image is a comparision of the LED grow light bulb versus the Sunspect panel. It can be clearly seen that all 3 watt LED chips are not equal. Basically the more surface area the chip or chips have the better their rating and power output can be.

3watt-LED-types_1_9w_versus_2_2w.jpg

The next photos show this is equally true for the various types of real 5 watt LED chips. However Sunspect and other sellers advertise their panels as having 5 watt chips when really they're high power 3 watt chips. This is important to know when chips need replacing, to get the right one, at a reasonable price.

Notice the large chip area in a real 5 watt rated chip
5w_LED_big_chip.jpg

More surface area by having 2 separate chips or more
5w_LED_double_chip.jpg

This one has four 1.25 watt chips, there are also three chip versions.
5w_LED_quad_chip.jpg

I haven't tested the light from 5 watt LEDs, so can't say.

Also I forgot to mention that some LEDs may have an inbuilt zener diode.
It's very small and can barely be seen in the top image on the right hand side.
So, if one LED burns out then the remaining chips should still light up.

Leds been around along time, and i find quality leds have writting on them.

Them ones with Smd chips have stoped being brought in by shops here as alot was getting retunred.

Back
Top Bottom