420 Magazine Background

How to Use LED Lights to Save Energy

anern

On Vacation
How to Use LED Lights to Save Energy?

LEDs have come a long way since 1972. If you watched the Times Square New Year's Eve ball drop you saw it illuminated by 9,576 white LEDs which replaced the 600 incandescent bulbs before. The new ball is twice as bright but uses a fraction of its predecessor's electricity.

GrowGSL

LED "Diodes" are more efficient at converting electric to light then the old fashioned "filament bulb".

ww.png

:thumb:

jassica

On Vacation
LED life span50000hours. no maintance fee. no need for reflector. No ballast.

bigzev

Hello team, Im new at this forum but Ive been reading a lot about leds. Im about to buy leds to make my own grow lamp. This is because customs will not allow me to buy a "market" lamp. Instead I will try to make it myself.

Here is where I need some help from you guys. Im thinking to buy:

50 - 1W Red Led (660nm)
25 - 1W Blue Led (470nm)
10 - 1W Coolwhite Led
5 - 1W Orange led (590nm)

This is to create a lamp for aproximatelly 2 plants (1x1 meters).

Is this configuration OK? Should I go with 3w leds? Leds for my is pretty expensive, so this will be my only shot for a while. I really need to buy the best configuration.

Any Help will be very welcome!

Hosebomber

Bigzev, there are a few things you should look into before using that configuration. First , cool white has a very low distribution range over 50% RP. Look at the data sheet for the white led's you want to use and I'm sure you will see that there is a better choice and why. I'm guessing you are using white to hit a wider spectra. If not then disregard the prior comment. Secondly, your blue spectrum is too high of a wavelength to hit peak wavelengths and too low to hit the few others that are above it. I suggest reading a few of the post around on the forums, there is some really good info about spectra and what plants need.

bigzev

Hello friends, yes it is my first time building a led lamp. I think im going to change to 3w leds.

Hosebomber or anybody, could you help me with the correct led spectrums I should buy? For example, UV or IR leds could replace white leds? There are a lot of post but each have their opinion on wavelength.

Thanks for any help!

Hosebomber

Wavelengths are something that some companies and very few individuals actually test. Most who have done it are not likely to give that information away freely. Likewise, there are as many thoughts and opinions about the correct spectra as there are Chinese companies selling them.

Seeing that this is your first attempt to build a panel, you may want to buy fewer LEDs and take some time reading up on everything that goes into the design process. You need to consider your power source, heat dissipation, thermal runaway, drive current, cooling methods, and many other things before you go soldiering a bunch of wires and LEDs together and think you are going to grow nice healthy buds.

Basicly, it's cheaper to buy a pre-made panel and you are less likely to shock yourself, burn your house down, or get a completely wrong spectra and waste your money. From the guy that burnt up over $2000 in LED's is a week testing thermal runaway and max drive currents/voltage... It's cheaper and easier to buy a pre-made panel.

With that being said, I have listed about 30 different peer reviewed scientific articles regarding wavelengths, plant growth hormones, cellular transformation, and spectral distribution on this sight. If you want to make the ultimate grow light you are going to have to start there and work your way to it. I'm over 3 years and tens of thousands of dollars into my research and have yet to find the "magic" ratio/blend.

bigzev

Hello and thanks for the response. I agree that is cheaper and easier to buy a UFO kind of lamp, but my problem is that customs wont allow it to enter to my country because of restrictions on electronic devices. Thats why I have to doit myself.

OK, I'll go with this configuration and take a shot. Thanks all you guys for help me, and I will post the results!

H-factor

I found out that most good company's do a 9:1 ratio of red and blue and some UV leds.

Are you going to get single chip leds or multi chip

bigzev

Hello friends, Im bulding 2 type of lamps. The first lamp is with 5mm super bright leds. Im using this for vegetative grow. The ratio is 7:1. So far looks very good and the plants looks healthy.

Im still working in the second type of lamp. It will be 3w single chip leds. Since I have a growing lamp Im going to focus in the floring fase, so the ratio will be 4:1 (red:blue). I will add som UV and white full spectrum.

Now, I have a problem with the second kind of leds 'cos they heat too much and the fans I will use wouldnt make it. Looks like they also need a dissipator. Im figuring out how to do it. It will help if someone did it, of if someone have pictures of an open UFO lamp, so we can copy it.

Anyway I will continue posting my progress. Thank all.

seecol

Here are some tips to use LED lights to save energy
1.Take advantage of LED's directionality. LEDs produce about the same light per watt as CFLs but they are more focused, so they are perfect for reading lamps
2.Install where vibration is a problem. If you put incandescent lights under the steps leading to a basement or in a busy garage where vibration is ever present the filaments to incandescent bulbs will simply snap. LEDs are solid. They are semi conductors and will not break.
3.Use them where you need constant color temperature.LED's will keep their original color when less current is supplied to them.
4.Take advantage of LED's long useful life.LEDs last ten times longer than CFLs and one hundred and thirty times longer than incandescent. If you light with an LED for 12 hours a day, it can last 12 years.
5.Rely on them when the lighting has to be cool to the touch.LEDs are the better choice for closets or storage areas.
6.Choose them for holiday lighting.By altering the components used to manufacture LEDs, the color of the light's output itself changes, making it far more efficient.
7.Rely on them in flashlights. The best flashlight I have is powered by a crank and uses an LED for a bright directional light.
8.Use them for nightlights. They are a perfect choice for a children's bedroom.
9.Know that they will cut your power consumption dramatically. Some cities have cut their power consumption in public lighting by 80% by switching to LEDs.

seecol

Light Emitting Diodes, or LED lights as we know them, are the future of lighting. Today, LED lights are being used for various home and business lighting needs such as garden lights, Christmas lights, torches, lamps and the list goes on and on.

Basically, LED lights emit very little heat yet shines just as brightly, offering sufficient lighting and lighting power as regular bulbs. The difference is that regular bulbs generate more heat causing a high electricity bill. Since the energy being released as heat rather than light, most of our utility bill is actually unused energy.

Top Bottom