How to use LST without limiting height

Viu Caravanos

I know LST is used to create more apical buds and also to control height.
I would like to create more apical buds but I don't want to restrict the height. I figure that way, the yield will be larger.
What is the best way to use LST if space isn't an issue?

the reason you want to restrict height is to have an even bud canopy so that everything gets the same amount of light, that way you dont end up with a plant with big buds at the top and thinner buds at the bottom due to lack of light. Look for the post on "bending and topping your way to a 1lb monster", it is a great walk thru on growing monster plants. I am working on it right now. But if you dont want to keep it short and stocky, just pinch the 4th node and let it split and continue to grow upwards and pinch again in a few weeks.

I know LST is used to create more apical buds and also to control height.
I would like to create more apical buds but I don't want to restrict the height. I figure that way, the yield will be larger.
What is the best way to use LST if space isn't an issue?

Actually, there's a very simple way to do this. All you have to do is lower the apical tip enough so that the side branches are slightly higher. The easiest way to do that is to bend over the top 6-8 inches. And then each day, several times a day if you can, bend any higher branch out and away, which will lower it. Your plant gets wider and wider. With the smaller side branches, you can just bend the top couple inches enough to lower them - they're nice and soft. I've done this with several plants. The apical tip also gets the most growth hormone, so when it gets distributed among a bunch of equal tips, they'll all grow at the same rate and the plant will grow more slowly and not stretch as much in early bloom.

The only limit on how big a plant can get with this method is the pot size or root system. Jon705 used to do some really big plants this way, too, in monster pots like 15 gallon totes. :cheesygrinsmiley: if you want to read his journals - lots of good pics. :thumb:

Jon705's First Attempt at Organic SuperSoil Featuring TopLED's New COB LED Panel

Thank you for your answer!
My plant is 2 weeks old and it's 5 inches, do you think I should start using LST with it?

p.s, It's an Arjan Strawberry Haze

arjun strawberry haze is a tall long branched beast anyway mate and a big producer i would definately restrict her movements lol

That upload didn't make it off your drive - gotta go through 420's upload server. :cheesygrinsmiley:

But no, 5 inches is too short. I usually wait until I have 12-14 inches to work with. That will let you see how the lower side branches are growing and tell you where to bend it for best effect. The plant will be a lot more tolerant at that growth stage, too, readying itself for a serious growth spurt. I bend the top just enough to bring it lower than a cluster of side branches, and fix it in place. Then do the same to any side branch that outgrows the others. You'll end up with a short Scrog-style plant with many tops at the same height.

If you scan through the last few dozen pages of my Cupwinners journal, you'll see how my lil shorties come out, but I don't have the headroom like you do to grow them out to monsters.

This is a leggy Utopia Haze I trained that way, 79 days old now, flipped a couple weeks ago.

DSCN6095.JPG

DSCN6096.JPG

Back
Top Bottom