How to water properly

I admit to using a postal scale while they are in veg and before transferring to 1g pots. Those 1 gallon dudes are so easy to pick up, the lift method works for me there, and when they are in big 5-10 gallon containers, just lifting a corner or nudging with my toe can tell me if that is a light pot or one that is too heavy to budge, still from water weight.

After a while you start to get a feel for when the plant needs water or feeding. You look at it and just know. It's always best to check, anyone can have an off day, but as you gain experience and confidence you start to notice things that went right by you when you first started growing. You just need to pay attention.

c
No. It's not regular potting soil. This link provides a good explanation.

Soil conundrum.

Look at the bottom right hand of their feeding chart. They should stamp PH 5.8 - 6.2 in big neon letters on the bag. I was part way through my first grow with it before I realised. Thankfully they are weeds and grew anyway.

can i use vinegar to lower ph?

I admit to using a postal scale while they are in veg and before transferring to 1g pots. Those 1 gallon dudes are so easy to pick up, the lift method works for me there, and when they are in big 5-10 gallon containers, just lifting a corner or nudging with my toe can tell me if that is a light pot or one that is too heavy to budge, still from water weight.
ok so the seedlings both sprouted, however, one has Yellow Leaves tips (it just came out the soil today) while the other looks healthier, any idea to why?

Attachments

• photo_2020-06-26_20-59-38.jpg
    photo_2020-06-26_20-59-38.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 79
  • photo_2020-06-26_20-59-40.jpg
    photo_2020-06-26_20-59-40.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 76
i actually have that issue quite often, is it because i'm not using rapid rooters? anyways hopefully it gets nice and green :)
it probably has nothing to do with what you are doing at all... like I said, nothing to worry about. You might be surprised what stronger genetics will do as far as germinating cleanly though. I have noticed that the more expensive seeds seem to leap out of there.

how did you start them?

it probably has nothing to do with what you are doing at all... like I said, nothing to worry about. You might be surprised what stronger genetics will do as far as germinating cleanly though. I have noticed that the more expensive seeds seem to leap out of there.

how did you start them?
those seeds are from royal seeds

i started them in a water cup, then after they cracked i put em in the soil

how did you start them?
may i ask how you start your seeds?

those seeds are from royal seeds

i started them in a water cup, then after they cracked i put em in the soil
may i ask how you start your seeds?
Royal seeds are usually pretty strong, so I wouldn't suspect genetics. You soaked them first to soften the shell, so that isn't it. It just happens sometimes... I have no other explanation.

I start my seeds after soaking for 24 hours on a damp well rinsed paper towel, in a sealed baggie, tucked away in a warm dark place. When the roots are about an inch long, I transplant them to solo cups of soil, about 1 inch deep.

Royal seeds are usually pretty strong, so I wouldn't suspect genetics. You soaked them first to soften the shell, so that isn't it. It just happens sometimes... I have no other explanation.

I start my seeds after soaking for 24 hours on a damp well rinsed paper towel, in a sealed baggie, tucked away in a warm dark place. When the roots are about an inch long, I transplant them to solo cups of soil, about 1 inch deep.
i used to use the paper towel trick too, but it killed a few of my seeds, i suspect they put something on paper towels like people suggested, like pesticides.

so i just soak em for 24h and as soon as they crack pop em in the soil without waiting for the root to get long

the thing they put on paper towels, especially the cheap brands, is bleach, so they turn white. It is important to triple rinse your paper towels before use, or they can and do often kill plants. Your method works too... it doesn't get much simpler than that... the paper towel simply allows you to see any that failed to germinate a little earlier.

the thing they put on paper towels, especially the cheap brands, is bleach, so they turn white. It is important to triple rinse your paper towels before use, or they can and do often kill plants. Your method works too... it doesn't get much simpler than that... the paper towel simply allows you to see any that failed to germinate a little earlier.
Also, tap root hairs can become embedded in paper fibers and be pulled off when seed is removed. It helps to saturate paper towel directly before removing seed...imho.

Also, tap root hairs can become embedded in paper fibers and be pulled off when seed is removed. It helps to saturate paper towel directly before removing seed...imho.

Yes. Skipping the paper towel thing altogether is also a good way to avoid that issue. Soak them and plant them, then the only thing the roots and root hairs will grow into is the medium the (eventual) plant will be growing in. It also means no time growing a root when there is zero possibility of that root reaching nutrients. The energy wasted on doing that is small - but so is the amount stored within the seed case.

But it's not something that often causes harm; I've done it, myself, although I rarely do any more. It doesn't really provide any real benefit over other methods (unless I'm missing something?). I used to think, "It allows me to SEE whether an old seed germinates." But a cup of water will do that. I used to think, "But I'm forgetful, and if I leave a seed in a cup of water too long, it might 'drown.' " But leaving a seed in a paper towel too long also causes issues - the "infant" can end up expending so much of its finite stored resources that it has early developmental problems, and the issue you mentioned can become significant if the thing is allowed (forced?) to stay in the paper towel for a longer period of time. And... I've forgotten about seeds in cups of water so long that I returned to discover empty seed cases and tiny little seedlings, lol (quickly losing their chlorophyll!). Those required some special treatment, but most ended up being fine. So, yeah, I cannot really see the point of doing the paper towel thing.

the thing they put on paper towels, especially the cheap brands, is bleach, so they turn white. It is important to triple rinse your paper towels before use, or they can and do often kill plants.

I've read that formaldehyde is also commonly found in them. Also dioxin and furans.

i actually have that issue quite often, is it because i'm not using rapid rooters?

I've read that moisture level of the media might have something to do with it. Also seed orientation (which end is up). And the depth that it is planted at. How it's supposed to work is that the friction/resistance encountered by the emerging young plant is enough to gently and (relatively) slowly end up pulling the seed case free from the cotyledons. So one might assume that anything that makes it too easy for the thing to break ground, or to do so too quickly is probably going to be a contributing factor. IDK, maybe even vigor (or lack of same) of the youngling could play a part.

I seem to see it more when I plant closer to the surface. <SHRUGS>

Back
Top Bottom