How to water properly

yes, water out to that circle 3x the diameter of the plant once a day... when the 3x the diameter reaches the edge of the pot, we are going to change things up. This is one reason it is so much easier to start in a solo cup... by now you would already be watering to runoff and monitoring the wet/dry cycle. And, no, what they were not able to drink up as the water slid by them has now fallen to the bottom of the container. It will continue to pool down there until the tap and feeder roots reach it, which they should have by now. Got your third set of leaves coming in yet?

yes, water out to that circle 3x the diameter of the plant once a day... when the 3x the diameter reaches the edge of the pot, we are going to change things up. This is one reason it is so much easier to start in a solo cup... by now you would already be watering to runoff and monitoring the wet/dry cycle. And, no, what they were not able to drink up as the water slid by them has now fallen to the bottom of the container. It will continue to pool down there until the tap and feeder roots reach it, which they should have by now. Got your third set of leaves coming in yet?
no, they are 10 day's old, the 2nd set of Leaves is still establishing and small, shouldn't i send a big of water straight down the trunk too?

In soil we do not fertilize every time, and even in an inert soil, running in "feeeding/survival mode" we still alternate feed/water/feed/water all through the grow. The reason for this is that we give full strength nutes on one pass and the plant cant use all of that on the first pass, so we give pH adjusted (to 6.3) water the next time to reactivate any unused nutes so the plant can use them. This keeps nutrients from building up in the soil and causing problems, and the plants get what they need. It is important then that every fluid that hits your soil, plain water or water with nutes, be carefully adjusted to 6.3 pH before applying it to the soil

Hi @Emilya , just having a wake and bake moment.... instead of feeding full strength every other watering, wouldn't you get the same response from feeding 1/2 strength every watering?

Hi @Emilya , just having a wake and bake moment.... instead of feeding full strength every other watering, wouldn't you get the same response from feeding 1/2 strength every watering?
sort of... and some people do grow like this intentionally... but what you give up is that initial jolt, where the plant is able to use however much it wants... if you come in at half strength, this "jolt" is not able to happen, and while you are steadily feeding the plant what it "needs" you are not able to give it the "extra" that allows it to exceed.

sort of... and some people do grow like this intentionally... but what you give up is that initial jolt, where the plant is able to use however much it wants... if you come in at half strength, this "jolt" is not able to happen, and while you are steadily feeding the plant what it "needs" you are not able to give it the "extra" that allows it to exceed.
hey, i wanna start another auto, do you recommend i start in a small pot? the issuei have is that when i wiggle it out to up pot it, some times the soil brakes in half and brakes some of the roots... how can i avoid this?

If your soil is able to break up upon transplanting, you probably did it a bit early, before a real rootball had developed. Waiting until the wet/dry cycle hits 24-36 hours the first time will usually avoid this problem.

I am still a big believer in uppotting at least once, specifically because I want to develop a strong rootball at the first stage. I have started my autos in solo cups, and there they will stay until I am having to water every day. Then I will slide them out of the cups and into their final 5 gallon containers, with no stress. Check out my current grow journal for details... I have just started.

If your soil is able to break up upon transplanting, you probably did it a bit early, before a real rootball had developed. Waiting until the wet/dry cycle hits 24-36 hours the first time will usually avoid this problem.

I am still a big believer in uppotting at least once, specifically because I want to develop a strong rootball at the first stage. I have started my autos in solo cups, and there they will stay until I am having to water every day. Then I will slide them out of the cups and into their final 5 gallon containers, with no stress. Check out my current grow journal for details... I have just started.
but in autos that will slow growth down?

but in autos that will slow growth down?
why? if I make a hole exactly the size of my solo cup and gently remove the plant from the cup and set it down in that hole, what in that process is there that could possibly stunt out my plant?? The answer is that there is nothing to cause that to happen, and to the contrary, as soon as the roots realize that they have more room and fresh soil in the distance, they go crazy. You actually get a growth spurt, not stunting. In this respect (and many more) an Auto is simply another plant and all age old gardening methods apply.

All this nonsense about Auto's that you have been reading is a lie. There are a lot of bro scientists out there writing columns, making youtubes and otherwise stroking themselves and telling these lies so as to sound important, and also to sell Autos, a genetically inferior product. The whole marketing scheme behind Autos tries to inform you that they are easier to grow, don't take as many nutes, and they are faster... why would you not be drawn toward such a superior product? Truth be told, it is all marketing hype. A plant is a plant is a plant...

Here is something that might make you go, hmmmm....
If Auto's are so special and require such special rules, why is there not even ONE nutrient company that publishes a separate feeding schedule, just for Autos??

why? if I make a hole exactly the size of my solo cup and gently remove the plant from the cup and set it down in that hole, what in that process is there that could possibly stunt out my plant?? The answer is that there is nothing to cause that to happen, and to the contrary, as soon as the roots realize that they have more room and fresh soil in the distance, they go crazy. You actually get a growth spurt, not stunting. In this respect (and many more) an Auto is simply another plant and all age old gardening methods apply.

All this nonsense about Auto's that you have been reading is a lie. There are a lot of bro scientists out there writing columns, making youtubes and otherwise stroking themselves and telling these lies so as to sound important, and also to sell Autos, a genetically inferior product. The whole marketing scheme behind Autos tries to inform you that they are easier to grow, don't take as many nutes, and they are faster... why would you not be drawn toward such a superior product? Truth be told, it is all marketing hype. A plant is a plant is a plant...

Here is something that might make you go, hmmmm....
If Auto's are so special and require such special rules, why is there not even ONE nutrient company that publishes a separate feeding schedule, just for Autos??
i don't like autos either, but i like the fact that they are fast! i usually grow them when i'm late into growing season or i'm out of smoke!

remember i told you about that FEM that was dying due to shitty soil, it started growing again in the canna soil!!! really hyped. i hope it keeps being helathy.

i don't like autos either, but i like the fact that they are fast! i usually grow them when i'm late into growing season or i'm out of smoke!

remember i told you about that FEM that was dying due to shitty soil, it started growing again in the canna soil!!! really hyped. i hope it keeps being helathy.
Auto's are useful as you shared but if you look at the same variety of the same supplier of their photo and auto versions there is a drop in THC %. That is why I do not grow them but if one is willing to take the loss they sure look darn easy to grow and a good quick way to build up a stock of a variety of smoke if you are a little impatient.
That Canna growing medium does look interesting; I use Iowa top soil w/perlite because it's cheap (like me) but the Canna does look like a nice system with their nutes.

The only auto worth a single shit that I have grown so far is called Honey Peach CBD.
All the rest were pure crap.
Way to burst the bubble. I just started two autos in Kryptonite. A new coco/core medium mixed up in small batches by some boys down Weymouth way. A Gelato and a Alaskan Purple. While I don't expect mind blowing potency I also hope they are not crap. I guess time will tell.:peace::ganjamon:

Way to burst the bubble. I just started two autos in Kryptonite. A new coco/core medium mixed up in small batches by some boys down Weymouth way. A Gelato and a Alaskan Purple. While I don't expect mind blowing potency I also hope they are not crap. I guess time will tell.:peace::ganjamon:
They may very well be like the Honey Peach is.
When I say crap I mean genetically the other 4 that I have tried were not ready for prime time.
Most autoflowers I've seen are at best a 50/50 chance of it being stunted if you just turn the lights out and shout B00!
They are not genetically stable.

As far as the actual quality of the bud, assuming it doesn't get stunted and you end up with a bud about the size of your thumbnail as your total yield, the quality of the smoke is perfectly fine.
In fact that one and only autoflower that I have gotten to grow twice without a single problem, growing up to 4" per day is easily in the top 3 buds I've ever smoked as far as quality.

Lot's of people are able to grow fantastic Autos and are convinced that they are the cat's meow. Just because @Nunyabiz 's methods don't seem to produce many stellar Auto's doesn't mean it isn't possible. Even though I dis Autos regularly as an inferior product, that doesn't make them unsmokeable by any means... there are some perfectly acceptable Auto's, even to someone with a tolerance as high as mine is and most of anything that is grown with care at home is better quality than most of what you can buy in the dispensaries. Keep the faith! Your's will be amazing!

Lot's of people are able to grow fantastic Autos and are convinced that they are the cat's meow. Just because @Nunyabiz 's methods don't seem to produce many stellar Auto's doesn't mean it isn't possible. Even though I dis Autos regularly as an inferior product, that doesn't make them unsmokeable by any means... there are some perfectly acceptable Auto's, even to someone with a tolerance as high as mine is and most of anything that is grown with care at home is better quality than most of what you can buy in the dispensaries. Keep the faith! Your's will be amazing!
hey, i'm starting a new auto, i don't have solo cups, i'll use normal White cups, they are about half the size of a solo cup, how long should i keep it in there?

Back
Top Bottom