How was your first experience in a dispensary?

your right !
Good idea
There’s a few states better than others. Unfortunately IL. Isn’t one of them. First off they tax it so high people are going to Michigan. Secondly it felt like visiting a bro in the joint, show valid I.D. to armed off duty CPD. State wants to make sure it’s gets its revenue from I.D.s next show I.D. to staff and pick your purchase on a tablet screen and give your email address so they can bomb it later. Wait in line, then you get a email saying your purchase is ready. Wait for cashier to retrieve it and show I.D. to cashier. Pay for purchase exit the building to show armed guard your purchase with receipt. Happily leave the property vowing never to return. Find the greatest growers site on the web and join @420 Magazine and start growing your own with the help of the most righteous people you ever met in many years. CL🍀

The dispensaries in NY are ridiculously expensive. An ounce of pre-ground bud (over-ground) is $200.. It use to be twice that! And, at the dispensary I bought from, wouldn't even tell you the strain when I was there.

I stopped using them after I harvested my first plant.

First off they tax it so high people are going to Michigan.
The prices in Michigan are dropping drastically. They have dropped so much that there are smaller growing businesses that are facing bankruptcy.

The biggest part of the problem here, and most likely in other states, is that the pro-cannabis people oversold the amounts of money the states could make with the taxes, high priced licenses and permits. That made it easier to sell to the residents who are middle-of-the-road on the issue of legalization.

By the time a grower has paid for electricity, heating and cooling, water, fertilizers, building maintenance, labor, insurance and on and on the product will be costing more than enough. Then add in the extra costs like licensed transportation, testing, packaging and the price goes up.

So why would the general public want to go to a licensed dispensary or provisioning store or whatever the current name is for a legal store? Most everyone who wants to buy knows someone who can help them get whatever they want. Grandma wants a cookie to help dull the pain in her back or help her sleep and all she has to do is ask one of her grandkids. Even in the grandkid does not partake they know someone they trust.

And, the price is half of the state licensed and taxed cookies, topicals/salves, or buds.

The prices in Michigan are dropping drastically. They have dropped so much that there are smaller growing businesses that are facing bankruptcy.

The biggest part of the problem here, and most likely in other states, is that the pro-cannabis people oversold the amounts of money the states could make with the taxes, high priced licenses and permits. That made it easier to sell to the residents who are middle-of-the-road on the issue of legalization.

By the time a grower has paid for electricity, heating and cooling, water, fertilizers, building maintenance, labor, insurance and on and on the product will be costing more than enough. Then add in the extra costs like licensed transportation, testing, packaging and the price goes up.

So why would the general public want to go to a licensed dispensary or provisioning store or whatever the current name is for a legal store? Most everyone who wants to buy knows someone who can help them get whatever they want. Grandma wants a cookie to help dull the pain in her back or help her sleep and all she has to do is ask one of her grandkids. Even in the grandkid does not partake they know someone they trust.

And, the price is half of the state licensed and taxed cookies, topicals/salves, or buds.
I’ve seen Mi. prices and believe me they are a helluva lot cheaper than here. That’s why everyone here is buying there in bulk. It’s a shame they can’t figure out a way to make everyone happy n I’m really bummed hearing this. I thought you guys were one of the few that were doing it right. Even though you say it’s taxed too high know that the next time my friends go I’ll still be putting in my order. CL🍀

I’m in NJ I started growing the weed was so bad and at 65 an 1/8 who needs it. It’s still illegal to grow because god forbid they don’t get every tax dollar, I watched a YouTube vid by the guy that owns Darkhorse genetics in Colorado, he was saying they let all the big dollar companies come in and flood the market with literally tons of weed and their putting all the mom and pop shops outta business. Everything in this country has become about money , it’s really sad

Even though you say it’s taxed too high know that the next time my friends go I’ll still be putting in my order.
The taxes and fees are hurting the growers who are ending up selling in bulk for less than what it costs them to grow. And many of the licenses and business fees are fixed; they are not dependent on the selling price so they remain high even if the selling price at harvest drops.

I forgot to say that at least through a dispensary you know that it’s been grown safely. I can get a 1/2 oz off the street for what a dispensary charges for a 1/8th. CL🍀
The taxes and fees are hurting the growers who are ending up selling in bulk for less than what it costs them to grow. And many of the licenses and business fees are fixed; they are not dependent on the selling price so they remain high even if the selling price at harvest drops.
It’s sounds like a mess but it’s still better than here. Every politician has their eye on how to pay for everything. Tax weed so high people are going back to the streets or Mi. Smh It’s sad because everyone was so happy to see it legal. But the only good thing is we can also legally grow. CL🍀

The dispensaries in NY are ridiculously expensive. An ounce of pre-ground bud (over-ground) is $200.. It use to be twice that! And, at the dispensary I bought from, wouldn't even tell you the strain when I was there.

I stopped using them after I harvested my first plant.
That’s what they charge here 170-220 an OZ. CL🍀

I’m in NJ I started growing the weed was so bad and at 65 an 1/8 who needs it. It’s still illegal to grow because god forbid they don’t get every tax dollar, I watched a YouTube vid by the guy that owns Darkhorse genetics in Colorado, he was saying they let all the big dollar companies come in and flood the market with literally tons of weed and their putting all the mom and pop shops outta business. Everything in this country has become about money , it’s really sad
All the little M+P growers were greedy and sold their licenses to the Corporations here. It was really funny because the minorities were wanting their licenses but when they got them they sold out to the Corporations as well. CL🍀

All the little M+P growers were greedy and sold their licenses to the Corporations here. It was really funny because the minorities were wanting their licenses but when they got them they sold out to the Corporations as well. CL🍀
I guess if you think about it, it’s only going to get cheaper. Why buy it when it’s so easy to grow and the quality of what you grow is A+ compared to the dispensary weed at least here in NJ , the weed is mostly all larf crap . You know their not buying seeds at 10 bucks a pop , although I’ve seen some really good seed banks starting to be sold in dispensaries, but the quality of their seeds has gone downhill

I read somewhere that, in Michigan, homegrowers and commercial growers has grown three times what the state needs.

These shops will all go under in a year or two.

I read somewhere that, in Michigan, homegrowers and commercial growers has grown three times what the state needs.

These shops will all go under in a year or two.
That has already started.

Some of the growers have already had to seek protection from their creditors while they try to figure out how to pay back the monies they borrowed to get started.

Over the past 6 months or so there have been articles in the major newspapers, TV news and radio programming here in Michigan on the price drops and the effect it is having on large and small growing businesses. And, that price drop will have an effect on all the related businesses that are tied in. All of them from the transporters to the testing labs to the shops that sell.

From the WOOD TV station in Grand Rapids, MI on March 13, 2023:
(WOOD) — Michigan's marijuana industry is facing growing pains as prices fall and supply increases. In January 2022, the average cost for an ounce of flower in Michigan was $152. In January 2023, the average fell to $80, creating what some call a consumers' market.

Do a simple google search using the phrase below for more than just a couple of articles or web pages on this:
michigan price dropping on marijuana

Over the past week or so there has been an uptick in pricing, for all its worth, when an ounce went up by $5. Doubt that will be enough to save some of the growers.

In the meantime Detroit has started to get licensed stores to open. Been on the local TV news all morning.

New York legalized the purchase/sale of recreational marijuana in licensed shops as of late last December. The state also said it will be legal to grow your own eighteen months after the shops open.

We'll have the same problems as Michigan and most of the shops will end up closing.

We'll have the same problems as Michigan and most of the shops will end up closing.
Retail shops but most likely the growers first. They have a large outlay of money on buildings, soil or soil-less for the roots, maintenance and labor. If the price that they can sell the harvested cannabis drops below their expenses they are not going to be able to continue in operation.

Take a look at articles and news stories of what has been happening in California and Colorado and most of the western states that have legalized medical and recreational sales and possession. The issues we are seeing here and that you figure will be hitting NY in the next year or so have already happened there.

I get the feeling that some are confusing the growers with the retail stores that sell the final product.

The businesses going out these days are the growers and not the retail shops. While large growers could push out smaller growers with hopes to grab a larger percentage of the wholesale side it is not working. If they have to keep dropping their price until someone buys eventually they will not be getting enough to pay the costs of growing. And, in the meantime the next harvest is coming in and the retail market is still using up the previously discounted product. Until the retail market uses up what they bought from the previous harvest the grower has to hold onto the supply or drop the price even more to move it out of the warehouses.

The retailers can adjust their prices to take advantage of the flood of discounted harvest. Dropping the customer's cost for pre-rolls, grams, 1/8th and 1/4s and everything else that can be made with the flowers will get more customers through the door. If the price of wholesale goes up the retailers can raise their prices and maintain an acceptable profit margin to pay all the associated costs of doing business.

When a grower goes out of busines the remaining growers cannot say that they can now increase production and grab a larger share of the wholesale market. The market is already flooded and growing more means the over production continues. Wholesale prices remain low and growers are still not making a profit. The retail stores or dispensaries are still going strong as they readjust their prices to the customers to match the price that is being paid for wholesale products.

That is what has been happening here in MIchigan for a year now. And happening out west for several years. The legal growing side of the market is flooded. The illegal growers keep on pushing out their harvest and if they have to drop their prices a bit is OK since they are not paying taxes, licenses, or testing fees.

The retail market in Michigan is still catching up with the licenses being issued by local municipalities. Detroit finally got their act together and this past week announced that the first of 160 plus legal stores are about ready to open. A lot of these small retail stores are not owned by the growers.

I c an only tell you about dispos in California. Mostly illegal so the quality of budtenders is pretty low. They lie about everything probably because they know nothing. Then huge new legal ones have popped up. They like to change the price from what you saw online, always higher. Oh and some like to yell your name from across the store. I grow and buy usually strains I have some familiarity with. And I have found big distributors are spraying buds and calling low grade stuff High quality with huge THC numbers.

I usually stick to what I grew. Then I am pleasantly surprized.

Take your time, and don't hesitate to ask the staff for recommendations based on what you're looking for. They're usually super helpful and can guide you through strains, products, and dosages.

Back
Top Bottom