How Will I Know When my Plants Need to be Repotted?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
When you see root tips protruding from the bottom drainage holes in the planter it will be time to repot your plants.

Added by: Kunta wears a sarong

...another way to tell if your plants need to be transplanted into bigger pots is when they require watering more than 5 or 6 times per week - this is a sure sign that they need transplanting.

Seedling taproots can reach out through the holes in the bottom of the container well before the need to transplant.

can one just prune their roots? I am in the process of understanding how my bonsia mothers work. so I only have a small amount of space, so naturally going to a larger pot is impossible.

Yes you can prune roots. There will be an initial set back in growth, but if the new soil holds a lot of air the plant will handle it and get back on track quickly.

I'm no expert, but I have done it successfully with dwarf fruit trees - they held on to their fruit and flowers and started to grow again a few days later. Don't expose roots to sun or intense lights, be quick and drying should not be an issue. If the soil is good you may be able to use it - although there may be a lot of the old root material in the soil and I'm not sure that would be good for the plant.

O.K. I have a problem and this seems like the place to ask since I can't post a new thread.

I have 2 6500k and 2 3000k cfl. I have used 3 6" pots(starwberry cough, haze Mist and Fruit areomatic) and I have used Miricle Grow Organic soil with perlite and vermiculite and a little sand. It took about 2 days for the sprouts to come up. But two days later the SC started to turn a bit yellow and the HM seemed to have what you call ram horns, the FA seemed alright for the most part but I think there might be a black spot startingt o form on one of the leaves.

Did I use the wrong kind of soil? The PH on the water I was using was about 6.4. I haven't given them any nutrients except what was in the soil. I think it might be Pythium. Any ideas? It flushed with H2O2 but not sure if that helped or not. I think I might be better off just going with rockwool and pelets!

The H2O2 is the right first step if you suspect any root issues.

It sounds to me like the soil is a little hot for the plants plus you may be overwatering. That MG soil has a bunch of stuff in it. I generally do not feed them for at least a week. Ideally you should amend your soil with at least 30 - 50% perlite for drainage and aeration. You want fast drainage and plenty of access to air for the roots.

Absolutely second that. Really need to use specific 'seedling' soil. They very unlikely to make it thru in that soil as babies my friend, I killed a batch in my first grow so speak from experience.

appreciate it. I think I'll do the smart thing and use bagseed until I know whats wrong. I waisted 20 bucks on those babies. Yeah I thought something was foul about the soil after they came up and just stopped growing, like they were stasis.

Just out of curiosity. Do you think my lighting is O.K.? Their t5 6500K AND 3000K, It's a lot of blue and then alot of red. I thought that they would be fine. I'm more of a visual person than well read, I tend to fly by the seat of my pants.
Thank you guys for helping me:thumb:

worth losing 20 bucks if a good lesson has been learned amigo. Id suggest taking your time, get the journal going, read some info as much as possible and buy good seeds again!

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom