HPS and CFL?

Skoda

I'm two weeks in with N/L auto fems,5 in 5 gallon pots,5ft cfl close up,hps two foot above,they are all about 3inches tall.24/7. Should I leave this as it is?,any thoughts welcome..

Running HPS, I wouldn't bother with a fluorescent unless it was just for grow room lighting.

I'd run 18/6 for lighting.
Thanks for your reply,just had the strip low for seedlings,don't need room lighting,so should I get rid now they are kicking in? Thought more light was good,but I'm a novice so go with experienced comments.you think a bit of dark will be good?

I'm not the expert and I've only tried autos once...........and had zero luck.

but in my experience, I'd ditch the HID for now and run only CFL. my experience with HPS from day one (with regular plants) is that they get leggy whereas with CFL, they get full/bushy and form a whole lot of branches, meaning more bud sites.

just my two cents.

Some people just use T5, T8 (fluorescent tube lights) and some people use CFL all just for seedlings and early Veg. But honestly if I had a choice between them, I'd take your HPS all day long over my CFLs.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think the CFLs are needed, but it will depend on the size HPS you're using too. Also a question.. Are you Vegging with HPS, or MH? MH is more appropriate for Veg, and HPS is better suited for Flowering.

I'm a Novice too :p So welcome to the club. I've read differing opinions, and everyone has their reasons. The most common I've seen are 18/6, and 24/0 for veg. For autos the schedule is kept the same throughout the grow, and for photo period plants, to flower the light schedule is switched to 12/12.

Some people say that 24 hours is better and the plants benefit from all the light being supplied and it gives it more energy.
Some people say that 18/6 is better because the plants benefit from the dark period to recover, grow, and all that good stuff.

And I'm sure there's a thousand other reasons people give for each. I haven't found any scientific proof as of yet as to which one is better, but for me personally, I like the 18/6 schedule.

not to criticize anybody else's MH, but in the middle of my current grow, I switched one section of my garden to MH and lost lots of growth as compared to the CFL's I was running in both sections. after 10 days, I switched back to CFL's. (my MH bulb sucks.) then again, my CFL's are 575W effective/110W actual which is a whole lot of light and lumens.

no matter what I've tried, MH, HPS... I find the CFL's give me far better initial growth. I save the HPS for flowering as nothing else has proven superior, so far.

I use 4' T-5's as side lighting pretty much throughout.

I'm not the expert and I've only tried autos once...........and had zero luck.

but in my experience, I'd ditch the HID for now and run only CFL. my experience with HPS from day one (with regular plants) is that they get leggy whereas with CFL, they get full/bushy and form a whole lot of branches, meaning more bud sites.

just my two cents.
Nice words.the kids seem to like the set up at the mo,maybe the low cfl is working as you say,but thinking the hps can only give more light/spectrum?.
Love your two cents,that's my two pence!

It's a minefield man!,I've read loads of different shit about lights to,I think some worry about overheating with to many lights,but I've got my set up shed style so plenty of natural vent and loads of light,plus a little oil heater when the temp drops at night(shit British weather),gonna stick with the 24/0 all the time the gremlins like it,actually they are really kicking in nice now,not stretching.so I think the low strip is keeping them in check.

Some people just use T5, T8 (fluorescent tube lights) and some people use CFL all just for seedlings and early Veg. But honestly if I had a choice between them, I'd take your HPS all day long over my CFLs.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think the CFLs are needed, but it will depend on the size HPS you're using too. Also a question.. Are you Vegging with HPS, or MH? MH is more appropriate for Veg, and HPS is better suited for Flowering.

I'm a Novice too :p So welcome to the club. I've read differing opinions, and everyone has their reasons. The most common I've seen are 18/6, and 24/0 for veg. For autos the schedule is kept the same throughout the grow, and for photo period plants, to flower the light schedule is switched to 12/12.

Some people say that 24 hours is better and the plants benefit from all the light being supplied and it gives it more energy.
Some people say that 18/6 is better because the plants benefit from the dark period to recover, grow, and all that good stuff.

And I'm sure there's a thousand other reasons people give for each. I haven't found any scientific proof as of yet as to which one is better, but for me personally, I like the 18/6 schedule.
It's a minefield man!,I've read loads of different shit about lights to,I think some worry about overheating with to many lights,but I've got my set up shed style so plenty of natural vent and loads of light,plus a little oil heater when the temp drops at night(shit British weather),gonna stick with the 24/0 all the time the gremlins like it,actually they are really kicking in nice now,not stretching.so I think the low strip is keeping them in check.

Not to sure if I'm hitting the right buttons on this chat thing.im a technophobe ! Gonna try and put some pics up on the weekend if I can,but might be tricky as its all a bit covert!

This should help you for adding pictures: Click Me!

Growing is just like parenting man. Everyone has an opinion, everyone has a way that works for them.

If 24 hours is working, don't change it. If you were running 24 hours and had plant problems, then it's something to consider changing, but if the girls are happy, I wouldn't touch it.

Chevy vrs ford here. A lot of great info has been given. I am sitting on the side lines.

It's Chevy for me :D
BANG!. Just checked the kids this morning talk about growth surge!,getting thirsty to,glad I handmade a nice light soil and perlite mix plus volcanic stone two inches on the bottom.the drainage is excellent.be difficult to overwater these babys.also the top layer of stones really helps to keep it moist in the middle,it's like a root sandwich !
Learnt a lot last year cocked soil and drainage up,luckily only using some bag seed some weirdo from the next village gave me!.

18822.JPG
18520.JPG

here we go,3 weeks in

Leaves just starting to droop a little ,this is when I water,last water was two days ago.
I WILL NOT OVER WATER!.....my new proverb.

Back
Top Bottom