HPS Light Question? enough?

dcy1015

Hey guys, this is my first real attempt at growing and so far things are going good. I am using floruos for the veg stage. and my question is.. I have a buddy that has a HPS light that is 150watt I think; it has the ballest inside the hood and has a fan to cool the ballest and maybe the light, as well. Hes givin the homie hook-up for $100 even. Do you guys think thats a good deal? I am wanting to work up to having at most 4 flowering plants at a time; is 150watts enough for 4 budding plants. thanks -dcy

Re: HPS Light Question?? enough?

you can find brand new 400 watt hps lamps with external ballast (also no air cool most likely) for like 100-120 bucks. i'd rather buy a new higher watt lamp than a used 150 if the price is about the same.

peace:allgood:

gOg is right. If you have it, I'd spend the extra money and get a higher wattage hid/ballast setup. If not the 150w and all the fluoros you are using would be ok for 4 flowering plants.

Why external ballast? Does it make a difference?

Ballasts put off heat. Best to keep them outside of immediate grow area, but still in a well ventilated space.

"Ballasts put off heat. Best to keep them outside of immediate grow area, but still in a well ventilated space."

Good advice, but I want to say that if one has problem with keeping grow room warm enough as we do on the north coast having a ballast in the grow room helps keep the temps up! The one thing about having the ballast in the grow room is EMF; I made the mistake of planting too close to the ballast and 240V cord the plants closest to the cord and ballast were about 1/2 the size of the plants 3' away (it was a SOG grow) and EMF is the thing I could attribute to the difference:>)

yep, ballasts can be a contributing factor in helping keep the heat up or down. But you say the Electromagnetic field or force helped your plants?

Why external ballast? Does it make a difference?

they also wiegh a ton.
so if you have non-external ballast your light now wieghs a ton.

no biggie if you have something sturdy to hang it from but still a lot harder to adjust the height. it makes me even more fearful of earthquakes too hate to see that puppy come down.

^Hmmm...experiment time for confirmation???

yep, ballasts can be a contributing factor in helping keep the heat up or down. But you say the Electromagnetic field or force helped your plants?

Akornpatch you might be right, 'cause I also have a 40" osillating fan w/ionizer in that corner also. this grow I've stopped the ionizer to check if that had anything to do with the phenom.

delicato420, Sorry I wasn't clear. No I feel that it stunted the plants closest to the source about 18"-36" away but as I said the experimant is on going.

After ya'all's posts I've been thinking that it could be one of three situations;
1. EMF?
2.Constant air oscillating on low speed too close to plants?
3.Ionizer too close to plants?

My cams' been on the fritz the last 2 grows so there are no pics=>(

Back
Top Bottom