HPS MH lights

QueenTokelove

I just bought in January, my 400w mh/hps light. I have 2 questions...First, how often should you buy new lights. I recall someone saying that the lights lose their strength(for lack of better word) after awhile. And second, I can use any universal mh/hps bulb? I did contact the person I bought it from but their reply was to of course buy their bulbs. But their bulbs were just too pricey and hoping I can find something cheaper being the frugal Queen that I am...

Re: HPS MH lights....

I think that the optimal change out time is 6 to 8 months Queen. I have used mine for up to a year because I am lazy and cheap and they have still produced. As far as if you can use the bulb it depends on your ballast. Is it magnetic or digital? If you give me the brand and model I might be able to figure it out.

I'm just curious but how much of the "need to change bulbs" is propaganda from lighting manufacturers? I so far have used my bulbs for 3 cycles and they still seem bright as they were the 1st day I used them. I mean really how many overall lumens are you losing if you use a bulb for 3 or more cycles? I would be really curious if anyone has tested or run experiments on bulb life, lumen output and spectrum shift.

I have wondered this myself Ice. I hate being taken for a ride.

I have seen charts that show lumen degradation over the life of a CFL but never for an HID and nothing about spectrum shift. I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of the guys with big brains on this site will post here and enlighten us.

I'm just curious but how much of the "need to change bulbs" is propaganda from lighting manufacturers? I so far have used my bulbs for 3 cycles and they still seem bright as they were the 1st day I used them. I mean really how many overall lumens are you losing if you use a bulb for 3 or more cycles? I would be really curious if anyone has tested or run experiments on bulb life, lumen output and spectrum shift.

Good point...

I think that the optimal change out time is 6 to 8 months Queen. I have used mine for up to a year because I am lazy and cheap and they have still produced. As far as if you can use the bulb it depends on your ballast. Is it magnetic or digital? If you give me the brand and model I might be able to figure it out.

I am not sure if it is digital or not. I got it from off the bay from ledwholesalers. Usually always has some in stock on there. It is a 400w and it's only one brand they have I think.

If it is the only one that I could find on their site then you can use either MH or HPS, but it is a digital ballast. I now that some bulbs were having trouble striking in digital ballasts. I am not sure if they have cleared that problem up yet or not. You should be ok I would think but My advice to you would be to call or go down to the local hydro shop and ask them what type of bulb you need.
Good luck.

I have multiple lights and ballasts. I have old ones next to new ones and you can tell the difference. Where the line is to switch out is up to you. If I'm growing same same I don't think much about it but when something special gets to the 12/12 room and I have some extra bread why not. But you will hear the big boys say every other cycle new ballast and bulb. And you better believe these guys only use the best so they pay internet pricing around 450.00 for 16 sf of light.
Happy 421

If it is the only one that I could find on their site then you can use either MH or HPS, but it is a digital ballast. I now that some bulbs were having trouble striking in digital ballasts. I am not sure if they have cleared that problem up yet or not. You should be ok I would think but My advice to you would be to call or go down to the local hydro shop and ask them what type of bulb you need.
Good luck.

Thanks for looking it up for me, been high and lazy all day today. I swear it must be something in the air besides this good smoke. I know I can use either or but when it comes to replacing, I can buy any brand bulb and it will fit it? Apologies, if I didn't explain it better the first time. Thanks for your input it is appreciated, once I move, I will locate the nearest hydro store, believe it.

If I'm growing same same I don't think much about it but when something special gets to the 12/12 room and I have some extra bread why no

For the moment, all my harvest have been bag seed, finishing up the last two plants now. I have two plants that I want to clone from good strains. I am hoping I have some change in May or June so I can get another light, either another 400w or maybe a 600w if the price is right...no pun intended.

ok been looking and the best I can figure out so far is the light goes bad if it dont lite any more. sooo I just went and bought a new bulb . AND tomarrow gonna screw it in and see if I can tell any diff. I think my camera has a light meter so maybe I will see. but hell it took me a week to figure out how to take a pic with it.LOL:peace:

you need to have a light meter or Lux meter to check what lume
612px-Lux_meter.jpg
ns ur blubs are putting out...

you need to have a light meter or Lux meter to check what lume
612px-Lux_meter.jpg
ns ur blubs are putting out...
ook do you or have ever seen a hps light lose lummens with that? or do they just burn out?:peace:

ok been looking and the best I can figure out so far is the light goes bad if it dont lite any more. sooo I just went and bought a new bulb . AND tomarrow gonna screw it in and see if I can tell any diff. I think my camera has a light meter so maybe I will see. but hell it took me a week to figure out how to take a pic with it.LOL:peace:

what kind of light did you get? Did it work?

what kind of light did you get? Did it work?
well Im not real happy about my purchase. whent to home depot and bought the only 400w hps they had. it was a phillips, its smaller and no where near the quality of the one htg included in the set up they sent me. so maybe when my pension check comes i will go buy a better one at the hydro shop. should have figured as it was only 30 bucks. but I did put it in so will check later to see if there is a diff.:peace:

I was jus linking the two posts for future viewers. That's what I feel are the purpose of threads. Threads, together comprise fabric. When linked we have better access to more info. :peace: Queen.

Yes, I understand what you did by joining both threads. I don't have a problem with it, I was just saying that I commented in that one as well. It would be nice if I could find someone on the site that has the same 400w that I do. I am just really afraid of buying the wrong light and being stuck with a bulb that I can't use.

Yes, I understand what you did by joining both threads. I don't have a problem with it, I was just saying that I commented in that one as well. It would be nice if I could find someone on the site that has the same 400w that I do. I am just really afraid of buying the wrong light and being stuck with a bulb that I can't use.
hey queen what exactly did you buy? I just have the basic remote ballast 400w kit that hgt sells it aint digital and cant dim, its what ever you get for about a buck thirty:)
:circle-of-love:

oh yeah just got a quart from the man and its all one bud... soo pretty. pics comming to a site near you!:Namaste:

What's up Queen...wow do you mean the place you bought it from won't tell you if you can use any brand bulb with the ballast? as far as I know, you can use any type of 400W MH bulb, if you have a dimable (digital) is it a 400W -200W or 600W to 400W? that would decided what watt bulb you order, but you should be able to use any type that matches the power of your Ballast.

This month special edition High Times has reviews and break downs of lights ballast, lots of stuff worth the buy, also they say a bulb should last for 1 year of use, you do not replace a bulb after only 1 grow, and if your using two bulbs HPS and MH, then that would be saying the life span of a bulb is about 2 months of use...no way.... like I said you should get 1 yr of use time out of a bulb, the digital ballast have been shown to burn out bulbs faster, as little as 6 months because they are not designed for the new type ballast, however there are few that are, Sunpulse, and a few others One last thing, a ballast does not get replaced after every grow, I'm sorry but someone read something wrong there, most have a warranty of 5 years!!!! and cost upward of 400+ for the new ones..no disrespect, I just don't want to see growers, who some are on a fixed budget, waste any money LOL really the HT i brought up is full of great info....peace

Back
Top Bottom