HPS/MH Switchin mid-way.... should I worry?

spenceje

My HPS is kinda tied up at the moment, but not for much longer. Thinking about switching to 12/12 with my MH....

My question is should it cause the plants any stress switching a week or two into flowering?

I don't see why it would... and if it did, why it would be any diff then making the switch at the same time as photoperiod but...... my friend asked the question and I thought I'd ask around.... THNX:allgood:

Re: HPS/MH Switchin mid-way.... should I worry??

you are switching from a normal Spectrum to a different one, will there be stress ?
More than likely. Maybe not even enough to notice.
Some flower with MH ... it's up for debate

Will it lower your yeild, maybe ... will it kill ;em, doudtful but possible the stress can be high enough to harm the Strain, that ol' pesky varabile Strain

Good Luck just go get a new HPS bulb
or what ever you need and
keep on, keepin' on

For the Mago Notes:
Always nice to have a BackUp for everything no matter what color it is.

you are switching from a normal Spectrum to a different one, will there be stress ?
More than likely. Maybe not even enough to notice.
Some flower with MH ... it's up for debate

Will it lower your yeild, maybe ... will it kill ;em, doudtful but possible the stress can be high enough to harm the Strain, that ol' pesky varabile Strain

Good Luck just go get a new HPS bulb
or what ever you need and
keep on, keepin' on

For the Mago Notes:
Always nice to have a BackUp for everything no matter what color it is.

Thanks........

So anyone wanna chime in on this debate? HPS or MH?

Seriously considering leaving the plants under MH til I sex them... and possibly the entire grow. Can't remember who..... thinking mighta been smokin moose... anyways someone told me that leaving the MH will give the plants a better look...
Anyone have enough exp to know if it's even a sizable diff that the HPS has on yeild????:peace:

Stoner4Life is on the money as far as yields from a HPS during flowering. For me, being an aesthetic gardener, I veg and flower under MH and have very good results. I personally have not been able to detect any significant difference in yield from the HPS. Also, the blue/green spectrum does make the plants look prettier. There should be no problems switching from MH to HPS for flowering, and as long as all other factors remain static, you should not cause stress to the plant doing this.

I've never heard of doing it that way but perhaps if you had a 400 MH for vegging & 1000 HPS for flowering I could see leaving the MH light on for flowering too, no problem w/o any heats issues I spose. The 1000watt HPS would dominate the grow spectrum during flowering as it should, having 400 watts each of MH/HPS would be no good (too even a blend) imo as it is too far from the actual HPS 2100K flowering range.

HPS & lumens bring home the bacon every time.......

So I take it you think it'd be a bad idea to use both 1Kwatt MH and HPS???

honestly it will effect your yeild going from hps to mh but if thats not the most important to you you could switch with really good results there are growers that do this it causes stress but good stress MORE RESIN kinda stress that mh blue spect. really adds more resin also make sure to drop temps and raise lights up a little each day for the last 2 weeks of flower for thoses rock hard nugz!! good luck give it a try i say lose some yield but gain more resin u decide good luck ps the best most resined most potent gardens have a combo of MH and HPS running

sorry i miss read your question im kushed up ;) i thought you were asking if you can switch from hps to mh in the last week or 2 of flower but to anwser your question you can definatly switch them up smaller yeild but harder buds old timers sware by MH and dont use hps in there gardens but these new hps bulbs are really pushing mh out of the flower room even some old timers are coming around wow

DaMagoMan, i am curious can you explain your cold dark cycle stress in a little more detail for me. please and thank you

I use a cold and dark cycle of sorts in my grows. In the last weeks two weeks of my flowering cycle I run my temps in the dark cycle at less than 15C. I have found the plants ripen off a little quicker and resin production increases, often with purple auxins showing as a result of the cold. This mimics conditions Indicas would experience at high altitudes in places such as Kashmir. Cold night temps often down to 5C occur frequently in these environs.
I am growing indoors through winter here, so it is easy for me to lower the temp in my grow room. Summers are more difficult and I have noticed that plants flower longer when night temps are above 15C.

Yeapper,
15-20 degree temp drop in your dark cycle.
Some of the Best comes out in the winter.

Same outdoors,
the later it stays in the Wild and
the colder the nights get the better the weed.

Trichs are protection for the plant,
as it gets colder the plant produces more trichs to protect itself from the cold.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give it a try.......... I think I should be able to get it that cold with just my lil' window unit. We shall see........
Curious..... when do you guys usually start droppin the temp? and once you start do you do it for the entire length of flowering??? ;)

I run the lower temps from the beginning of week 6 of flowering. The grow room temp varies from 12C to 15C. The preferred temp is 15C. It is very important to have excellent air circulation, as you can have a chance of mold if the air is damp and stagnant. I run an exhaust fan as well as an oscillating fan to keep the air fresh.

Back
Top Bottom