HPS questions

Canuckush

Is a 150W hps good for a full grow from veg, bloom and harvest?
Is heat a concern?
Is it an expensive light to run?

I know a guy who runs a 150 hps from veg to harvest in a 2x2x6 cabinet and does o.k. It does use some power but really not expensive to run I don't think. Heat is always a issue, depending were you live, and how big of grow space.

150W is pretty low wattage. How big is your tent and how many plants are you looking to run? HPS's do run hot, but most grower will be using somewhere between 400w - 1,000+W. Costs to run (and heat!) are a factor of the number of watts being drawn from the wall outlet, so a 150w HPS will cost the same to run as an LED that pulls 150 TRUE watts from the wall (not just a fixture having, for example, (75) 2w chips that draws less from the wall). However, a good LED can perform comparable to an HPS using LESS watts, which is what makes them cheaper to run, but usually after a much higher up-front cost.

Ah ok, just came across one and considered it, everything here has to be ordered online so seeing this one locally was a surprise.
I have no tent yet, currently in a 3' x 2' x 8' closet, was in a 4' x 4' but had to move the space.
I have 2 plants going now but hope to start 2 more soon. Obviously I'll be upping the space and may get an actual tent, a 4' x 4' x 6' is what I'm in the market for.

Ah ok, just came across one and considered it, everything here has to be ordered online so seeing this one locally was a surprise.
I have no tent yet, currently in a 3' x 2' x 8' closet, was in a 4' x 4' but had to move the space.
I have 2 plants going now but hope to start 2 more soon. Obviously I'll be upping the space and may get an actual tent, a 4' x 4' x 6' is what I'm in the market for.
You should shoot for a minimum of 35-50+ W per square foot of growing space. So, for a 2' x 3' space (6 sqft) you'd want around 250+ W and for a 4' x 4' I'd go with a least 600w. Many growers will use 1,000+w in a 4' x 4' space!

You should shoot for a minimum of 35-50+ W per square foot of growing space. So, for a 2' x 3' space (6 sqft) you'd want around 250+ W and for a 4' x 4' I'd go with a least 600w. Many growers will use 1,000+w in a 4' x 4' space!
Thanks for that info, I was wondering how growers determined what was appropriate for a certain sized space.

:passitleft:

Well guess what I came across for sale on a local buy and sell page on another media site, and used, a 600w led grow light with a veg and bloom switch! $60! Messaged the seller and hope it goes through and as a bonus he may have some dwc gear for sale too!

Well guess what I came across for sale on a local buy and sell page on another media site, and used, a 600w led grow light with a veg and bloom switch! $60! Messaged the seller and hope it goes through and as a bonus he may have some dwc gear for sale too!
Just take a close look at the actual power draw from the wall which, I'm guessing, is about 50% of that, or less. LED manufacturers never drive the unit to the full spec's to reduce heat and extend component life. So, they make a fixture that has, for example, 120 5w LED diodes and advertise it as a 600w HPS replacement (120 x 5w), but a close look at the spec's will show it only draws something like 280w from the wall, so is closer to a 250w HPS replacement. ;)

BTW, that LED may be a great light and not suggesting you shouldn't buy it, but you'd likely want at least two, if not three, in a 4' x 4' space. ;)
@Mr. Krip makes a very good point here, i started out with 2 LEDs and added a third (all together, professing 2800w) but actually runs at 875W draw for my 4x4.

(Of course, now im looking at QB for a 4x4 flower coverage. Shiny things, eh!!!)

Thanks everyone for the great info, I'll definitely look at those specs regarding the draw from the wall!

Happy growing!

Back
Top Bottom