HPS to LED in mid flower: good idea or not?

Bearded Budz

Hey y all, so I ve recently purchased a pair of 1200 w led lights, I am currently running 1000w hps in the flower room and cfl s in the veg room. I wanting to cycle out the 1000w hps for the 2 1200 w leds but am kinda worried about shocking/stressing the plants in flower since one s at day80 and the other is like day 45, plus any other adverse effect s doing this mid/end flower?
I ve also read that going from cfl or hid in veg too led in flower is a big NO NO..... led veg and led flower is the only way to do it “they” say. Any info or advise on this issue would be greatly appreciated thanks

Hey y all, so I ve recently purchased a pair of 1200 w led lights, I am currently running 1000w hps in the flower room and cfl s in the veg room. I wanting to cycle out the 1000w hps for the 2 1200 w leds but am kinda worried about shocking/stressing the plants in flower since one s at day80 and the other is like day 45, plus any other adverse effect s doing this mid/end flower?
I ve also read that going from cfl or hid in veg too led in flower is a big NO NO..... led veg and led flower is the only way to do it “they” say. Any info or advise on this issue would be greatly appreciated thanks
Do not change in the middle keep the hps going and finish may put it in shock and stop right where it has grown to.! I use cfl for seedlings only , then to a cheap 1200watt led $120 for the veg , and a kind k5 750 watt supplemented with 4 -600 watt leds for $189 each and I know it’s an over kill I like my buds 18-24” full from top to bottom of the stalk . The one that’s 80 days? my terps would go from amber to black??

Game plan so far is to run them all together but slowly dial down the hps slowly over the nex t week or two... I’m at 750w on the hps.

Kinda wish the Led s had a dimmer option, I do have a dimable plug-in switch..... wonder how that might work?! Lol wouldn’t want to mess up theses new lights on a hair brain stonner moment! What are y all z thought s on the topic????

dimmable switch likely not potentiometer based and will probably fry something. used to grow soil and switched them up all the time under 3 different light types no problem. not all led are equal. there are some real crap brands out there. others have gotten lucky with cheap chinese knockoff junk. super roll of the dice imo unless you know what you are dealing with.

Thanks for the advice man, yea I “just” set the two new leds up in the flower room with the hps and just turned the hps down to 750w and planned to kinda phase it out slowly if things went well..... but now ya got me worried. This strain I happen to have going has a super strong sion and love s any shit and abuse you give her in veg, usually in the 13-16 oz. mark per plant..... but yea no kidding on it being a late finisher, I DO just take em from veg and throw em right into flower and start counting from there though. Just checked trichome s today and they are glowing white with maybe 3 percent amber.... I m gonna give her another week maybe.
Ohh the strain is Fallen Angel btw.
What do ya figure about phaseing out the hps with the leds running at the same time? Maybe I should put the leds in the veg room? Just really want to get away from the heat and power used with the hps...

Great, ok thanks so much for the input! Yea I did do a bunch of research and kept an eye out for a 5 star product review when I was hunting. That switch is actually used for fan speed control in the room but your right and thanks for the nudge in the right direction, muchly appreciated!
Just trying to get away from the heat and cost of the hps, but if I ve gotta sacrifice any production they might get used in veg...

Thanks for the advice man, yea I “just” set the two new leds up in the flower room with the hps and just turned the hps down to 750w and planned to kinda phase it out slowly if things went well..... but now ya got me worried. This strain I happen to have going has a super strong sion and love s any shit and abuse you give her in veg, usually in the 13-16 oz. mark per plant..... but yea no kidding on it being a late finisher, I DO just take em from veg and throw em right into flower and start counting from there though. Just checked trichome s today and they are glowing white with maybe 3 percent amber.... I m gonna give her another week maybe.
Ohh the strain is Fallen Angel btw.
What do ya figure about phaseing out the hps with the leds running at the same time? Maybe I should put the leds in the veg room? Just really want to get away from the heat and power used with the hps...
My neighbor uses 600w hps and supplements his with led lighting still bad ass weed with thicker buds (as good as mine) but he grows his till every last terp has turned amber ,couch lock but also don’t like the taste when grown too long! You say about 3% amber haze I say if it shows up at all you still have a flush if growing hydro and I’m spoiled on a 3 day flush that week long takes the flavor out of it . Was I any help here been on leds for 3 years now .

Lots of help bud! Yea any feed back is sponged up forsure, not a lot of opportunity to mix it up with a fellow grower so I appreciate every word.
I grow in pro mix with 7 gal geo pots, been streamlineing to the 4 plant limit here coming into effect soon..... just been practicing for the day these past few yrs with a perpetual grow . Did a big flush about a week and a half ago and just been watering ever since. Just the way I ve always done it I guess. Seems to still allow a nice range from strain to strain in regard to the terps with a wide variety of flavours and tastes.

Sorry didn’t see the response, new here checking the site out ! I hadn’t tried the pots yet was lucky enough to have a 10 1/2’ ceiling height for the kind led in the 5x5x8’ grow tent couldn’t get the light far enough away, always had a pattern I found out was light burn. Built an 8x5’ x10 1/2’ room and the burn went away on the next grow but I have to watch it close as when to slowly move it up ,this last I got a little burn because I forgot to get it done! I understand the strain to strain some I’m told you have to turn the lights down hadn’t had one yet . The autos are always the no problems. You have a brand of weed I haven’t seen yet in your grow room , I’m fixing to go to some of these seed advertising to plan all new seeds , some 30+% THC !

I would switch to the leds particularly if they have a uv component. Even better at this point would be switching from the hps to metal halide if you have one. I personally don’t like the spectrum of hps, even though I just used it for the first 5 weeks of plant life, before switching to 1000w mh in my present grow.

I don't think they'll mind the switch. Just a guess no science behind it. As long as the light schedule stays the same, a different light spectrum or additional whatever, shouldn't be an issue. I have a room I've run where plants in flower are moved every three weeks. First under CMH, then HPS. Finally I finished them under leds. The UV from the leds complimented the other lights if you ask me. Don't sweat the small stuff they're adaptable plants.

I would switch to the leds particularly if they have a uv component. Even better at this point would be switching from the hps to metal halide if you have one. I personally don’t like the spectrum of hps, even though I just used it for the first 5 weeks of plant life, before switching to 1000w mh in my present grow.

The LED s do have the uva and b component s so I guess I m lucky there.
Pretty sure you got those mixed up, hps spectrum is for flowering and mh for vegging..... I use to mixes those two up in my head all the time, until my bulb blew for the first time and I had to hustle on finding a new one! Thanks for the feedback, muchly appreciated

I don't think they'll mind the switch. Just a guess no science behind it. As long as the light schedule stays the same, a different light spectrum or additional whatever, shouldn't be an issue. I have a room I've run where plants in flower are moved every three weeks. First under CMH, then HPS. Finally I finished them under leds. The UV from the leds complimented the other lights if you ask me. Don't sweat the small stuff they're adaptable plants.

Thanks man I do feel better now, and the combo of the 3 lights make for one hell of a light show, sure see all the little pin holes in the plastic now! Got that hps at 750w with a1200w LED in the two opposite corners in a 7’ by 7’ room and two plants.... little over kill but those 1 lb plants end up rather large and unruly.
Hey I was checking out your perpetual journal and your non 420 garden, very impressed! We do a lot of the same thing s around here, me and the wife and kid love gardening. I actually built a huge raised bed for a garden ( 20’-20’ in a U shape with a 4’-12’ bed in the middle, stands about 22” ) had a pretty short season here but what we did get was killer. The pantry is bulging full, well not AS full, friends and family have hit er up pretty hard! Biggest hit this year was our crab apple hot pepper jelly, eat it with cream cheese and crackers with a few beers or wine! I ve also had some dang good pepper plants the past 2 yrs after starting em off in the veg room, not so much with tomatoes.... which I found weird since I thought weed and tomatoes were so similar in make up hahaha, not sure if I DO have the green thumb or just beginners luck.

The LED s do have the uva and b component s so I guess I m lucky there.
Pretty sure you got those mixed up, hps spectrum is for flowering and mh for vegging..... I use to mixes those two up in my head all the time, until my bulb blew for the first time and I had to hustle on finding a new one! Thanks for the feedback, muchly appreciated

I experimented this grow with my lighting. I normally use mh for the full growth cycle because of the superior light spectrum. This time I started with the hps right from seedlings to try and avoid the shade avoidance response (seedling flops over and writhes around the ground for several weeks) I get under mh. I prefer metal halide in flowering because of the high uv.

There is a lot more to it in the world of chemical lights. The real important stuff is the bulb, ballast and hood setup you use. It is very easy to drop 45% light efficiancy reducing your yields and quality effectively by 45% and slowing growth by not doing basic maintenance and having good lighting.

Top notch bulbs that put out 15 % more on wider spectrum that cost twice as much are worth it.

Digital ballasts that have 90 plus % efficiancy which are dimmable to set the temps and distance you want are key.

Using good lights correctly... not having glass in the way, small hoods...the list goes on...but a good setup can be easily 45% better yielding same exact lighting methods.

Doing things correct is more important. Buy an expensive bulb and ballast and you will be extremely happy.

Dont fuck around with lighting.

Thanks man I do feel better now, and the combo of the 3 lights make for one hell of a light show, sure see all the little pin holes in the plastic now! Got that hps at 750w with a1200w LED in the two opposite corners in a 7’ by 7’ room and two plants.... little over kill but those 1 lb plants end up rather large and unruly.
Hey I was checking out your perpetual journal and your non 420 garden, very impressed! We do a lot of the same thing s around here, me and the wife and kid love gardening. I actually built a huge raised bed for a garden ( 20’-20’ in a U shape with a 4’-12’ bed in the middle, stands about 22” ) had a pretty short season here but what we did get was killer. The pantry is bulging full, well not AS full, friends and family have hit er up pretty hard! Biggest hit this year was our crab apple hot pepper jelly, eat it with cream cheese and crackers with a few beers or wine! I ve also had some dang good pepper plants the past 2 yrs after starting em off in the veg room, not so much with tomatoes.... which I found weird since I thought weed and tomatoes were so similar in make up hahaha, not sure if I DO have the green thumb or just beginners luck.

Thanks, I appreciate you checking things out. My non 420 gardens are really my focus now. I get to look at a few flower rooms, but long before I grew cannabis, I was a tomato farmer... ;)

I do like my peppers too, and combined together it's pretty sweet. I canned 35 jars of salsa yesterday. All from my garden. ;)

Maybe one day if your local we can sesh and i'll give you a jar....

Maybe

Oh wow really hey, that’s very interesting.... I’d sure love to see a time laps of that whole prosess!

It would be something to watch. I didn’t see that this grow using the hps. Mind you these seedlings weren’t infected with stem rot (I wonder if they were writhing in pain) and I propped them up.

Thanks, I appreciate you checking things out. My non 420 gardens are really my focus now. I get to look at a few flower rooms, but long before I grew cannabis, I was a tomato farmer... ;)

I do like my peppers too, and combined together it's pretty sweet. I canned 35 jars of salsa yesterday. All from my garden. ;)

Maybe one day if your local we can sesh and i'll give you a jar....

Maybe

Yea man that sound great, we can swap salsa s! We make a hot one and a sweet one but not 35 jars! Not this year anyway, had a super hot year up Nort here in Canada ..... guess it was dang hot everywhere, thanks you global warming ehh (that’s a real Canadian “ehh” too) hahaha
We ended up with a crazy amount of crab apples in the area so that got used a lot.... actually one night me and mama raided the neighbor s trees ( we were half in the bag and the house is abandoned so it was ok) and made Apple Pie filling and canned it. Sooo dang good, it hasn’t made it to a pie yet but sure is good on ice cream!!
What part of the world do ya farm/live er up?

From personal experience, I switched from 4 x 315w CMH fixtures just before i switched to flower, to 1920w of Citizen clu048 1212 cobs ( 24 x 3500 and 12 x 3000k, only ran at 1200w ) in a 2.4 x 1.2m tent, and it shocked the shit out of the plants and they just stalled for 10 days.

I dont know the science behind it, and im not gonna proclaim to be an expert grower, ive rand HPS, MH, CMH, COBS and QBs, but I wouldnt do it again.

Anyone know why ?

I got rid of the CMH's and veg with QB's and flower with COBS now.

Back
Top Bottom