HPS vs LED Your Thoughts!

Does anyone use HPS anymore? Everybody has switched to LED's ... Going through the grow journals I have only seen a few people using hps

I am using both for winter

IMG_153213.JPG

:Namaste:

I bought into the LED lights 4-5 years ago,it was shit.BUT i believe in todays lights,and the price is dropping,for me its about economics

4x600 hps rigs = aproxx 2g;s(ballast bulb hood)
or 1 "high end" LED FOR 1300--2G RANGE

I have 1 znet 9(from a sponsor,here) that is suppose to equal my 600,if it test true,then i will by 3 more and switch over.As of now,I think it will take 6 unit to equal the 4,but its not finished.

there was 1 grower that grew in a pretty good size space(like yours sphnx),haven't seen them on in a while---search for kushington farms

---
In my case I like the hps for the heat,I draw the air from my hoods and heat the adjacent room,with out these I will have to use a portable heater,aprox 750-1500wt.

I'm still using HPS, vented and works just fine, but would like to reduce my power usage if at all possible someday.

LED is getting alot of use here, I am particularly interested in the Curso's and tavaros journals right now.

For me the road block is price...I'll need 3 minimum of the 600's and most likely 4 to be light and space sufficient.

$2200 and change

good thread,

this quote from c526 sums it up for me,
"In my case I like the hps for the heat,I draw the air from my hoods and heat the adjacent room,with out these I will have to use a portable heater,aprox 750-1500wt. "

in my particular situation I would never switch from HPS to Led. then I would have to run more heat which is quite a power draw. It seems, in my limited experience, that LED is great technology for warmer climates (less heat) and also uses less power which would be nice.

I rarely see "pro" grows using Led's, HPS seems to be the tried and true standard that any new technology has to try to at least compare to. I also once flowered under only MH, which was pretty dumb. :)

I also hate the crazy glow from led's, which doesn't really matter, im just a bit strange like that.

felt like throwing in my 2cent piece, then rereading my post I didn't really add much. oh well..

good thread,

this quote from c526 sums it up for me,
"In my case I like the hps for the heat,I draw the air from my hoods and heat the adjacent room,with out these I will have to use a portable heater,aprox 750-1500wt. "

in my particular situation I would never switch from HPS to Led. then I would have to run more heat which is quite a power draw. It seems, in my limited experience, that LED is great technology for warmer climates (less heat) and also uses less power which would be nice.

I rarely see "pro" grows using Led's, HPS seems to be the tried and true standard that any new technology has to try to at least compare to. I also once flowered under only MH, which was pretty dumb. :)

I also hate the crazy glow from led's, which doesn't really matter, im just a bit strange like that.

felt like throwing in my 2cent piece, then rereading my post I didn't really add much. oh well..

It's all good buddy. I hate that glow too. It's weird. Plus I like the be able to see my plants for what they are under the hps instead of that glowing purple. Don't get me wrong, I'm considering doing a hybrid lighting situation LED's and HPS. LED's for the lower stuff would be awesome. Turn that 4 ounce plant into a 5 or 6 ounce plant, but on a greater scale :)

I want a LED and HPS rep to come in here and put some professional input in here :)

Are there any HPS reps on here? Hortilux by chance?

im afraid we wont get that sphnx,and besides,id rather have growers experience over the salesmen.

I hope that the small led I bought works out,In my current position,I cant flower in summer,Unless i run the minisplit,and I dont like that power bill.

my hopes are to use led in the summer,from june-oct,then hps for the rest of the year.

c526,
same here except im too cheap for AC. I have an 8 month indoor growing season using HPS and minimal additional heat, and for my purposes that's more than sufficient. I remember kushington farms journals, impressive set up that guy had, but... he was sponsored fully by Lush LED, so I wonder if he was setting up a room on his own nickel, would he have chose the LED's over HPS?

my gut feeling with this topic, is the people who have been growing for some time already know what they like, and the boom we are seeing in led use is based on many many new growers getting started and lots and lots of marketing for LED technology.

I don't see my self ever switching away from what is working for me, why bother?

no,I didnt know that was a sponsored room,I know I couldn't justify the cost,those lush lights produce awesome specimens,but I wouldn't swing the nickel.to pay out of pocket for that setup

I only have the mini split because a friend fell on hard times,as soon as i hooked it up to the kill-a-watt meter,It didnt get used very often.

my power is cheap,but im even cheaper hahahaha

PLUS! I've noticed that the stem growth is better with LED's. Which I do not want. I don't want some thick stemmed, medium sized buds.... I like how fat my buds get compared to the stems....

I am not sure I replied to this thread yet :roorrip:. I have been growing under all sorts of light HPS, MH, CFL, and LED. I have a HPS in the back of my bloom room mainly for heat but more for the entries to the perpetual room than land under that until they find a nice spot under LED. I am now testing the Osram clusters from Budmaster. I after years of LED am blown away. You actually have the headroom to really take these lights to their full potential. LED for me has produced frosty, terpene packed, tight nugs that are a "better product". However as I tested different panels it was obvious that really tasty frost weed could be grown under an inexpensive reflector panel but not a lot of it :cheesygrinsmiley: this panel has changed that. I wish I had a 10' room check this

675godpar3.jpg

edit -- I think this panel draws 400 watts

I was cooking these at 2' but they still did well (could have done better and were pulled early due to bud rot scare)

20141018_233320_BID_bc.jpg

20141018_235932_bid_bc.jpg

This was my first run under, I have a haze under now but she was end of life and mostly flowered under the original Budmaster

DSC_7271_hz.JPG

I am going to put a hard one to flower under next (a blueberry) and maybe a blue moon --- shine.

Anyhow the tastiest product I can produce comes from my LED flowered girls. The benefit of more weight has only just made a difference for me. My mom (in her 80's) has started using medical marijuana (legally of course) but she can not grow or afford it... so now the power of the new clusters will make a big difference.

Anywhoo I think you know by now I prefer LED :cheesygrinsmiley: you will reduce your power consumption, reduce your nutrient consumption, reduce water consumption. You will increase the quality of your product and maybe quantity (I have another grow or two to feel that out)

Hi,

Good thread.

I started with 600HPS. Was unsure about the LED's. Now I kinda wished I had gone for them, but the HPS seems to be working (first grow).

If I ever wanted to get an equivelent in LED, what size do I need? I believe that power consumption would drop a lot.

Just from what I've gathered on LED's you would probably need a 300 or 400w LED panel to replace the 600w.

Just from what I've gathered on LED's you would probably need a 300 or 400w LED panel to replace the 600w.

Actually.. 420 member theengineer has done his own side by side comparison of our P450 vs a 600W HPS and has shown that not only did the P450 running 274w~ keep up with the 600w HPS.. it outperformed it by way of tighter internodal growth and more advanced flowering. Check out his side by side photos here: TheEngineer - Grow Journal #1

In fact.. he liked it so much, he pulled the 600w HPS and bought another P300 to fill in :)

Here's a shot of two identical plants in every way. Both started under the 600w HPS and then one of them moved to under the P450 for 7 days. After only 7 days, here are the differences:

HPS:
DSC016344.JPG

vs.

LED:
DSC0163012.JPG

It's an example though that once again.. you cannot equate growing power or intensity levels of LED grow lights to their wattage consumption. You're working with drivers and diodes.. and many different grades and types of drivers and diodes.

You need to look at the individual light, the spectral emission and the overall PAR emitted vs watts consumed. There is a HUGE difference in quality and emission from one to another.. and you get what you pay for.. and this goes both ways. Any little money you spend on cheaper lights will only come back to cost you very dearly in the short and long run with vastly decreased yield, increased power consumption, increased canopy temps, safety issues, etc etc

:peace:

They sure can!

Almost 2 lbs off of just ONE plant...

Just saying.. :ganjamon:

There is a difference. A HUGE difference in LED lights.. and it pays to do it right..

IMG_68873.JPG

IMG_69414.JPG

IMG_69374.JPG

..and not only quantity, but quality. Trichs? We haz them!

Only on day 31 here under 2 x P600 lights:

image15056.jpg

image15059.jpg

image15057.jpg

There's just no replacement for a finely tuned spectral emission that bathes plants in the lights they want.. and the light that makes them perform to their finest..

image15132.jpg

Those pictures are all great, as far as growing for dispensaries... I need bigger buds. Those buds are small only the tops are fat. Which all of those have to be broken down anyway to decrease the stem weight... They are incredibly frosty but HPS seems to pump out a better product. The HPS allows the plant to stretch like it needs to to allow light in to all nugs, not just tops. Smaller stems, less stem weight. More bud to smoke. LED's to me are good for closet grows, tents, and small rooms.

The biggest cola in my hand there consisted of 6 nugs, whole thing weighed 24g's and was 16" or 17" long...

IMG_51313.JPG

20130322_025305.jpg
20130322_025142.jpg
20130322_025105.jpg
20130322_025030.jpg
20130322_025551.jpg
20130322_025454.jpg
20130322_024014.jpg
20130322_024023.jpg
20130322_024417.jpg
20121212_042454.jpg
20121212_042641.jpg
20121212_042608.jpg
IMG_41932.jpg

Just cuz this turned into show and tell ;)

Edit: those were all grown under 600w hps.
Edit: 3 week veg from clone.

Back
Top Bottom