Hubba Hubba! Bubba Hash & The Bright Lights Of Redemption: Amy's Indoor v2.0 With DBHBB

Cheap timer and a pump and let it water itself.
What do you do with runoff? Or do you just not water it that much?
You have to plan for that but that’s not to difficult
Could be as simple as a large saucer, some peeps use buckets with a grate on top. I always used flood trays which are simple to work with.
I’l investigate some options. I wont be able to manage any kind of volume of water - water is heavy. The water everyday part is a potential liability for the whole idea of coco for me.
Amy, when you make Candida oil what’s the measurement you use, and how do you calculate the CBD values without testing?

You have me ready to make my first batch of Candida oil and get on with the regimen already. I’ll want my oil at an 8:1 CBD dominance to positively effect compulsive behavior and I suddenly realized I have no idea what Candida can reasonably be expected to offer.

OK - its all estimates. Oldbear’s spreadsheet operated by Shed on my behalf is how the calculating takes place - and the Candida is said to be 14-20%CBD, depending on phenotype. So, I most definitley had a “sativa” type and felt like it finished well really so was comfortable estimating it at 18%CBD. The spreadsheet uses 85% for production efficiency if using the MB2 and 80% in using the oven jar infusion. I use about 1 gram of bud per ounce of oil and it comes out at around 5-6mg per ml of oil (5.5mg/ml let’s say).

You can see that there is a lot of rough estimation and educated guessing going on there - which is as good as we can get without easy access to a lab. Shed is perhaps going to test his oil in the future (he has some candida flower in for testing now) so that might give us some kind of ball park.

I don’t know how accurate we are - but i do know there’s something in there becasue it’s potent and at 1 gr bud/oz of oil it won’t ever be more than 8-10mg/ml and I’d doubt it’d get that strong, so the 5-5mg/ml actually ‘feels’ like it’s about right, if that makes sense.

So it’s the same as we use for hempy, and the same passive hydro approach. Coco supports a microbiome so beautifully this should be fun to watch. @Amy Gardner, is the nutrient line organic?
As I understand it, Coco growing is just passive hydro. I’m lookin at a few but thinking to get it locally and what they sell is the Canna products, They do have an organic line so I’m going to talk to him about that. It’s not clear from the info if their organic line works in straight coco or whether it needs a slightly ammended soil (i.e., not an innert media).

Anything that will hold runoff, set the pot on a cup or something so the pot is above the saucer.
:thumb: I’ve got these Air-Pots and they stand on themselves with the bottom about 2” off the floor/tray. I got the proper ones, been saving for them. They’re made from recycled plastics and the way that single use plastic is chocking the planet I decided I’d support their initiative - plus, they’re very good pots! I’ll get more over time - but they’re spendy so for now just 2 little ones (think they’re 2.5 gal)
I'm into it...
:high-five::popcorn:

:welcome: Seedling. Make yourself comfy for a cosy winter grow :passitleft:

Oh - and
Glad to be here.
:welcome: my friend! :ganjamon: glad for you to be here, too

...phewf! That was a lot to catch up on!

Shed is perhaps going to test his oil in the future (he has some candida flower in for testing now) so that might give us some kind of ball park.
Actually, I have the Candida oil out for testing right now. I don't think I'll bother to test the flower because the oil is what I need to have numbers on for blending purposes. Also, it's completely homogenized whereas one flower may differ from another.

But since I know what my mix numbers going in are I can back into a flower estimate when I get the results.

Actually, I have the Candida oil out for testing right now. I don't think I'll bother to test the flower because the oil is what I need to have numbers on for blending purposes. Also, it's completely homogenized whereas one flower may differ from another.

But since I know what my mix numbers going in are I can back into a flower estimate when I get the results.

Thank you. :hug:

Damn page three?! Oh well I’m here AG :high-five::thanks: For having us!
Passive hydro huh? Careful SweetSue is a wonderful Hempy salesperson :laugh: I’ve got two buckets in my tent right now to prove it lol. I’m gonna give some autos a shot in them first. The goal will be to just survive to harvest haha!

I’m excited to watch this indoor grow! Amy, I’ve never heard any interest from you about cloning. Is that something you would be interested in? I wouldn’t blame you if you aren’t interested. I wouldn’t be cloning either if my seedlings looked as fine as your Bubba there!

Archi! :welcome: Thanks man - I knew you’d be along :ganjamon::passitleft:

Oh for sure i dream of a perpetual setup where cloning and keeping a favoured line is possible. At some level its a question of power consumption and on another, a question of my capacity. That said, as I get better at growing like this (i.e., properly with some understanding) I get more streamlined with it and things get easier. I’m also improving a little thanks to the medicine so it’s in my future for sure.

Careful SweetSue is a wonderful Hempy salesperson :laugh: I’ve got two buckets in my tent right now to prove it lol.
:laughtwo: I can see that that’s true. Fair warning! I have a kind of aversion to perlite though, so that might save me

I’m also improving a little thanks to the medicine so it’s in my future for sure.
That’s great! I’d love to see you be able to hold on to a plant if you find one that is an all out keeper :high-five:
I have a kind of aversion to perlite though, so that might save me
Oh I thought you love perlite? That’s what Shed said lol!!:laugh:

Make sure to watch my attempt then, I’ll be in hydroton rather than perlite. Doc Doob was just saying he’s landed on some real chunky perlite. I’m hoping some chunky hydroton will work out okay.

Amy etal I think we need to rethink the 80% production efficiency variable. It could be as low as 40%.

This thinking is based on doing a 2nd run using the same mash, and finding that it is as strong and effective as the first run. Then when I consume the 2nd run leftovers, there is still a cannabinoid kick.

The actual extraction efficiency is not really important if you use it all, but if people are throwing out the mash, then it matters.

Hi again @Oldbear :hug:
I am still in my infancy regarding oil-making and as a result I haven’t quite started looking to heavily at what my oil potency has been.
I’m aware of your spreadsheet, it’s basically legend at this point, and I always wondered about the efficiency.
When you do a run of oil, are you squeezing the piss out of it each time you strain it? I have that glove and strainer bag that comes with the Magic Butter machine and it’s been my favorite way to strain and squeeze the mash.

Cheers!

Amy etal I think we need to rethink the 80% production efficiency variable. It could be as low as 40%.

This thinking is based on doing a 2nd run using the same mash, and finding that it is as strong and effective as the first run. Then when I consume the 2nd run leftovers, there is still a cannabinoid kick.

The actual extraction efficiency is not really important if you use it all, but if people are throwing out the mash, then it matters.
Interesting point Mr. Spreadsheet Originator! I have some Candida infused EVOO out for analysis now, but without spending more money getting the buds analyzed there's no way to get an accurate estimate on the efficiency unfortunately.
Hi again @Oldbear :hug:
I am still in my infancy regarding oil-making and as a result I haven’t quite started looking to heavily at what my oil potency has been.
I’m aware of your spreadsheet, it’s basically legend at this point, and I always wondered about the efficiency.
When you do a run of oil, are you squeezing the piss out of it each time you strain it? I have that glove and strainer bag that comes with the Magic Butter machine and it’s been my favorite way to strain and squeeze the mash.
Cheers!
I just wanted to point out that the efficiency number is unrelated to how much oil you can squeeze out of the bud at the end. The efficiency rating rates the percentage of the trichomes are infused into the oil rather than left on the plant material.

Whatever you manage to squeeze out, either with your hands, a ricer, or some sort of press, the efficiency of the production is the same.

Cheers!

Delighted to hear people are getting benefit from the spreadsheet. The motivation came from the Holy Grail thread.

Between run 1 and 2 I don’t do anything. After run 2, I’ll let it gravity drain overnight.

If I wasn’t using the mash I would do a big squeeze.

Did somebody say Autos?

:popcorn:
:high-five: I have all these free seeds! It makes me want to learn how to grow them well :) and I want to do it in little pots so it’s physically easy for me.

:welcome: Agemon :passitleft: I was poised to come looking for you if you hadn’t found your way here soon.

Busy place :party:
IKR! :welcome: Oldbear
I brought some popcorn :popcorn: plus some chocolate covered budlets to share.

Oh my they look delicious! And so beautiful! :love: And you can never have too much popcorn :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

getting the buds analyzed there's no way to get an accurate estimate on the efficiency unfortunately.
Except that, if rough calculations lead us to expect something close 6mg/ml, e.g., and it tests at 3mg/ml, then 40% efficiency would be in the ballpark perhaps - with the caveat that the cannabinoid level of the raw bud is an estimate.

I know that Samantha Miller from Pure Analytics has said she has seen huge variance in DIY infusions and extractions.

I am almost certain that solventless extraction is my next step. I havent started researching it yet - except watching Dutch’s videos :drool: and few other on the tube. And I have started slowly reading Grandpa Tokin’s thread. And the lovely other is really into the idea for us for the oil making so I have full home support. Just get this small pot aspect of the growing sorted out and then I start saving for a press :slide:

Interesting point Mr. Spreadsheet Originator! I have some Candida infused EVOO out for analysis now, but without spending more money getting the buds analyzed there's no way to get an accurate estimate on the efficiency unfortunately.

I just wanted to point out that the efficiency number is unrelated to how much oil you can squeeze out of the bud at the end. The efficiency rating rates the percentage of the trichomes are infused into the oil rather than left on the plant material.

Whatever you manage to squeeze out, either with your hands, a ricer, or some sort of press, the efficiency of the production is the same.

Hmmm this triggers a thought. Lets say I run a batch with 200 ml of oil (100ml x 2 extractions). If I measure how much oil has been squeezed / drained out, the difference is how much oil remains in the mash. Lets say I get 180ml out without too much effort. Is it worth it to super squeeze that remainder out? Probably.

The mash also contains whatever cannabinoids were not absorbed into the oil. Finding creative ways to use the mash means I'm not losing anything.

No cannabinoids left behind.

Except that, if rough calculations lead us to expect something close 6mg/ml, e.g., and it tests at 3mg/ml, then 40% efficiency would be in the ballpark perhaps - with the caveat that the cannabinoid level of the raw bud is an estimate.
I know that Samantha Miller from Pure Analytics has said she has seen huge variance in DIY infusions and extractions.
I am almost certain that solventless extraction is my next step. I havent started researching it yet - except watching Dutch’s videos and few other on the tube. And I have started slowly reading Grandpa Tokin’s thread. And the lovely other is really into the idea for us for the oil making so I have full home support. Just get this small pot aspect of the growing sorted out and then I start saving for a press
A press would be ideal, or access to high-proof alcohol and a table-top distiller. My feeling is that QWET is the closest to 100% efficiency I could get at home. Even the pressers are saving their mash for QWET over in Grandpa's press thread.

My concern is that with two variables (efficiency and bud content) it's a crap shoot. The difference between MMG's specs of 11-20% CBD is a 100% difference, so without testing the buds (which the testing place told me has its own variances) I could be off by a lot. That's one of the reasons I got the oil tested (end product) and not the buds. If I am consistent in my oil making with these buds, the oil should also be consistent from batch to batch.

I have an estimate of 11.86 mg CBD/ml oil with an estimate at 15% CBD in the buds and an 85% efficiency ratio based on the 6 hour run/overnight cool/8 hour run in the MB2. We'll see if I'm anywhere close, and I'll report back here of course!

No cannabinoids left behind.
I save my THC mash and try to use it for something, though I tossed the Candida mash when I was done with the run. I figured I got all the CBD I was going to get, and that's all I was really after.
So would we be advised to to a second run and mix the 2 together? Or would that actually potentially dilute the final blend, if the second infusion is weaker perhaps? :hmmmm: One day there will be a device that tests our oil for us at home. I’m sure of it :)
I think if you mixed them together you would just get the average cannabinoid content of both. So if the second run is weaker then you would indeed lower the average. Chris has a home testing system he relies on with test strips. I may send some oil to him and have him use his kit to see if it matches the lab's results.

or access to high-proof alcohol and a table-top distiller
The high-proof i cannot get here, not anywhere - and actually i have no interest in the process. So while I could get lower proof and distil it to make my own high-proof, at this point the whole process is really unappealing to me.
. If I am consistent in my oil making with these buds, the oil should also be consistent.
:thumb: Exactly!
We'll see if I'm anywhere close, and I'll report back here of course!
Counting on it!

I’ve avoided making edibles with the leftover mash partly because it’s lots more work and i’m limited, and because i dont eat cakes and cookies so much (and you cant make gummies with mash!) but also because the potential potency is so random. Even with our guesstimating being potentially way off, at least I know my doses are consistent and I seem to get about the same strength each time i make a batch :). Maybe that means the leftover mash will also be consistent :hmmmm: . In the future I’ll try to plan ahead to do a brownie run - maybe before someone I know goes to a big forest doof party or music festival or something! A friend shared some of my oil with a few folks a festival recently and said that one guy came back to him 4 hours later saying “man! I haven’t had to take or smoke anything else and I’m having the best day!” Always nice to hear of things like this happening with something you’ve made.

Back
Top Bottom