Humidity dome - Am I doing it right?

kaivorth

I have a small plastic shot glass that I'm using to start my first grow. I have it currently sitting in a thin layer of water in a Tupperware container. Then I put a plastic cup upside down on the shot glass, using the water to seal everything. Poked a hole or 2 in this plastic cup for venting to prevent mold. Sound about right?

The short answer is no. And I mean big time no!

Why not do something...anything...that has been proven a successful means for germination and or propagation?

Is there something about your seed stock that is very abnormal that would require you do something less than optimal?

There are for sure many documented ways for start a seed and most of them for cannabis are ridiculous. Cannabis is a plant that can be grown like all the rest. You can put a seed in moist but not damp soil and it will grow.

What you have described may be able to crack the husk but will not allow the sprout to grow. I have no idea where you read this method was reasonable but no reputable grower would recommended this. It isn't that it wont work...it is that it will be difficult to complete the process as compared to any other method proven to work well. This description you have provided us is way too much effort resulting in a stressed out sprout in the time of the plants life when it can't afford any amount of stress. This method you describe is not recommend by anyone who has decent experience. I just put down a bunch of seed in moist soil and in 4 days they surfaced all at the same time (3 different strains). Nothing special just normal soil with a small hole and moist not wet conditions. Johnny apple seed style. Poke a hole, drop the seed , cover it, lightly water it. There is nothing more to it.

Please try not to forget...

Anything you can think of that is reasonable has been tried by hundreds of people. If it were a successful method it would be well known and documented.

The short answer is no. And I mean big time no!

Why not do something...anything...that has been proven a successful means for germination and or propagation?

Is there something about your seed stock that is very abnormal that would require you do something less than optimal?

There are for sure many documented ways for start a seed and most of them for cannabis are ridiculous. Cannabis is a plant that can be grown like all the rest. You can put a seed in moist but not damp soil and it will grow.

What you have described may be able to crack the husk but will not allow the sprout to grow. I have no idea where you read this method was reasonable but no reputable grower would recommended this. It isn't that it wont work...it is that it will be difficult to complete the process as compared to any other method proven to work well. This description you have provided us is way too much effort resulting in a stressed out sprout in the time of the plants life when it can't afford any amount of stress. This method you describe is not recommend by anyone who has decent experience. I just put down a bunch of seed in moist soil and in 4 days they surfaced all at the same time (3 different strains). Nothing special just normal soil with a small hole and moist not wet conditions. Johnny apple seed style. Poke a hole, drop the seed , cover it, lightly water it. There is nothing more to it.

Please try not to forget...

Anything you can think of that is reasonable has been tried by hundreds of people. If it were a successful method it would be well known and documented.

I don't think I was clear enough in my original post.

I already germinated my seeds using the paper towel method. It is already sprouted and growing, however the the humidity in my room is 16%.
The bowl with water in it and wet paper towel are not enough to bring the humidity up and I don't have a humidifier yet. What I posted above was hopefully an effective way to retain humidity temporarily until I get a humidifier.

It's working out beautifully so far and I'll be getting a humidifier in the next week.

Check back with us when you get powder mildew -- and the roots turn yellow and brown and start getting slimy.

There will someone here to help.

~ Auggie ~

VI hit the nail on the head what you have described will kill your baby there are things that are just as important if not more important than humidity such as air movement your method provides none it also sounds like you are going to drown that poor little girl which is why he told you to put it in some moist soil.

You can get some solo cups of different sizes and the smaller of the two being clear you can put holes in the bigger solo cup ando turn the smaller cup upside down on top of the other mini humidity dome and also vent the top

Back
Top Bottom