Hutch Grows Autoflowers In ProMix HP

Lamb's Breath (topped) Day 103, day 53 of flower
She didn't start to flower until day 50 but she has been packing it on ever since and I believe she is nearing end-of-life. Please let me know what you think...
IMG-1758.JPGIMG-1759.JPGIMG-1760.JPGIMG-1761.JPGIMG-1762.JPGIMG-1765.JPGIMG-1766.JPGIMG-1767.JPG
IMG-1780.JPG
IMG-1781.JPG

I see a little amber and the rest seem cloudy to me. What does anyone else see?

Can't tell the color of the trichs,but she's sure got a lot of 'em...she's looking yummy!

Yesterday the topped Lamb's Breath met it's end and is now hanging in the drying box.

Meanwhile I had removed a bud and dried it for a few days. Upon grinding and inspecting a calyx I found what seemed to be an immature SEED!!!! It was small but felt hard. Is there anything in a mature calyx that could be mistaken for an immature seed???

I have inspected the other Lamb's Breath and can find no male parts but that would be expected if one hermied and the other didn't. Would there be anything visible in the mature cola that would be a clue to seeds???

DO THESE FLOWERS LOOK NORMAL?

IMG-1796.JPG
IMG-1802.JPG
IMG-1803.JPG

I can't seem to get a good picture. Either blurry or overexposed but hopefully it's possible to see what's going on.

They look ok to me..a little foxtailing going on,but that doesn't mean there's seeds in there...
Chances are you would've found more than 1 if there's a real seed problem...seeded buds are just as potent as un seeded,and if you're going to grind it,you'll find them before they reach the joint, bong, or pipe.

I don’t see anything but the pollen sac will look like a small banana sticking out of the flower. Look down low and close to the main stalk.
Can't find anything but bud sites in the crotches. So far so good!

They look ok to me..a little foxtailing going on,but that doesn't mean there's seeds in there...
Chances are you would've found more than 1 if there's a real seed problem...seeded buds are just as potent as un seeded,and if you're going to grind it,you'll find them before they reach the joint, bong, or pipe.
Thanks for looking carcass. I was pretty depressed when I found whatever it was and couldn't stop thinking about it. I guess I'm too obsessed with these plants. Stepping back mentally I can see it's no big deal. There's only me and my wife and she thinks it's fantastic.

Speaking of foxtailing, does this go on indefinitely? Or should I ignore it and chop when the trichomes tell me to?

Some of my plants have started it when it's getting close to harvest,I've always just considered it pretty normal-it doesn't hurt anything,and the foxtails are covered in trichomes so they smoke just fine...
The buds aren't quite as pretty when they're foxtailing,but it's not a beauty contest...they're good to pluck off to do a little early "quality check" also.

We just had another smoke. It's great and I couldn't see any seeds. Gotta watch that sativa induced paranoia, lol. A whole day of wasted stress, lol. Happy again, which means the pot must be good, so I'll stop looking for problems and enjoy. Thanks Penny and carcass for helping me get through this. I think the yield will be better than the 27gm Amnesia but I'm not going to make the mistake of trying to count my unhatched chickens.

Gotta watch that sativa induced paranoia,
I hear you there...sativa smoke does that to me every time for
some reason...not actual paranoia,but just uneasy & a bit nervous the whole time...
That Lowryder I grew is too sativa for me,but my sons love it,so they're set for awhile...
Northern Lights will be a different story,though (100% indica) I'm growing that one for me...

Lamb's Breath (not topped) Day 98 (Day 61 of flower)
Today was the end for Lamb's Breath. There was quite a difference between the topped and untopped plants. The buds on the topped plant were light and airy while the untopped were dense and heavy and I believe the yields will be similar in weight. The topped plant was harvested last week and jarred today yielding 40.2gm dried. Very happy with that!

Here's the untopped plant just before harvest.
IMG-1809.JPG

And the harvest...
IMG-1810.JPG
IMG-1813.JPG

That big ol' cola weighed 53.4gm wet.

In a few days we will have a comparison yield weight but it is clear to me that the untopped plant was superior.

Tangie'matic
I have started two Tangie'matics in solo cups (couldn't start in final containers due to space limitations). One was topped on day 19 between 3rd and 4th nodes, the other has not been topped. The topping was done before the results of the Lamb's Breath experiment were complete, otherwise I would probably not have topped again. Anyway this will help determine, for me, whether it is worth it to top autoflowers. My two White Widows were topped long ago. One of these White Widows is quite mature and will come down in a couple of weeks. Its buds are dense and seem quite well-structured which explains why the topping controversy with autoflowers persists.

The topped Tangie will be going in a 3 gallon smartpot and the untopped Tangie will go in a 1 gallon to see how it does in small container. If the result is greater than 1/2 ounce then I will be planting more autos in 1 gallon pots as these can squeeze into tight spots in the tent. Also, I plan on transitioning to photos soon, so if the 1 gallon pots work out for me I'll be able to use-up those auto seeds while the big plants are filling up the rest of the tent.

Nice harvest,Hutch...that main cola is a doozie:bravo:

I've got a suggestion for your upcoming auto...it did pretty well for my lowryder,so it might be something to think about..
What you do is lst the branches,but let the main go until it looks too big to bend over,then you bend it over..slowly and carefully-it won't want to let you do it,so you've got to do it a little at a time,might take 10 minutes or so.
This puts all the branches into high gear immediately-no pause in growth at all- I did it at about three weeks into flowering,which I thought might make it not work well,but it did just the opposite...it will also help to keep the plant short and compact.
Here's a pic the day I "bent her over"

And here she is 4 days later...

You keep the branches tied down till they reach the edge of the pot,then let em go..but keep the main tied down for another few weeks after that,or longer if she tries to stand up again.
So you pretty much get the benefits of topping,without topping,or the growth pause that goes with it.
Just an idea for you...

Nice harvest,Hutch...that main cola is a doozie:bravo:

I've got a suggestion for your upcoming auto...it did pretty well for my lowryder,so it might be something to think about..
What you do is lst the branches,but let the main go until it looks too big to bend over,then you bend it over..slowly and carefully-it won't want to let you do it,so you've got to do it a little at a time,might take 10 minutes or so.
This puts all the branches into high gear immediately-no pause in growth at all- I did it at about three weeks into flowering,which I thought might make it not work well,but it did just the opposite...it will also help to keep the plant short and compact.
Here's a pic the day I "bent her over"

And here she is 4 days later...

You keep the branches tied down till they reach the edge of the pot,then let em go..but keep the main tied down for another few weeks after that,or longer if she tries to stand up again.
So you pretty much get the benefits of topping,without topping,or the growth pause that goes with it.
Just an idea for you...
Thanks Carcass! That looks like an interesting approach, autos are so sensitive. I like the idea of not having to pause. I was really aggressive with my younger White Widow. It is day 40 now and no sign of flower but she's nice and bushy with lots of branches. The other Widow was topped as well and has nice buds. I've heard some auto strains do better with topping than others but even some seed producers say don't top. Your approach seems like the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom