Hutch's Canadian Grow Comparison Featuring Black Sugar

HutchBenedict

Welcome to my grow journal of Seedsman's Black Sugar as part of the Canadian Grow Comparison. This should be a fun grow as we Canadians get to know each other and we share and compare our grow styles.

First, some info about Black Sugar from the Seedsman website:

A cross between a powerful indica, a potent medical strain and a modern classic, Black Sugar retains all of the best characteristics of its parents.

From its Black Domina line, this strain maintains an incomparable relaxing effect and fast flowering traits.

From its LA OG parent, Black Sugar offers potency and potential therapeutic benefits.

Finally, from its Critical lineage, this plant retains its short stature, making it an ideal strain for indoor, or limited space cultivation.

However, what Black Sugar lacks in stature, she more than makes up for in yield – where she can reach up to 600gr/m2.

With an intensely fruity aroma and dense bus covered in crystals, Black Sugar is a high-THC strain that ought not to be missed.

Grow Style
I grow in straight Promix HP, and therefore do not need to ph my tapwater.
I use only Megacrop for nutes from beginning to end so that simplifies things as well.
My light in veg is a blurple/cob affair with just the cob turned on in a 24"x24"x48" tent.
In flower I use a @Budget LED 125w fixture in a 27"x27"x60" tent.
Veg will probably be about 70 days when the flower tent should become available. I may turn on the blurple and start the flip in the veg tent a little sooner.
Will probably use a two-gallon pot and will quadline to keep the height under control. There will be some defoliation along the way.

That's all I can think of at the moment but writing it all out like that makes me realize how unique we are all going to be.

We dropped our seed in a shot glass yesterday and moved to paper towel this morning.
Day 00b-2.JPG

So there we are! A tiny bundle of potential.

Tomorrow, she should have a tap root and I will plant her in a solo cup when it is about 1/2 an inch long.

:popcorn:

Subbed up for this one. Hope to drop my Black Sugar beans in the next week.
I’m here and seated. Snacks at the ready. Great start
Along for the ride :)
:popcorn: count me in.
I made it in Hutch!

Welcome friends and fellow Canadians! Looks like we are going to have a really nice group of growers checking out these Seedsman genetics.

I was going to do an update sooner but we had a little disaster, the solo cup with our soaked seed fell over, ok, I knocked it over, and a whole lot of dirt fell out. Quite a mess but there was a wet lump in the middle so I carefully returned the dirt. In the meantime I started germinating a second Black Sugar seed. Pro tip: starting a second seed is the best way to get your first seed to sprout...
Day 01-1.JPG

Day 01-2.JPG

It's not much, not very big at all, but it's there! Once one of these weeds breaks ground it is virtually impossible to kill it - we are on our way!

Ack...Here. I missed it...probably some others. I smoke you know. :straightface:

:snowboating: subbed!

Grow Style
I grow in straight Promix HP, and therefore do not need to ph my tapwater.

Care to provide some insight on why ph not needed? I'm curious as Im growing in promix hp as well.

:snowboating: subbed!

Care to provide some insight on why ph not needed? I'm curious as Im growing in promix hp as well.

Hey 780! Welcome aboard. @InTheShed did the work on this and created a comprehensive thread on the subject based on his conversations with a promix rep.
Do We Need to ph adjust our nutrient solutions

I put away the ph pen last summer and haven't looked back. It's hard to believe at first but I have had a couple of grows since then that were just fine. Promix HP is the perfect substrate for cannabis if you like to keep it simple. I have seen comparisons with coco and I believe coco may produce marginally larger yields but at the price of a lot of extra work.

Check out @InTheShed's journal if you haven't already. Lot's of banter but there are always a lot of veteran growers sharing knowledge.

Hey 780! Welcome aboard. @InTheShed did the work on this and created a comprehensive thread on the subject based on his conversations with a promix rep.
Do We Need to ph adjust our nutrient solutions

I put away the ph pen last summer and haven't looked back. It's hard to believe at first but I have had a couple of grows since then that were just fine. Promix HP is the perfect substrate for cannabis if you like to keep it simple. I have seen comparisons with coco and I believe coco may produce marginally larger yields but at the price of a lot of extra work.

Check out @InTheShed's journal if you haven't already. Lot's of banter but there are always a lot of veteran growers sharing knowledge.

I've definitely started reading this but never finished it. Back to it I go!

Starting is all you need to do :cheesygrinsmiley:. Page 1, post 1. Then read the second link I posted and you're completely up to date. The rest of the thread is just folks agreeing or disagreeing, as if it was just some theory the ProMix guy came up with.

my PH from my municipal water is 7.8....so your saying whatever it is AFTER nutes added I dont need to PH? wow....maybe i'll try this and not PH at all for my next grow. :idea:

@HutchBenedict ....what is PH of the water your using? Ill definitely be keeping an eye to see how your grow goes without adding PH down or UP!

Back
Top Bottom