Hutch's Canadian Grow Comparison Featuring Black Sugar

Looking great Hutch.Let the bondage begin. Just started my training tonight also. One day I’ll try mainlining. Hope all is well.Magic
Come mainline with me.

Had some fun with Black Sugar today. I removed four young fan leaves to expose the lower growth we are trying to promote. Here's a picture before the pruning:
IMG-4832b.JPG

I have outlined the four leaves destined for the compost bin...

...and a few seconds later.
IMG-4844.JPG

Because we are using two gallon pots I am going to limit this plant to 8 colas. The four colas we have now will continue to grow horizontally to the edge of the pot and then they will be allowed to grow vertically. More than one additional shoot will be exposed as she grows, two per node. I will choose which of the shoots is best established on each branch and remove the others. So that's the four we have now and one more for each branch. It will be a challenge to keep an even canopy with those 8 tops but it will be fun!

The Baron approves !
:thumb:

Are you still feeding at 4.5g / 4 L?

The Baron approves !
:thumb:

Are you still feeding at 4.5g / 4 L?
Thanks, it's nice when a few simple cuts is all we need. I went down to 3.5 grams based on the comments here and last feeding was 4.0. If I was going to transplant I would probably have kept pushing it but this 2-gallon is the final pot. I wanted to avoid the risk of buildup and lock-out as she'll be in that pot for the next three months.

Here's the latest pic.
Day 39-2.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar - Day 39 - 3" tall - Two gallon pot

Two shoots are growing out nicely from each of the top two horizontal shoots. One of each will eventually be removed to make clones and the other two will be new colas. The bottom two horizontal shoots have grown out towards the side of the pot but the growth at the nodes is just getting started.

The wonky black sugar #2 is being kept in veg. At the moment she is still thinking I want her to grow but starvation and lack of water will put an end to that!
Day 35.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar #2 - Day 35 - 3" tall - Two gallon pot

Sheez, time flies! Almost a week since last update so let's have a look at how Black Sugar is doing
Day 45.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar - Day 45 - 3" tall - Two gallon pot

We are continuing to build on the quadline formation to create a robust undercarriage. I would like to veg her for a couple more weeks before hitting the flower tent. Two days ago she received one litre of water with 4.5gm/gn Mega Crop. Tomorrow or the next day she will get two or more litres at the same level of M.C.

Her sister is not cooperating with my efforts to slow her down to a crawl, but she will!
Day 41.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar #2 - Day 41

Twisted and bent her stems. She receives 60ml or so of water every 4 days with 2gm/gn M.C. in every other feeding. She hasn't quite realized her situation yet.

Sheez, time flies! Almost a week since last update so let's have a look at how Black Sugar is doing
Day 45.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar - Day 45 - 3" tall - Two gallon pot

We are continuing to build on the quadline formation to create a robust undercarriage. I would like to veg her for a couple more weeks before hitting the flower tent. Two days ago she received one litre of water with 4.5gm/gn Mega Crop. Tomorrow or the next day she will get two or more litres at the same level of M.C.

Her sister is not cooperating with my efforts to slow her down to a crawl, but she will!
Day 41.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar #2 - Day 41

Twisted and bent her stems. She receives 60ml or so of water every 4 days with 2gm/gn M.C. in every other feeding. She hasn't quite realized her situation yet.
Looking great. Both plants looking healthy. Thumbs up. Magic

The foundation is built, and its looking like a solid framework for the next 3 months.

Thanks guys! We have a predicament, there's room in the flower tent but our Black Sugar is not ready for prime time!
Day 50.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar - Day 50 - 3" tall - Two gallon pot

Sorry about the blurple. She was only getting 10,000 or so lux so I raised her up 6 inches and turned on the blurple to boost light so now she's getting around 20,000 lux. May increase more in a couple of days. I would like to have 8-10 strong bud sites about 6-7" tall. Not sure how much stretch to expect but I'd like her finished height about 18-20". Since she's an indica can we expect her to double? Not knowing I'll assume more like triple, hence 6".

I've never had an indica stretch that much, but my plants are bigger when I flip them so that might account for some of the difference.

Quadlining will always slow down the plants, but the bump in lux should speed things along!
Good to know, I'll let her get bigger then.

BTW, do you know if it is common practice to remove the buds from the branches and just put the buds in the bags when you dry low and slow?

Day 54.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar - Day 54 - 2.75" tall - Two gallon pot

This is only my second attempt at growing photoperiods and I must say I have learned a lot! I think the most important lesson I've learned is to go easy on the defoliation during early veg. These plants would be much bigger if I had let them grow out more before removing fan leaves which are the "growth engines". The second lesson, of course, is to not forget to increase illumination as the plant progresses.

This plant has reached the point where all the shoots can now be allowed to grow straight up. I will be supercropping as necessary to keep the canopy even. Projected flip date: March 1st.

Back
Top Bottom