Hutch's Perpetual Grow Journal

Am looking at the ts-1000, sf-1000 and the Phlizon Cree Cob 1000 as replacements for my cheap blurple Aglex 600W. The ts and sf are similar but the sf has better Samsung diodes. The Phlizon adds COBs. Does anyone have an opinion on which would yield the better results in a 30" x 30" tent?

Good day everyone! Here's the daily update...

Day 09.JPG

Lambs Breath Day 9

Plant's a little fuzzy but the Promix looks great! Maybe tomorrow we'll focus on the plant instead because node three is starting to come in. Little does it know that it will be compost in a week or so when the plant gets topped. Some spacing is occurring between node 1 and 2 due to the low lighting. Hopefully this isn't a sign the plants are going to be lanky but in any case will make the topping easier. Going to continue with only 8,000 lux, as recommended, until they begin to veg.

Day 09.JPG

AK-48 Day 9

She is beginning to distinguish herself from her sister. Wider leaves and not quite as tall, about 3" now compared to 3.5" for the Lambs Breath.

Just finished decarbing 1.5 oz. high quality trim in the oven at 235 degrees for two hours in a special silicon bowl with cover. Trichomes aren't attracted to silicon the way they are to metal and glass. When it cools we are going to make some infused oil by adding it to 1.5 cups Coconut oil and some water in a crockpot where it will simmer for several hours.

Have been reading here on 420mag all the many ways people are using this oil. I wonder if anyone has found an oil strain that will soothe restless legs? I have found that, for me, taking oil for two or three days in a row actually seems to bring it on and make it worse. Of course, smoking cannabis works right away but that's not always what I want.

10:30am
Just finished adding 14 grams fine mixed trim to 250ml organic coconut oil and 100ml water in a crockpot on the low setting. I will let that simmer for several hours. Later, probably tomorrow, I will report back on the strength and effect.
Check the temp on your water bath in the crock-pot. I've found the "low" setting on mine isn't hot enough.... I'm sure each pot burns different.

I've found, with mine, the High setting keeps my water bath at 180°+/- 5°.

Can't wait to hear your report back!
:thumb:

Here's today's update...

Day 10.JPG

Lambs Breath Day 10

Day 10.JPG

AK-48 Day 10

Plants have not grown vertically for a couple of days but they are on the verge of rapid growth over the next couple of weeks in preparation for their "auto" flowers. Hoping to support this growth I gave both plants their first feeding.

First we added 2.5ml Pro-Tekt to our gallon of tap water, this "supplies silicon and higher levels of potassium to build stronger plant cell walls" and "Since silicon does not trans-locate within the plant, it must be applied and made available continually throughout the plant's life cycle". Pro-Tekt is always added to the water first.

Our nutes are General Hydroponics Flora series. I then added 1ml each from the three bottles in the series. They call for 1/4 tsp or 1.25ml for seedlings so we're close but generally the recommended dose on the bottle is for large photoperiod plants. I will usually be feeding at about 50%.

Each plant was fed 1 litre (2 cups) of this mild mix. There's no point in drenching the pot at this stage especially since we want it to get dry between waterings and we would like to get a couple more feedings in before they decide to flower. I poured about 125ml straight down the centre to make sure the tap root is getting fed and the rest in a circle about 2" from the plants.

Also, the light was lowered a bit to provide a little more energy. Lux measured at 9,200. I noticed that the light shines at a slight angle due to the power cord and that AK-48 was getting more than the Lambs Breath. I think they are getting equal amounts of light now.

I am excited to see what tomorrow will bring. Watching plants grow can be frustrating but over time it seems like the careful monitoring helps develop patience until you kind of sync up with plant-time. Also, I'm finding that daily photos and this daily journalling really helps to tune in to the plants.

Hi everybody, here's today's update...

Day 11.JPG

Lambs Breath Day 11

Maybe it was increasing the lux that did it but LB is standing up straight today and probably needs no help. I'm a little concerned about the greyish markings on the leaves. The markings have been there from the beginning so I ignored them and I'm still inclined to do so. Insects?

Day 11.JPG

AK-48 Day 11

Looking good but I hope this is not an indica leaning phenotype. I suppose it's too young to come to that conclusion but the leaves are definitely wider than the Lambs Breath.

Here's the update for Day 12...

Day 12.JPG

Lambs Breath Day 12

Day 12.JPG

AK-48 Day 12

Yesterday I was worried about this AK being an indica phenotype. Well, after a little research on the Nirvana Seeds website I discovered that AK-48 Auto has always been "mainly indica". :oops: I guess I was misled by the name as AK-47 is mainly sativa. Reviews also seem confused. In any case it is supposed to finish quickly so we'll know soon enough.

Hi folks. Today's update...

Day 13.JPG

Lambs Breath Day 13

Removed the training wheels as she seems to be getting a nice strong stem. Could be the silica from a couple of days ago or could just be normal maturation. Those silvery splotches persist, it will be interesting to see if it is on the third node leaves. Must be a genetic thing because bugs would be on the AK-48 by now. Speaking of whom...

Day 13.JPG

AK-48 Day 13

Tiny little leaves are visible if you look real close even in this blurry picture. They are the first hint of node 4. This plant is healthy and we should have our five nodes pretty soon. I'm thinking I will quad this plant but not the LB. The LB will be slowed-down by any surgery and I really want her down by December 10th. That means she has to grow from germination to chop in 84 days. My previous Lambs Breaths took 107 and 98 days. The 107 was topped and the 98 had a lot of LST and was re-potted so I think this will work. Mostly cloudy no amber should be fine for this nice sativa. The AK-48 is supposed to be ready at about that time.

Update on the crockpot oil we made the other day. It turned out pretty good with a 4-5mg effect from 1/4 tsp. That seems like enough for gummies! So MrsB picked up some jello, gelatin and corn syrup and I have ordered a pack of molds from the zon due Wednesday. We will be using a recipe found right here on the 420mag Preston9mm's gummy recipe. I hope it will work with coconut oil instead of EVOO. Update to follow...

Update on the crockpot oil we made the other day. It turned out pretty good with a 4-5mg effect from 1/4 tsp. That seems like enough for gummies! So MrsB picked up some jello, gelatin and corn syrup and I have ordered a pack of molds from the zon due Wednesday. We will be using a recipe found right here on the 420mag Preston9mm's gummy recipe. I hope it will work with coconut oil instead of EVOO. Update to follow...
Works great with coconut oil, just be sure to get "fractionated coconut oil". The normal stuff will clump up when it cools.

:thumb:

Update for day 15...

Day 15c.JPG

Lambs Breath Day 15 - 11,000 lux

Day 15a.JPG

AK-48 Day 15 - 11,000 lux

As you can see the RH is 31% at soil level, it's about 28% away from the soil. I realize this is too low but it's the best I can do at the moment. Wet towel only raises RH 3% and is a hassle. Going to try open containers of water.

Tent 19-10-02b.JPG

Six containers of water. Will it make a difference?

Gummy Bear Update!

Gummy Bears #1.JPG

Pistachio Gummies - brown bits are the nuts.

Our adventure into candy making was a bit of a disaster during preparation. I wanted to make 1/2 the recipe but somehow made a mistake with the gelatin and added an extra packet. The mix never really turned into a liquid and began to jell right away. The droppers were totally useless so we used a spoon to spread it over the tray and press the substance into the molds. That worked ok for awhile. Big mistake using pistachio jello though, something clear like Grape would work better I'm sure.

In the end we got one tray and assorted clumps of gel which we cut up into bear-sized bits for a hundred or so treats. They taste pretty good but we need to experiment a bit more to know the potency. Three at bedtime seemed to make my head spin but I had also smoked some Lambs Breath so can't be sure. Took three more an 1.5 hours ago and don't feel anything. We'll see...

MrsB and I will be experimenting over the next few days. We would like to avoid using Jello so we will be trying out some online recipes for gummies from scratch. I'll be using 1/4 canola oil instead of cannabis oil until we get it right. :yummy:

Gummy Bears Again

Natural Gummies.JPG

The picture above is from our experiment with a non-Jello recipe. It turned out quite well. The cross-section shows a pale substance on the bottom, this is probably the oil and it can be seen that it is not the same in all the gummys. Fractionated coconut oil should work better than this. And just so I don't forget here is the recipe:

Natural Cannabis Gummys
3/4 cup fruit juice
1/4 cup cannabis oil
2 tablespoons corn syrup
3 packets, ie. 21g, gelatin
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Whisk all ingredients in unheated saucepan until well blended. Place on medium heat until gelatin is melted. Drop into molds and let set for 15 minutes and then into freezer for 1/2 an hour. Pop out of mold and serve.

Also, I figured out the problem with our first batch, pistachio Jello is made with corn starch, not gelatin like every other f-ing flavour they sell! Cornstarch thickens as it heats, gelatin thickens as it cools. Highly recommended that you use a gelatin based flavour.

Hi everyone, here's today's update...

Day 17.JPG

Lambs Breath Day 17, 11,500 lux

Day 17.JPG

AK-48 Day 17, 11,500 lux

Feeding
Both plants received their 2nd feeding last night. 2ml/gallon each of the GH trio, 2.5ml/gallon Pro-Tekt and 5ml/gallon blackstrap molasses. Two litres each. Did not ph.

Ordered the free 500g packet of Megacrop, should be here Monday but may not use it right away. I've never used molasses before and I'd like to see if there's a difference.

Meanwhile we may have problems with our outdoor patio grow. The Seedsman Amnesia Haze Auto was chopped 6 days ago. It had had powdery mildew on the leaves but this didn't seem to affect the buds. Sprayed with H2O2 solution and washed in Baking Soda solution then H2O2 solution and finally plain water and hung for 5 days. I put the almost dry bud in mason jars but the RH was in the 70's. I tried burping but last evening the RH zoomed to the mid-80's. The buds are out now drying on a flat surface with a fan over them. They seem much better but there is some browning. Is that brown area bud rot? Is the crop is ruined?

IMG-1964.JPG

Browning... Is that rot???
You should look into getting some Bovita 62s.

Hi everyone, here's today's update...

Day 17.JPG

Lambs Breath Day 17, 11,500 lux

Day 17.JPG

AK-48 Day 17, 11,500 lux

Feeding
Both plants received their 2nd feeding last night. 2ml/gallon each of the GH trio, 2.5ml/gallon Pro-Tekt and 5ml/gallon blackstrap molasses. Two litres each. Did not ph.

Ordered the free 500g packet of Megacrop, should be here Monday but may not use it right away. I've never used molasses before and I'd like to see if there's a difference.
Plants are coming along nicely...

Just a heads up... I’m not sure having your humidity gauge in the dirt is a good spot for it. I think it actually measures the air flow from the bottom. (Did on mine)
I know the plants are smaller now, but you’ll want it at the canopy level at some point.
I actually had one above and below in my room when they got bigger.
66B80C18-8CC5-4FA9-8FA8-77D0ECEA531E.jpeg

I used an antenna (flag holder), so I could raise it as they grew. I just drilled a hole in the floor to hold it.The one on the bottom was a wireless type... I kept it on the bottom side.
452FBC00-0B7B-4AE6-BE3F-125D0B50AA04.jpeg

Also...
Have you given Emilyas watering article a read? It seems from the pictures that you aren't hitting the edges completely.

Sorry, not trying to hound you, just pointing out some things that bit me on my grow. Just curious... why no pH check?

Back
Top Bottom