Hydro Coco Quasi Hempy Grow

Re: Bandit420's Hydro Coco Quasi Hempy Grow

Very nice DIY & clever use of the T-Connector! :bravo:

I like your 420 buckets, too!

Thanks bro!! i might have to pull those back out for 4/20 :Rasta:

Sweet stuff bro! I'm watching and taking notes... I think I just smoked my pencil. :smokin:

Pencil thai stick sum good $h1t! :tokin:

Hey Bandit - great stuff as always! Love the Waterfarm info - I'm still planning and figuring for upgrading my space, hopefully this summer. Info like this really adds to my pool of knowledge. Thanks brother!

Oh, and Mr. Krip - great visual on the Waterfarm, too. Love it!

Thanks Bro! Any questions? Fire away!

I love catching up on this grow. Always good conversation and great projects and not based entirely on the harvest, but the projects building up to harvest.

Really great work. I am definitely excited to see how the H&G works. I have a friend who is trying to convince me to use it. But he disagrees with most of the line and is convinced that the kiss method using only COCO A+B and bud xl in straight coco, is the way to go. For exactly the reason you stated about House and Garden being precision nutes.

ALso love the DIY hydro setups. Id like to try hydro but with the shelves only being 3ft tall, i would have to modify it to be a short broad bucket. which would be hard if possible? Im gunna prolly end up PM you to ask for some help as i havnt every built or done hydro before.
Good work sir. +reps if i can

Hey bandit. I remember asking you before about the digigro coco ppm controller.
What im trying to figure out. Is with that, how do you work it with the fans.
Do you set the fans on a timer, just to keep your temps constant. (say on for 15 minutes every 45 minutes or an hour? or any other time example). Im trying to figure out what equipment im going to need to
1. get a good system that controls my co2 ppm.
2.get a system that doesnt drain my co2 by keeping it on when the fans are on to keep it at 1500.
3. wont drain my entire bank account.

from what you have said. i am definitely interested in that system. for the money, and from what i have read about the product. especially the combo with the regulator. seems the best deal around on a co2 controller.. i plan on hooking it up to a cap air-4 system most likely after my first harvest.
but any help you could offer would be magical.
Glad you like the journal FN!!
On the co2 I find it best to seal up the grow space as well as possible and dont exaust it during lights on. If you do need to exaust it, work the timers and co2 controller so that when the exaust is on, the co2 is off.
For example the way I run mine is with no exaust during lights on. The bloom cab is sealed up and I use fans inside the cab to move the co2 laden air around.
To control the humidity during this no exaust period I use the Eva Dry mini dehumidifier.
If I need extra cooling I have a window unit ac with duct work attached so it can inject the cold air into the cab.
My lights are on their own air circuit and they are sealed too so when they exaust they dont pull out any gas.
And that's how i keep gas in the cab while still running fans and a cooling ac ;)

I've got yet another project or actually a couple more I'm working on.....
The 1st is a water purification and storge facility using an ro filter. This will be a shed in the backyard housing the filter system, a utility sink and two 55 gallon storage drums. On drum will have a sump pump so i can pump water from the storage drum to another storage drum inside the grow room...

IMG_18565.JPG

The next project is coming from the joy i have in gardening and hydroponics. This one is about having fun and learning something new...
Aquaponics!

I'll be starting a small pond stocked with goldfish that will feed this vertical hydro system.
This is gonna be a blast!!

IMG_18575.JPG

Modular hydropods that go vertical to make this sytem as big as you want. For this project I'm rockin a trio :Rasta:

IMG_18645.JPG

And here's roughly what the system will look like when it in action. A pump down in the pond will pump water up thru to the top of the vertical system where it will drain back down thru each pod and return to the pond.

Hey Bandit I'm glad to see this because you've been a real slacker the last 2-3 days haha!

I love the aquaponics, this will be fun to watch. Do you have to feed the goldfish anything special?

Hey Bandito! Hope everything is going well for you. I was wondering if you have anything new to report on the eva mini? Especially as a dehumidifier. Thanks bro.

Hey Bandit, First, great work and Journal. Don't want to highjack your journal but after some Google searches on the General Organics Go Line your old journals and posts showed up. I see that you have moved on to other things but I'm hoping to tap in to your experience. There's much info floating around for this product.
Last year I had my own journal up with Ebb'n'Grow and I've moved on to soil (less). The Go Line seems uncomplicated with not having to PH balance and I've had great results through veg. Bloom is where the issues start!
I'm on my third cycle with it and in the beginning I nuked the ladies as well. I have fought to have healthy girls through to the finish with good yields. I should clarify, the bud is fantastic and sticky, just light.
I feed according to the GO feed chart
I start showing an "N" def (I think) about week 2 bloom, this cycle I'm at week 4 and just showing "N" def now. This cycle I have feed once and watered twice. Plus I am continuing to add 25% grow nutes for the additional "N".
Serious yellowing now :( 4 wks left.
The environment is pretty good and stable. Earlier grows I had CO2 running. Not this cycle. Lights on temp 70-82 RH 45-50, Lights off 68-69 Rh 40 I run a dehum for a couple of hours.

At first I thought I might be locking something out??? But it seems this might be a common issue...
Any advice! I read through your previous journal and I am working my way through this one
TKS

Mmmmmm, fish and coco chips :yummy:

:thumb:
Hey Bandit I'm glad to see this because you've been a real slacker the last 2-3 days haha!

I love the aquaponics, this will be fun to watch. Do you have to feed the goldfish anything special?

lol been real busy lately...cant wait for some time off from work! :tokin:
Nothing special for the fish....flake food at first when they're small and when they get big i give them koi food

Hey Bandito! Hope everything is going well for you. I was wondering if you have anything new to report on the eva mini? Especially as a dehumidifier. Thanks bro.

I like the ed. One charge last about 8 weeks in my room and then it recharges in about 8 hours.
It took my rh from about 50-60% down to 30%. I give it a :thumb:

I've been doing some research, mostly on youtube. You have a ton of great ideas man, thanks again for doing a great job informing us. :goodjob:
;)

Hey Bandit, First, great work and Journal. Don't want to highjack your journal but after some Google searches on the General Organics Go Line your old journals and posts showed up. I see that you have moved on to other things but I'm hoping to tap in to your experience. There's much info floating around for this product.
Last year I had my own journal up with Ebb'n'Grow and I've moved on to soil (less). The Go Line seems uncomplicated with not having to PH balance and I've had great results through veg. Bloom is where the issues start!
I'm on my third cycle with it and in the beginning I nuked the ladies as well. I have fought to have healthy girls through to the finish with good yields. I should clarify, the bud is fantastic and sticky, just light.
I feed according to the GO feed chart
I start showing an "N" def (I think) about week 2 bloom, this cycle I'm at week 4 and just showing "N" def now. This cycle I have feed once and watered twice. Plus I am continuing to add 25% grow nutes for the additional "N".
Serious yellowing now :( 4 wks left.
The environment is pretty good and stable. Earlier grows I had CO2 running. Not this cycle. Lights on temp 70-82 RH 45-50, Lights off 68-69 Rh 40 I run a dehum for a couple of hours.

At first I thought I might be locking something out??? But it seems this might be a common issue...
Any advice! I read through your previous journal and I am working my way through this one
TKS
Thanks Bro! I tripped out a few days ago when i went looking for info and started finding results with my pics and a boat load of links to my journals. Crazy stuff. I googled Bandit420 once and this journal was the first hit :Rasta:

What kind of soil are you using with the GO?
I used either Fox Farm Ocean Forest + Happy Frog + Light Warrior or Roots 707 when I used GO. Also what size containers are you in?

A lot of times when the roots hit the bottom of a container and start coiling some nute defs can happen because the roots are piling on top of each other rather than being woven thru the soil where they can easily get food.

I used a simple formula of 10ml Bio Bloom + 5ml of Bio Bud every other watering. I also used the Bio Marine in between feedings if I saw N def. That stuff is instant N and works great during bloom. I would also use Bio Weed every other week as an extra supplement during bloom.
I also use a mycorrizae innoculant that helps keep the soil alive and rich. Check out products like Plant Success Soluble & Great White, Roots Oregonism, and GH Subculture M if you're not already using one of these types of products :goodluck:

IMG_18893.JPG

IMG_18904.JPG

Flood Zone!!! TG in flood mode w/ venus flytrap plants enjoying the t5 and hopefully catching any gnats, moths, or flies that try to pay a visit :morenutes: :Rasta:

IMG_18874.JPG

IMG_18853.JPG

Rez change! 25 gallons of ro water & H&G base nutes.
I take the plumbing off the pump and stick it to the side wall of the rez to help blend the nutes. Helps a lot especially with the H&G add this and wait a few minutes before adding the next nute method of mixing nutes.

Thanks for the reply Bandit,
I'm using Sunshine #4 soil mix in 3 gal containers. I don't think there are issues with the roots. I check the roots at the end of every cycle and nothing has been apparent so far.

I feed according to the Go chart, I have not used any subculture???

Grow: per gal
10ml Biothrive Grow
10ml Bio Root
5ml CaMg+
2.5 ml Bio Weed
10ml Diamond Black

Bloom: per gal
8 ml Biothrive Bloom + 2 ml Biothrive Grow
10 ml Bio Root to 5 ml then deleted by week three
5 ml CaMg+
2.5 ml Bio Bud
10 ml Diamon Black

I have never used the Bio Marine

I know the girls are (look) happier this cycle now that I give them one feed to two waterings. I'm probably just simply giving them way to much of everything. Or giving them stuff that unnecessary at the time?

They just don't seem to have the vigor or pack on the weight i'm used to seeing.

Bravo, Bandit, it's dead.

You killed it. Hope your happy with yourself.

Planning to do some killin it myself and according to google you're maybe the only person on this planet who might be able to help in my quest for a perfect coco blend.

The goal is to strike a balance between aeration and watering frequency. Would like to water no more than once a day even during peak flowering, but if it came down to it would err on the side of twice per day at peak flower for the sake of aeration.

Will have 11 ladies under 1K in 5 gal cheapo grow bags. Hoping you might have a clue on how to nail the once a day waterings in flower while maxing out aeration.

Gonna start with a base of botanicare cocogro cuz it's got larger particles/fibers than most coirs which should give better aeration.

So am deciding whether to cut the cocogro with hydrofarm coco chips or foxfarm big & chunky perlite.

Wondering how well the chips soak up and hold water compared to the perlite? From your pics of em they look kinda woody, like they wouldn't soak much up? Will be watering by hand so not as much contact time as a good flood.

So do you think coco chips or chunky perlite would hold more water? Want to use the one that holds the most so I can aerate more but retain moisture. Also, have any idea on what percent to mix in?

Am a first timer in coco so help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Bandit,
I'm using Sunshine #4 soil mix in 3 gal containers. I don't think there are issues with the roots. I check the roots at the end of every cycle and nothing has been apparent so far.

I feed according to the Go chart, I have not used any subculture???

Grow: per gal
10ml Biothrive Grow
10ml Bio Root
5ml CaMg+
2.5 ml Bio Weed
10ml Diamond Black

Bloom: per gal
8 ml Biothrive Bloom + 2 ml Biothrive Grow
10 ml Bio Root to 5 ml then deleted by week three
5 ml CaMg+
2.5 ml Bio Bud
10 ml Diamon Black

I have never used the Bio Marine

I know the girls are (look) happier this cycle now that I give them one feed to two waterings. I'm probably just simply giving them way to much of everything. Or giving them stuff that unnecessary at the time?

They just don't seem to have the vigor or pack on the weight i'm used to seeing.

I would definately add Bio Bud & Bio Marine. Those two will cover all the bases not covered by the bloom & grow. Bio Bud will bring the weight you're looking for too.
I would also add the mycorrhizae. The beneficials will help adjust ph for you making sure all nutes are available to your ladies. :goodluck:

You killed it. Hope your happy with yourself.

Planning to do some killin it myself and according to google you're maybe the only person on this planet who might be able to help in my quest for a perfect coco blend.

The goal is to strike a balance between aeration and watering frequency. Would like to water no more than once a day even during peak flowering, but if it came down to it would err on the side of twice per day at peak flower for the sake of aeration.

Will have 11 ladies under 1K in 5 gal cheapo grow bags. Hoping you might have a clue on how to nail the once a day waterings in flower while maxing out aeration.

Gonna start with a base of botanicare cocogro cuz it's got larger particles/fibers than most coirs which should give better aeration.

So am deciding whether to cut the cocogro with hydrofarm coco chips or foxfarm big & chunky perlite.

Wondering how well the chips soak up and hold water compared to the perlite? From your pics of em they look kinda woody, like they wouldn't soak much up? Will be watering by hand so not as much contact time as a good flood.

So do you think coco chips or chunky perlite would hold more water? Want to use the one that holds the most so I can aerate more but retain moisture. Also, have any idea on what percent to mix in?

Am a first timer in coco so help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to 420 BUDBARIAN!

I would go with a blend of one block of chips mixed with one or two bricks of GH cocotek.
Use a calmag supplement to precharge & rinse the coco before using and it should do the job for you.
The chips look like wood but are not as firm. They kinda have a texture like styrofoam. They dont hold water like a sponge but they do hold a little bit of water....like a sponge that has excess water squeezed out....it's still wet but not waterlogged if that makes any sense :Rasta:
:peacetwo:

bandit you always are impressing me bro, i cant wait to see the aquaponics in action, ive been researching such systems for quite a while, never stumbled upon something nifty like that tho, mostly big bulky systems.

How will you extract the harmful run off from the plants before the water is returned back to the pond? Forget what is in there, but some video i watched from a university mentioned something toxic to the fish.

I have been having some cal/mag problems myself and totally forgot how you pre-loaded your chips.

awesome man as usual

Thanks brother. Excellent advice.

Been studying for this switch to coco for months, lately my girl sez I talk about rinsing and buffering coco in my sleep. :thumb:

So you'd recommend a mix with over 50% chips? Hydrofarm sez the chips rehydrate to 2 cu ft and GH sez each brick hydrates to .6 cu ft. At 1 brick chip to 2 bricks coir it comes out to 63% chip : 37% coir.

Really would love that to work for once a day watering cuz the aeration sounds great, but hand waterin twice a day ain't my bag.

Planned the whole show just by reading, but this last part requires first hand knowledge b4 I go and drop 3 bills on coir and chips(300 gal worth) and you're the only one that's posted about using the HF chips. Basically you might be savin me here.

Saw your momma's way back in the thread, looked like a crouton, chip, coir mix.

What's the ratio on their mix and how often ya soakin em?

Also, how tall are they?

Roughly speaking how sure are ya that a 60/40 chip to coir mix could be watered once a day while remaining somewhat moist until the next watering, with maybe a little dryness right on the surface?

bandit you always are impressing me bro, i cant wait to see the aquaponics in action, ive been researching such systems for quite a while, never stumbled upon something nifty like that tho, mostly big bulky systems.

How will you extract the harmful run off from the plants before the water is returned back to the pond? Forget what is in there, but some video i watched from a university mentioned something toxic to the fish.

I have been having some cal/mag problems myself and totally forgot how you pre-loaded your chips.

awesome man as usual

Thanks Bro!!!
I believe it's the nitrates that's toxic to the fish if they build up. That's where the hydro garden comes into play because it becomes the biological & mechanical filter for the pond :Namaste:

Been studying for this switch to coco for months, lately my girl sez I talk about rinsing and buffering coco in my sleep. :thumb:

So you'd recommend a mix with over 50% chips? Hydrofarm sez the chips rehydrate to 2 cu ft and GH sez each brick hydrates to .6 cu ft. At 1 brick chip to 2 bricks coir it comes out to 63% chip : 37% coir.

Really would love that to work for once a day watering cuz the aeration sounds great, but hand waterin twice a day ain't my bag.

Planned the whole show just by reading, but this last part requires first hand knowledge b4 I go and drop 3 bills on coir and chips(300 gal worth) and you're the only one that's posted about using the HF chips. Basically you might be savin me here.

Also, how tall are they?

Roughly speaking how sure are ya that a 60/40 chip to coir mix could be watered once a day while remaining somewhat moist until the next watering, with maybe a little dryness right on the surface?

Those mamas were in the same blend we talked about....sweet math btw!
They were about 5' tall but I had to keep cutting them back so they easily could have been 7-8 footers if i had the head room.
I would have great confidence in the 60/40 blend. You could probably get away with a straight chips medium but since your working with a 1K watter and large plants the mixed blend will give you a bit more water retention when they go into heavy food & water uptake + the extra moisture could come in handy if the 1K keeps the grow space on the warm side of things.
:goodluck: and much respect to you for the size of project you have going!!! :Namaste:

Bandit
hey buddy just seeing what you are up to.
Rockin the turbo Buddy!! :high-five:

I don't come around for a minute and when I get back here you got all kinds of projects goin on. Everything looks fine tuned as usual;)
I'm the same way Bro. I need to make my rounds to all my favorite threads....been so darn busy with work, Spring cleaning and other projects ;)
I'll be stopping by your amazing thread soon! :hookah:

Hey Bandit!

:thumb:

lol been real busy lately...cant wait for some time off from work! :tokin:
Nothing special for the fish....flake food at first when they're small and when they get big i give them koi food

I really want to see this. I used to keep ciclids in a 150 gal tank, damn I wish I still had that. That tank was a no goldfish zone for sure, they'd last maybe 30 minutes.

I like the ed. One charge last about 8 weeks in my room and then it recharges in about 8 hours.
It took my rh from about 50-60% down to 30%. I give it a :thumb:

Thanks for the feedback I've been posting this on a bunch of grows with due props for your awesome journal of course :high-five:

Thanks Bro! I tripped out a few days ago when i went looking for info and started finding results with my pics and a boat load of links to my journals. Crazy stuff. I googled Bandit420 once and this journal was the first hit :Rasta:

Haha I hope you remember us little people now that you're a Google Star :cheer:

What kind of soil are you using with the GO?
I used either Fox Farm Ocean Forest + Happy Frog + Light Warrior or Roots 707 when I used GO. Also what size containers are you in?

A lot of times when the roots hit the bottom of a container and start coiling some nute defs can happen because the roots are piling on top of each other rather than being woven thru the soil where they can easily get food.

I used a simple formula of 10ml Bio Bloom + 5ml of Bio Bud every other watering. I also used the Bio Marine in between feedings if I saw N def. That stuff is instant N and works great during bloom. I would also use Bio Weed every other week as an extra supplement during bloom.
I also use a mycorrizae innoculant that helps keep the soil alive and rich. Check out products like Plant Success Soluble & Great White, Roots Oregonism, and GH Subculture M if you're not already using one of these types of products :goodluck:

I've got some of that Sunshine Organic Soil too plus Epsoma Bio-Starter that has the mycorrizae innoculant and some organic trf's called Mater Magic.

I just popped some tomato, pepper & bean seeds into water this morning, I'm going to learn how to grow in soil the right way. I'm psyched.

ps where the hell do you get venus flytraps? I'd love to have some of them :cheer:

Also, how tall are they?

Hey BudBarian! Have you considered hempy? TwoTokes is having real good luck with coco hempies, he mixes them with small lava rocks. No way you'd be watering more than once a day and if your containers are decent sized, every 2-3 days.

Back
Top Bottom